Wallander (BBC)

..and why not?
Samoan

Wallander (BBC)

Postby Samoan » 18 Feb 2018, 10:38

Great isn't it although last nights episode, "An Event in Autumn" was almost noir too far.
I'll never think of gathering blackcurrants in the same way again.

Last edited by Samoan on 18 Feb 2018, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Pansy Puff

Re: Wallander (BBC)

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 10:44

Oh, bollocks, is it back on? I missed this. I love it: the crumpled reality of Kurt as he struggles through the world wanting to do the right thing, with a lovely mystery story throw in too.
I agree with the NYT about Branagh, too.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 18 Feb 2018, 10:46

Saturday nights (9 - 11pm) on the Drama channel (No. 20), K

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2018, 10:47

It's decent enough, but I wasn't keen on the last series which became so focused on Branagh's declining health, it seemed the crime plots were an after thought. Branagh's intense, introverted performance was also laid on rather thick for me, lacking light and shade and humour. I preferred both Swedish Wallanders which seemed both more naturalistic and authentic.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 10:54

Samoan wrote:Saturday nights (9 - 11pm) on the Drama channel (No. 20), K

Ah, then these have already been on the BBC? I vaguely recall blackberries.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 10:57

The Modernist wrote:It's decent enough, but I wasn't keen on the last series which became so focused on Branagh's declining health, it seemed the crime plots were an after thought. Branagh's intense, introverted performance was also laid on rather thick for me, lacking light and shade and humour. I preferred both Swedish Wallanders which seemed both more naturalistic and authentic.

I agree and disagree (Schroedinger's K). I think there is a level of naturalistic performance we misunderstand in foreign language performances. The act of reading subtitles adds a layer of comprehension, but also masks some weaknesses in the actors' performance. Therefore, in many scenes, it's harder to make comparisons than we realise.

Having said that, I also enjoyed the Swedish originals. I do need to tackle the books.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 18 Feb 2018, 13:14

It's been years since I saw either of the Swedish series - why the need, why two actors ? I found that unnecessarily confusing.
Of the two, Krister Henriksson's Wallander was the most engaging together with the more characterful co-stars in his series such as the forensic team member, Nyberg.(Mats Bergman)

But you can't beat the stunningly beautiful landscape photography of the episodes, and there are quite a few, with Branagh finding himself gambolling through a wheat, barley or mustard field in search of the truth.