60%
no
40%

Total votes: 10

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Bruce Springsteen

Postby naughty boy » 06 Feb 2018, 10:28

‘Dancing In The Dark’ and ‘Born In The USA’ are worse than anything Bowie shat out in the 80s.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 06 Feb 2018, 10:35

OCT wrote:‘Dancing In The Dark’ and ‘Born In The USA’ are worse than anything Bowie shat out in the 80s.

:o How dare you! Dancing In The Dark, was my way into Bruce and i found the back catalogue from there. And even though the whole Born In The USA album, is Bruce as Mr. Showbiz, it's an album I've still got a lot of time for: it's just fun. After Let's Dance, Bowie was mainly rubbish in the 1980s. Springsteen, sir, was not.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Feb 2018, 19:26

I'm reminded of the 2013 live version of "New York City Serenade"from Rome.. skip the 45 second pre-song introductions... and luxuriate in the most compellingly beautiful version you'll hear... featuring the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra (known principally now for bringing to life the works of Ennio Morricone) there is something quite magical and mystical going on here.

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Feb 2018, 21:04

first few albums are excellent then he got very boring.
His live performance is always excellent even 40 years later.
he is an excellent frontman - one of the best.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Feb 2018, 22:41

soundchaser wrote:
OCT wrote:‘Dancing In The Dark’ and ‘Born In The USA’ are worse than anything Bowie shat out in the 80s.

:o How dare you! Dancing In The Dark, was my way into Bruce and i found the back catalogue from there. And even though the whole Born In The USA album, is Bruce as Mr. Showbiz, it's an album I've still got a lot of time for: it's just fun. After Let's Dance, Bowie was mainly rubbish in the 1980s. Springsteen, sir, was not.

Just a big bucket of sick.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Feb 2018, 22:45

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Feb 2018, 22:50

0:58 - 1:02 - a great artist in actione

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2018, 22:57

Who gives a fuck really?

Christ, check this out instead. Rock n roll dreams come true...

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Feb 2018, 23:01

ach he's a cunt. fuck' sake

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 06 Feb 2018, 23:10

I find him cloying and sentimental. It’s like he took the 50p Judy finds deep down in her pocket in the Boomtown Rats’ Rat Trap and spun it into a whole career. I like Nebraska though. Born in the USA is an absolute shocker.

Gimme Tom Petty any day!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2018, 23:15

Bruce Springsteen....a cunt who's worse than Tom Petty
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 06 Feb 2018, 23:23

Most cunts are

Aye

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Feb 2018, 02:05

Bunch of silly sods...

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 Feb 2018, 13:53

The only genuine stinker in his catalogue is Human Touch. Over-worked and airless. No surprise that he decided to release the 'surprise' album Lucky Town alongside it.

That said, I can think of few records so sprung with joy as The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. That was one hell of a band.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Feb 2018, 10:59

** on the TCE scale. Having purchased the box set that included everything up to Born In The USA I found I only really like two albums: The Wild The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle and Born To Run. The rest I really don’t need.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Feb 2018, 21:48

I listened to both Nebraska and Greetings... last week while working at home, for some reason. Both of them really hit, one spare but compelling, the other florid and teeming with words and life. He’s so much of the rock furniture with his big hits so ubiquitous. Those slightly more marginal things from that Imperial phase remind you why he got his rep.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Feb 2018, 05:50

Moleskin wrote:The only genuine stinker in his catalogue is Human Touch. Over-worked and airless. No surprise that he decided to release the 'surprise' album Lucky Town alongside it.

That said, I can think of few records so sprung with joy as The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. That was one hell of a band.

Actually I don't hate Human Touch or Lucky Town. Together they make a good double album.

His first two are masterpieces. Nebraska is a bore. The River is, too.
Question authority.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Feb 2018, 10:39

Moleskin wrote:The only genuine stinker in his catalogue is Human Touch. Over-worked and airless. No surprise that he decided to release the 'surprise' album Lucky Town alongside it.

I disagree. I think Human Touch and lucky Town are good. As is the MTV show the same time. I am not a big fan of the big band sound of the E Street Band. I actively dislike Clarence Clemon's Saxophone contributions. I can appreciate the rush of the first three albums, and Born to Run is as solid an album as anyone has made. But is Tunnel Of Love where I really join in. I prefer the stripped down sound, and more considered , maybe " adult" nature of the lyrics. Lucky Town was the last Springsteen album I liked, and I think his recent form is just horrible. I can see what the big Springsteen fans see in him, and his epic performances. But it just not for me.
You don't like me...do you?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Feb 2018, 11:54

yomptepi wrote:
Moleskin wrote: Tunnel Of Love where I really join in. I prefer the stripped down sound, and more considered , maybe " adult" nature of the lyrics.

It was an obvious stab at progression and experimentation but an album so earthy and lyrically deep would have been much better without that clownish synth wash. A churchy organ would have done a better job of solemnifying the songs. In fact, to hell with synthesizers all together. The organ, piano or sometimes a Fender Rhodes should be used whenever a musician needs "keyboards."
Last edited by Jimbo on 10 Feb 2018, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Feb 2018, 12:37

Question authority.

Return to “Yakety Yak”