Grand Funk Railroad
The Carpenters
Minor Threat
James Taylor
NIN
UB40
The Donnas.
Emmylou Harris
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Rate or briefly comment on the following artists:

Postby naughty boy » 06 Feb 2018, 00:18

Hazlewood was great.

The rest I couldn’t care less about
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 06 Feb 2018, 01:06

Tangerine Dream - They were instrumental to much of the later electronic music I love, but not my cuppa. I also blame them for indirectly ruining one of my favorite films. Tangerine Dream had a lot of success with soundtracks which led producers of Ladyhawke to erroneously conclude that having electronic soundtracks for fantasy films was somehow a good idea.... They couldn't afford TD, so the films producers engaged Andrew Powell and Alan Parsons. The resultant soundtrack ruins the film, and tertiarily TD is responsible. :D

Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut was one of the first songs I learned to play on bass. I don't really like rockabilly much, I just like cats.

Joan Jett - Love her to bits.

Tommy Roe - I've only ever heard Sheila and it sounded like Buddy Holly lite.

Arctic Monkeys - Meh.

Stiff Little Fingers - Kick ass.

Lee Hazelwood - Good songwriter I guess, although his lyrics suck.

Julee Cruise - I bought an album by her back when Twin Peaks first was on TV. It was fine.

Dr Dre - I don't like him or other women beating men of his ilk.

Grand Funk Railroad - No.

The Carpenters - Sure.

Minor Threat - Yes, I likey me some sXe

James Taylor - He's inoffensive at most.

NIN - I can't listen to them regularly because I get depressed, but I love TR.

UB40 - I went through a brief phase where I was into UB40 when I was 14. I don't hate them. I do hate Red Red Wine though.

The Donnas - In a similar way to my feelings for AFI, I like them because I saw them from birth to success. I have a soft spot for them because I saw them live a couple of times as The Electrocutes in the 1990's before they became "donnas". I still like them a lot because they feel homegrown to me, but I own nothing by them.

Emmylou Harris - Meh.
--m.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Feb 2018, 16:44

Tangerine Dream -- Okay, when I'm in the mood.
Stray Cats -- Enjoyed the singles in their brief heyday.
Joan Jett -- Sometimes I think "Bad Reputation" is the greatest rock 'n roll song ever. Lots of great singles, but the one that made her famous is my least favorite still.
Tommy Roe -- He was pretty good, wasn't he?
Arctic Monkeys -- Never cared about them.
Stiff Little Fingers -- I've only ever heard the first album, which is pretty great.
Lee Hazelwood - I've liked what I've heard, which isn't much.
Julee Cruise -- Too ethereal for me, probably.
Dr Dre -- I had the Chronic album but couldn't get into it.
Grand Funk Railroad -- Everything I've heard is the definition of mediocrity.
The Carpenters -- Don't mind hearing a song from them if it comes on the radio.
Minor Threat - Nope, never liked them.
James Taylor - Nope, never liked him.
NIN -- Nope, never liked them/him.
UB40 - I've only ever heard "Red Red Wine," which was one of those dopey radio songs that kind of grew on me after a while.
The Donnas -- Really good when they were trying to be the girl Ramones.
Emmylou Harris -- I love her.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Feb 2018, 17:04

Tangerine Dream - Beyond Zeit, everything I've heard seems quite slight and uninvolving. I feel like I should like them, but I just normally don't even notice the album has finished.
Stray Cats - Dull retro shite
Joan Jett - Lumpen rock of a BCB kind
Tommy Roe - Never heard of, unless I've just forgotten his existence
Arctic Monkeys - Fairly unremarkable
Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster was a decent track, and they may have a done one or two others. Quite stodgy.
Lee Hazelwood - Dunno much
Julee Cruise - Dunno anything
Dr Dre - Sells large plastic head jewellery
Grand Funk Railroad - Not grand
The Carpenters - Wretched
Minor Threat - I like some of what I've heard
James Taylor - Dunno much, but I guess I'd hate him
NIN - First two albums are pretty good, as are the Broken/Fixed EPs. After that, it's just quite dull rock.
UB40 - Fuck off.
The Donnas - Nope, never heard of.
Emmylou Harris - Country, so I guess shite.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 17:06

Tangerine Dream - A fan, but not as big a fan as some of the nutcases on here.

Stray Cats - loved them when they first came out. After their second album, I fell off. They get credt for helping to repopularize rockabilly.

