no
14%

Total votes: 7

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Creedence Clearwater Revival

Postby naughty boy » 06 Feb 2018, 18:56

"THEIR crimes are JUST as bad as ours!"
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Feb 2018, 18:57

Worse.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Feb 2018, 21:48

Killer - one of those sounds that seeps out of the earth, naturally.

I don't play them regularly but when I saw John Fogerty a few years ago, it was awe inspiring how many beloved songs he could pull out in a row.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 22:02

Matt Wilson wrote:Another band I never play anymore. But I can recall discovering the Chronicle compilation album and wondering where these guys had been all my life. Kind've like when I first heard Neil Young's Decade.

When I was in fourth grade, one kid was allowed to bring one album into play on a Friday afternoon. I remember Brian Smith brought in his brother's copy of Cosmo's Factory - so it must've been 1971 or '72. I thought it was a cool cover and really liked the music. That was my intro to Creedence.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Feb 2018, 22:19

bobzilla77 wrote:Killer - one of those sounds that seeps out of the earth, naturally.

I don't play them regularly but when I saw John Fogerty a few years ago, it was awe inspiring how many beloved songs he could pull out in a row.

The guy *wrote* Proud Mary. It used to not exist, and then it existed, and he wrangled it into existence and now it's like some kind of Stephen Foster thing. It's not like it's even my favorite song or anything, but it seems like something ancient that just sprang out of the earth on its own.

When I saw him, he opened with Born on the Bayou. When the guitar riff came up out of a bed of crickets and swamp noise I got goosebumps and actually had trouble catching my breath!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Feb 2018, 23:59

Snarfyguy wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:Killer - one of those sounds that seeps out of the earth, naturally.

The guy *wrote* Proud Mary. It used to not exist, and then it existed, and he wrangled it into existence and now it's like some kind of Stephen Foster thing. It's not like it's even my favorite song or anything, but it seems like something ancient that just sprang out of the earth on its own.

When I saw him, he opened with Born on the Bayou. When the guitar riff came up out of a bed of crickets and swamp noise I got goosebumps and actually had trouble catching my breath!

I had that same feeling when I saw him... although the opener was "Green River." "Oh WOW this is happening right in front of me!"

He's got a Vegas residency right now... wish I had a second good reason to go to Vegas...
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 09 Feb 2018, 06:22

Marginal yes. I really like some of their records — Traveling Band, Lodi, especially Down on the Corner. The more they choogle, the less I like them.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 09 Feb 2018, 07:42

Rayge wrote:Three good songs, terrible covers, lumberjack shirts...

Sounds about right...

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Feb 2018, 17:49

I think I said everything I need to say about Creedence on this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=124580
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Feb 2018, 17:52

Very Stable Baron wrote:I think I said everything I need to say about Creedence on this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=124580

Did you mention the haircuts?

That's all that's important, you know.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 Feb 2018, 18:14

Very Stable Baron wrote:I think I said everything I need to say about Creedence on this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=124580

And said it very well.
Fortunate Son is, I think, my favourite.

Anybody like Fogerty's Blue Ridge Rangers?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Feb 2018, 18:22

It's fine, but you know what I like better than the Blue Ridge Rangers album?

John Forgerty
from 1975. "Almost Saturday Night" is as good as most Creedence songs. "Rockin' All Over the World" was his last solo hit until the '80s.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Feb 2018, 18:54

bobzilla77 wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

I had that same feeling when I saw him... although the opener was "Green River." "Oh WOW this is happening right in front of me!"

He's got a Vegas residency right now... wish I had a second good reason to go to Vegas...

Go to the Pinball Hall of Fame during the day. Incredible place to spend five hours. If you dig pinball that is. I imagine you might. Hundreds of games, from the beginning through the peak 60s-80s years, plus the obligatory newer ones, even some one-offs/rarities. All at their original prices, mostly a quarter a play. One weekend, I spent five hours there easy , on both days. Then, Fogerty at night. Then go home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”