Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Feb 2018, 17:15

I loved PTA and shall be going to see this very soon
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Feb 2018, 18:02

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Husbands and Wives

Allen's best '90s movie checks off all the boxes you'd expect from him at this point in his career. It's funny, but more profound, entertaining, yet thought-provoking. For me, it's up there with Crimes & Misdemeanors, Hannah & Her Sisters, Manhattan, and Annie Hall. Filmed while his life with Mia Farrow was unraveling. I don't think he's been this good since.

The hand-held camera renders it close to unwatchable.

Remember when it came out? the hand-held stuff was new for WA - as was the swearing. Middle-class families walking around drinking wine and saying 'fuck!' - like it didn't exist in his world before 1992!

I enjoyed the film but he lost something around then and never regained it.

I'm probably going to watch Radio Days again tonight.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Feb 2018, 20:14

Second viewing of this low-key New Zealand comedy-horror, concerning a young woman sentenced to house arrest at her mother's house in an attempt to provide the stability to direct her away from her repetitive small-time crime career. Once there, it quickly becomes apparent that the house has a sinister past, and may have an unwanted paranormal resident. Such a grounded sense of humour, and some genuinely tense moments, the comedy and horror aspects are both really successful. I like this one an awful lot.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Feb 2018, 21:57

Cast commentary track is a riot.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Feb 2018, 05:12

Heavy Metal

This was amusing to my friends and I in the early '80s, I even had the album. Pure adolescent male fantasy - sci fi meets sword and sorcery, with boobs. I don't know if there's ever really been anything like it. It doesn't work much beyond your teen years, but then that's when I first saw it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Feb 2018, 11:03

The Fog

Given the brilliance of Halloween and The Thing it’s understandable that The Fog is somewhat overlooked perhaps. Reviews have always been mixed although it does appear to have been reappraised somewhat over the years. It’s certainly not at the same level as those two but Carpenter had a fantastic grasp of horror for a while and this is the work of a director who knows what they are doing. Carpenter understood how to use space and music to create atmosphere and similar to Halloween there’s a sense of underlying malevolence in all the empty shots of the sleepy little seaside town that hint at the supernatural evil which is about to descend. When it does finally descend it maybe doesn’t quite crank things up to the desired levels but it’s more a slow burning thing anyway, heavy on atmosphere and less reliant on shocks and violence. I’m not sure if it was intended but its theme of the sins of the Fathers being revisited on the children and its proximity to Americas bicentennial celebrations suggested something allegorical to me.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Feb 2018, 12:01

it's a shame how quickly Carpenter lost his mojo, my favourite is Assault on Precinct 13.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Feb 2018, 12:17

We watched this on TV last night, quite accidentally.

It had several laugh-out-loud moments
I loved the lovingly conjured-up 70's vibe
I'd never thought Ryan Gosling would be any good at slapstick...

In short: nothing earth-shattering but great fun!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Feb 2018, 16:01

I pull this one out of the case pretty frequently.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 12 Feb 2018, 19:11

Neige wrote:We watched this on TV last night, quite accidentally.

It had several laugh-out-loud moments
I loved the lovingly conjured-up 70's vibe
I'd never thought Ryan Gosling would be any good at slapstick...

In short: nothing earth-shattering but great fun!

I enjoyed it too ,good fun indeed.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Feb 2018, 22:30

A big hit with the six year-old, I enjoyed this as well, but now I've got that goddamned Jay and The Americans song stuck in my head. :x
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Feb 2018, 11:03

Will & Grace.

It was like they were never away to be honest. They kinda advertised that they were going after trump with their jokes, so I was a bit weary of the same tired jokes about him. However, they were funny, a change from the norm. Setting the scene for the first episode stretched a bit too far but didn't take away from the fun of it. Welcome back folks.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Feb 2018, 11:35

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

A big hit with the six year-old, I enjoyed this as well, but now I've got that goddamned Jay and The Americans song stuck in my head. :x

My 10 year old liked it, but I basically sank into a pit of existential despair. I don't even begin to understand how this shit gets made, it's incoherent nonsense with no sense of excitement or character or plot or fucking anything. It's just a monument to glibness.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Feb 2018, 11:38

Thought it was a let down from the first one. Suffered from too many laughs in the wrong places, and the soundtrack didn't hold up compared to the first.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Feb 2018, 11:51

The Great Defector wrote:Will & Grace.

It was like they were never away to be honest. They kinda advertised that they were going after trump with their jokes, so I was a bit weary of the same tired jokes about him. However, they were funny, a change from the norm. Setting the scene for the first episode stretched a bit too far but didn't take away from the fun of it. Welcome back folks.

Is this not meant for the TV thread or have they made a movie of it?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Feb 2018, 11:55

Fuck the system, POWER TO THE PEOPLE MUTHAFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Feb 2018, 05:26

Night of the Living Dead

The granddaddy of zombie movies gets the Criterion treatment. 4K scan, two commentaries, a bonus disc of extras. Any questions?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Feb 2018, 16:21

I, Tonya (2017)

'I, Tonya' adopts that 'Wolf of Wall Street' style of narration of past events, with lots of fourth wall breaking. In this case, the story is told by several participants and/or close observers, but the focus of the movie is on Tonya, Jeff Gilooly and Tonya's mom. Tonya is painted as a rebel who was never given her fair shake, a victim of an abusive boyfriend and mother, but the movie somehow doesn't come across as too much of an apologist version of figure skating's greatest scandal. And despite the occasional comic turn the movie takes and the "I did it my way" ending, it is ultimately a tragedy.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Feb 2018, 16:33

^^^ I'm interested in that. Does it debunk the Kerrigan/Harding narrative that was essentially that of a "good" girl vs. a trashy one? Or is the counter-narrative itself insufficiently nuanced? I guess I could read up on it, but what's your take?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Feb 2018, 17:34

Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I'm interested in that. Does it debunk the Kerrigan/Harding narrative that was essentially that of a "good" girl vs. a trashy one? Or is the counter-narrative itself insufficiently nuanced? I guess I could read up on it, but what's your take?

Nancy Kerrigan is a surprisingly small character in this movie. Hardly any time is devoted to exploring the relationship between the two skaters, other than Tonya (as played by Margot Robbie) asserting that they were friends. For her part, Tonya embraces her status as a rednecky rebel.

Return to “Screenadelica”