Joan Jett - I don't know if she's rock 'n' roll hall of fame worthy, but she made some great albums that should've come with a 12-pack and a muscle car.

Tommy Roe - I really like Tommy Roe. Some of his songs sound the same, but he was king of the catchy hit.

Arctic Monkeys - I like these guys a lot. They have their own personality and have some great songs. I wish they recorded more.

Stiff Little Fingers - Great, seminal punk band

Lee Hazelwood - A craftsman

Julee Cruise - I had her one album and I listened to it some during its heydey, but I wouldn't go searching for it.

Dr Dre - A genius. Dre and Ice Cube remind me a bit of the Beatles, in that here were two guys from Compton who turned out to be two of the greatest artists in hip hop that somehow got together. Discovered Snoop, Eminem - two of the most unique stylists in hip hop.

Grand Funk Railroad - Great at what they did and knew not to stray the course too much

The Carpenters - I grew up on them and I know they got a critical reappraisal years ago. Some classic songs in there.

Minor Threat - That one album of theirs was a lulu. I like Fugazi better, I have to say.

James Taylor - Too milquetoast for me, but you can't help but sing along to some of his songs.

NIN - I really like Trent Reznor's whole schtick. I think he's underappreciated.

UB40 - Good all the way up to Geoffrey Morgan album. They get short shrift on here as band because they were so ubiquitous in the UK and all those cover albums (which made them a mint).

The Donnas - Like Martha, I've known about them since the start. The pride of Paly High. They'd do punk shows at the Keystone Palo Alto, and I'm sure Martha saw them when she was going to Berkeley, because they had a bunch of clubs up there, like the Berkeley Square, they'd most proabably play.

Emmylou Harris - I don't listen to her enough. She closes each Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in Golden Gate Park, which is a fitting tribute.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Feb 2018, 17:34

Tangerine Dream: I’m a big fan. Can’t choose between Phaedra or Rubicon as favourite.
Stray Cats: Alright for that one song.
Joan Jett: Ditto.
Tommy Roe: Dizzy, Of course.
Arctic Monkeys: Very good band indeed. My wife’s a big fan, as are three of my children.
Stiff Little Fingers: 2nd rate punk.
Lee Hazelwood: Yeah, sure. Some great songs.
Julee Cruise: I really liked Stay With Me ‘Till Dawn, but she’s a bit slight.
Dr Dre: No.
Grand Funk Railroad: They had little impact in the UK for good reason.
The Carpenters: Fantastic! Goodbye To Love, has one of my favourite guitar solos.
Minor Threat: Who?
James Taylor: I have the two classic albums, but have to be in the right mood.
NIN: Not for me.
UB40: I liked 1 In 10, but not a lot else. Hate them for Red Red Whne.
The Donnas: never heard of them.
Emmylou Harris: I don’t really know anything about her.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Feb 2018, 17:41

Tangerine Dream - Haven't played them in years
Stray Cats - They had their fifteen minutes
Joan Jett - As did she
Tommy Roe
Arctic Monkeys
Stiff Little Fingers - One great album and some pretty damned good singles
Lee Hazelwood
Julee Cruise
Dr Dre - The Chronic is a classic
Grand Funk Railroad - Should be right up my alley, but God they're stupid
The Carpenters - I actually like a lot of their singles
Minor Threat - Let's just say nobody ever called me 'straight edge'
James Taylor - I certainly like him more than most here. He only paints in one color though.
NIN - I like Pretty Hate Machine and some other tracks.
UB40
The Donnas - I have one of their albums whose title escapes me but whenever I hear one of those songs on my iPod I love it.
Emmylou Harris - Okay, I guess

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 17:47

soundchaser wrote:Grand Funk Railroad: They had little impact in the UK for good reason.

You guys already had Status Quo and we already had Grand Funk.

Same band.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 17:48

soundchaser wrote:Julee Cruise: I really liked Stay With Me ‘Till Dawn, but she’s a bit slight.

:lol:

I can't tell if you're kidding, but that was Judy Tzuke.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Feb 2018, 17:49

Darkness_Fish wrote:Country, so I guess shite.

:roll:

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Feb 2018, 17:55

sloopjohnc wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Julee Cruise: I really liked Stay With Me ‘Till Dawn, but she’s a bit slight.

:lol:

I can't tell if you're kidding, but that was Judy Tzuke.

:oops: Oh fuck me, of course it was. I must be getting old.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Feb 2018, 17:57

sloopjohnc wrote:

Same band.

Did Grand Funk have anything as great as Caroline?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 18:18

soundchaser wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Same band.

