UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

Glasgow
47%
Edinburgh
53%

Total votes: 15

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: UK cities ranking

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 16:03

OCT wrote:
Nick wrote:
OCT wrote:But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

Chattering class types love to slag off Brits abroad for doing that, but would never dream of applying the same standard to immigrants to the UK.

That's it.

Toby talks about 'integrating', but that's quite another thing. I'd argue it's close to impossible - and also that it's not necessarily even desirable.

I've lived in several places in Europe and I've never even felt close to becoming integrated. How do you do that?

Marry a local lass!

I've had this sorta discussion with people before where they emphasise the importance of folks like us going abroad to live and trying to learn the language but they don't care whether people come to this country and learn English at all. Hang on a minute, you know?! I think integration is desirable but more so when the clash between cultures is more pronounced and other factors come into it (religion, attitudes towards woman etc).
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 16:03

OCT wrote:
Bernie on FB wrote:I call it 'Griff's dilemma'

:lol:

Yes!

BURN
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 16:14

Goat Boy wrote:
I've had this sorta discussion with people before where they emphasise the importance of folks like us going abroad to live and trying to learn the language but they don't care whether people come to this country and learn English at all. Hang on a minute, you know?! I think integration is desirable but more so when the clash between cultures is more pronounced and other factors come into it (religion, attitudes towards woman etc).

Edited. Hmmm not an easy subject to discuss as JC says.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Feb 2018, 16:22

OCT wrote:
Toby wrote:I went to a wedding in Spain a few years back where the father of the bride told me that he had lived there for 25 years and took pride in the fact that he hadn't learnt a word of the language. I loathed him immediately.

I know a large number of people who've settled outside the UK and haven't bothered to learn (much of) the local language. Whatever. I don't know why it bothers people.

Because you can't really integrate into the community and get to know, and appreciate, the way of life. It seems incredibly lazy and insular to me. I'm with Toby on this one.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Feb 2018, 16:26

Yes, if only the politeness thing. I'm sure people going into shops here don't automatically expect to be understood if they ask for something in another language than English.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Feb 2018, 16:27

Bernie on FB wrote:
OCT wrote:Yeah, I know you should make the effort. I think the vast majority do pick up a few phrases, at least.

But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

I agree.
Only a knobhead would snarl at say, a Turkish cafe opening in Odsal Top wouldn't they? Or Polish cafes in Bradford? A reasonable person would say 'isn't it fabulous that people can find some sense of their homeland even though they are not there any more?'

Well to a point.. but when I look at some of the food items in the Polish aisle..inferior pressed meat products, cheap mayonnaise, I do wonder why they bother. Why not just buy the British stuff? I understand people find comfort in the familiar, but it can get to the point where it can be very insular and parochial.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 16:30

Belle Lettre wrote:Yes, if only the politeness thing. I'm sure people going into shops here don't automatically expect to be understood if they ask for something in another language than English.

True, but then English is far more widely understood and spoken the world over. As opposed to, say, Romanian, or Farsi.

One of the reasons Brits tend to be more lazy with the language thing is that we can afford to be. A German person will learn English partly because they know that they can travel the world over and often be understood in it.

I totally agree with the politeness thing, by the way.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 16:34

I once went on a safari in India with a bunch of foreigners and some of them were dead snooty towards me cos I didn't know any other language. Really quite dismissive. I didn't think it needed explaining that being British our relationship with foreign languages is different cos English is so universal but there you go..

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 16:40

The Modernist wrote:
OCT wrote:
Toby wrote:I went to a wedding in Spain a few years back where the father of the bride told me that he had lived there for 25 years and took pride in the fact that he hadn't learnt a word of the language. I loathed him immediately.

I know a large number of people who've settled outside the UK and haven't bothered to learn (much of) the local language. Whatever. I don't know why it bothers people.

Because you can't really integrate into the community and get to know, and appreciate, the way of life. It seems incredibly lazy and insular to me. I'm with Toby on this one.

It's probably worth sifting this into city and country contexts. In a city, particularly a capital, or one that is "international", then I think it is not so important. Cities can accommodate expat communities far more easily than rural ones. The way of life in a city is such that you might not speak to your neighbours in a year or indeed ever.

