Mark Lanegan solo

Do talk back
pcqgod

Mark Lanegan solo

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2018, 19:11

Who's got recommendations for me? How does it compare to Screaming Trees?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Mark Lanegan solo

Postby Moleskin » 07 Feb 2018, 19:39

Start at the most recent stuff and go backwards. His first couple of solo records are much more unlike the Trees - who were still going - than the stuff that post dates the band.

The last 3 or 4 are some of the best and most consistent in his catalogue.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Feb 2018, 20:41

IMO he’s not made a bad lp. I’ve been a massive fan since the Trees. I’d start at the beginning with Winding Sheet but he really gets going next with Whiskey for the Holy Ghost. Not a bad song on it. The next 3 albums are one of the finest runs in the last 30 years period. Field Songs is a wonder, opening with one of his greatest songs One Way Street. After that he embraces rock again. All 3 albums with Isobel Campbell are sublime and the lp of covers Imitations contains the definitive version of You Only Live Twice ( and Mack the Knife according to Mrs JKB).The comp Has God Seen My Shadow is a good taster but you should really buy everything. Yeah I’m a fan boy.
I saw him with the Trees 5 times and the last occasion, on the Dust tour with Josh Homme playing second fiddle to Gary Lee, I was convinced he was not for this world much longer. I’ve recounted this story to him personally and he agreed and I’m afraid I made a bit of a twat of myself and gave him a hug. I’ll see him every time he tours, usually more than once, usually hanging around for a brief chat. I’d like to think he recognises me but I’m probably deluded in my fanboydom. I’m so happy he’s still going, not afraid to experiment, constantly looking forward, giving me so much pleasure. He’s a shy, humble man whose music got me through a dark period of my life a few years ago. It’s funny, reflecting on what he means to me has made me realise exactly what he does mean to me, namely a fundamental bedrock of my pleasure in music. Calming and comforting, someone I turn to regardless of mood guaranteeing chills and thrills and keeping me uplifted. And he can rock like a motherfucker. And you should get the Dark Mark Does Christmas ep. Enough of my yakkin.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 Feb 2018, 20:58

Well said Jumper. His catalogue is packed to the gills with music.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Feb 2018, 21:02

jimboo wrote:Well said Jumper. His catalogue is packed to the gills with music.

Who doesn’t like a bit of music eh?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 Feb 2018, 21:22

And chocolate.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Feb 2018, 22:07

Jumper K wrote:IMO he’s not made a bad lp.

All 3 albums with Isobel Campbell are sublime

Ditto.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2018, 22:38

Cool. Thanks for the responses.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Feb 2018, 23:04

His albums are always worth getting - I particularly like the poppier stuff like these:

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Feb 2018, 10:47

I'm surprised I'll Take Care of You has not been mentioned so far - to me it's his best (solo) work. Yes, it's all covers, but it's a sublime set of covers, deceptively simple, wonderful arrangemetn, he's in great voice. One of my favourite Sunday records - and I was so happy to find it on vinyl recently. Not a bad song on it (and normally I do find there are at least 2-3 songs on his records that I don't really bond with).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Feb 2018, 10:50

Jumper K wrote:I saw him with the Trees 5 times and the last occasion, on the Dust tour with Josh Homme playing second fiddle to Gary Lee, I was convinced he was not for this world much longer. .

I never saw him with the Trees - and Dust is one of my favourite records - but I do remember around that time hearing/seeing him and wondering much the same thing. I was going through a rough patch myself, I was very young, and he meant so much to me at the time that i remember thinking "man if he calls it a day I'm not sure how long i'll last".
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Feb 2018, 00:10

I have four albums and like them all a lot. Some are more acoustic, some more electric so pick your poison.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”