Did Grand Funk have anything as great as Caroline?

Some Kind of Wonderful?

I was sorta kidding. Sorta.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 08 Feb 2018, 18:24

The carpenters are great. The rest nowhere, though I do like blue kentucky girl.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Feb 2018, 20:45

C wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Country, so I guess shite.

:roll:

Country and reggae are my musical blind spots, I'm afraid. I've never heard anything in either genre that has appealed, and I've bloody well tried.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 08 Feb 2018, 21:00

martha wrote:Tommy Roe - I've only ever heard Sheila and it sounded like Buddy Holly lite.

The original version here, followed by the (hit) re-recording under producer Felton Jarvis.

And a couple later hits you probably know but may have forgotten:

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Feb 2018, 21:12

Tangerine Dream - Like some stuff, mostly in the 70s. They don't really affect my world much one way or the other. Their recent stuff, at least as of the last I've heard, is pretty awful.

Stray Cats - Mild appreciation for some of their stuff. Amiable and forgettable.

Joan Jett - Great in the Runaways, good mentor to the Germs and others. Can take or leave her solo stuff, though admittedly I haven't heard much.

Tommy Roe - No Tommy James, but he's a talent too easily dismissed as bubblegum. A decent Holly-follower, ultimately. I think "Dizzy" should go on longer and keep changing keys into infinity.

Arctic Monkeys - I've heard some stuff I like, but not enough to explore deeper.

Stiff Little Fingers - A few great tracks, just like a lot of the class of '77. They're neither at the front or the back.

Lee Hazelwood - Overrated hipster name-drop, but I do like some of his music a lot. He used his vocal limitations well.

Julee Cruise - Did she have more than one song?

Dr Dre - Probably not a nice human being, but he has to be held responsible at least somewhat for inspiring the more inspired current rappers.

Grand Funk Railroad - Lugubrious boogie, but they did strike paydirt with "We're an American Band," which is undeniably a classic of some kind.

The Carpenters - Loved 'em as a kid, hated them as a teen (you were supposed to), have grown to appreciate them again. I wish they had gone back to jazz-lite a bit more often during their pop period, they were actually pretty good at it.

Minor Threat - Don't really know their music well enough to say.

James Taylor - Should never do anyone else's songs - he's terrible at it. His own are erratic, but he has managed a handful of really good ones.

NIN - Not my thing.

UB40 - What people who hate reggae hear in their head. iirc, they were decent early on, but the pop shite has got to go.

The Donnas - Unfamiliar.

Emmylou Harris - Like her most as a duet partner - especially with Dylan, more than Parsons - but she has some great solo records. Also gets more and more beautiful as she gets older. At least so far she wears her age about as gracefully as anyone I can think of.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 08 Feb 2018, 21:14

Stray Cats- I like Stray Cat Strut, but generally speaking I'd rather hear their '50s progenitors
Joan Jett -- makes terrific records; great image (except when she decided to be a blonde for a while -- a passing phase)
Tommy Roe - fluff, but pretty good for what it is.
Lee Hazelwood - brilliant
Julee Cruise - I only know her from Twin Peaks, but thought she was appropriate there
Grand Funk Railroad - for years, there was a song running through my mind that I couldn't place. Finally occurred to me: Bad Time by GFR. I liked their pop stuff more than their rock.
The Carpenters Million-dollar voice, great songs and production
James Taylor Pleasant, professional
UB40I enjoy their records
Emmylou HarrisAbout the only folkie singing country music I can take. But she'll always be a folkie. But she's taken few missteps, and I can't really hold Daniel Lanois against her.

The rest, I hold no opinion on either way, largely because I can't name one of their songs.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 08 Feb 2018, 21:44

Mostly acts I like one of two songs of and don’t really care for going further. I guess I’ve most time for Arctic Monkeys (mainly first and most recent LPs), Lee Hazelwood (as if Deputy Dawg made Records) and, through NWA and productions as much as his own stuff, Dr Dre from that listing. Second tier probably SLF (gruff but good clutch of singles), Emmylou Harris (Gram or Lanois accompanied). I don’t know enough Tangerine Dream to be definitive although I’ve liked some things I’ve heard. After that, yeah, occasional singles (Runaway Boys, Food For Thought, Falling, Cherry Bomb) and a whole load of meh. Completely unfamiliar with Minor Threat and Grand Funk, although I recognise Bad Time from the Jayhawks cover.

Return to “Yakety Yak”