But in the country it is entirely different. You need to be able to integrate because life there is very much based on transactions that aren't monetary - like if you went away and wanted your neighbour to "look after" your property. Plus village life isn't often as gloriously pastoral as it is often made out to be.

I remember working with a girl who had been in Stoupa, in the south of Greece for a few years. It was made up of retired British people who had mostly read Patrick Leigh Fermor and moved out there. All the women were really excited, the men not so when preparing to move out there. Over the course of the year, like clockwork, the women couldn't stand the village life because it was so infernally gossipy, whilst the men loved it because they could be left alone to get on with things like painting etc. No-one made any effort to learn the language.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 16:41

Goat Boy wrote:I once went on a safari in India with a bunch of foreigners and some of them were dead snooty towards me cos I didn't know any other language. Really quite dismissive. I didn't think it needed explaining that being British our relationship with foreign languages is different cos English is so universal but there you go..

The irony is that English is one of the recognised official national languages of India, and because there are so many other regional languages there (17 or 18 official ones if I remember correctly, hundreds of unofficial) it's usually the easiest way for a person from Tamil Nadu to talk to a Punjabi.

Pub quiz trivia fact - until 2015, English was THE official language of Pakistan.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 16:43

Goat Boy wrote:I once went on a safari in India with a bunch of foreigners and some of them were dead snooty towards me cos I didn't know any other language. Really quite dismissive. I didn't think it needed explaining that being British our relationship with foreign languages is different cos English is so universal but there you go..

Yeah I've noticed that. It's almost taken as a given in Europe that you know at least one other language fluently. But then most places start learning English from a very early age and the impact of the internet and global culture accelerates this. I'm sure that if French were esperanto, most of us would be conversant in it at least.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2018, 16:46

The Modernist wrote:
Bernie on FB wrote:
OCT wrote:Yeah, I know you should make the effort. I think the vast majority do pick up a few phrases, at least.

But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

I agree.
Only a knobhead would snarl at say, a Turkish cafe opening in Odsal Top wouldn't they? Or Polish cafes in Bradford? A reasonable person would say 'isn't it fabulous that people can find some sense of their homeland even though they are not there any more?'

Well to a point.. but when I look at some of the food items in the Polish aisle..inferior pressed meat products, cheap mayonnaise, I do wonder why they bother. Why not just buy the British stuff? I understand people find comfort in the familiar, but it can get to the point where it can be very insular and parochial.

How far an immigrant should immerse themselves into local culture depends on the perceived and subjective deliciousness of their homeland foods?
I'll be interested to see how far you get with this
:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2018, 16:53

You may be tongue in cheek of course.
Which in itself sounds like an item in a Polish deli.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2018, 16:55

OCT wrote:
Bernie on FB wrote:I call it 'Griff's dilemma'

Yes!

By Facebook accounts, he's back in Spain now.

Again.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 17:00

sloopjohnc wrote:By Facebook accounts, he's back in Spain now.

Again.

Speaking English at the locals IN A VERY LOUD VOICE, no doubt.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Feb 2018, 17:08

You know perfectly well he speaks Spanish!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 17:08

He’ll be enjoying some local culture tonight, probably some bull fighting

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2018, 17:11

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Feb 2018, 17:19

Bernie on FB wrote:You may be tongue in cheek of course.
Which in itself sounds like an item in a Polish deli.

Question authority.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Feb 2018, 17:24

Bernie on FB wrote:
How far an immigrant should immerse themselves into local culture depends on the perceived and subjective deliciousness of their homeland foods?
I'll be interested to see how far you get with this
:D

Why? I don't think what I've said is at all contentious really. And my point was a lot of Polish food products aren't particularly good, we're not talking one of the world's great cuisines here.
When I was in Turkey, there were the occasional British food products that I'd miss...if you were making a cheese sandwich say, you'd think I'd love some Branston's pickle on this ( and you'd probably be wishing the cheese were Cheddar). However on the whole I was happy to buy their products and, more importantly, discover great stuff you couldn't get in Britain.

Return to “Nextdoorland”