no, and it doesn't bother me
26%

Total votes: 50

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: are you wealthy?

Postby naughty boy » 03 Feb 2018, 15:42

IHT?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 03 Feb 2018, 15:46

OCT wrote:IHT?

Inheritance Tax. When she died it was 40% on everything above £325,000 or some amount like that.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Feb 2018, 16:21

Yes, of course. I didn't realise it was so high.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Feb 2018, 16:26

yomptepi wrote:I notice no one here has mentioned any inherited wealth. It seems to have passed our generation by , doesn't it?

Dunno if I count as one of your generation, yomp, but my parents bought a house in Hertfordshire for just over £4k in 1964, and when Dad died 30 months later, his life insurance paid off the mortgage. In the early 1990s my mother made it over to me, because I think she was fretting about inheritance tax - completely unnecessarily, as she never had anything close to the threshold, but it did mean that when she went into care a quarter of a century later it was not counted as an asset.
Because I had always been encouraged to view the house as a pension - my mother never dreamed she'd survive that long – I hadn't made any other provision, but selling that house effectively set me up for the rest of my life in comfortable penury.
Last edited by Rayge on 04 Feb 2018, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2018, 16:28

Rayge wrote:I hadn't made any other provision, but selling that house effectively set me up for the rest of my life in comfortable penury.

That's a good way to describe my situation (and future) too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Feb 2018, 16:30

sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:I hadn't made any other provision, but selling that house effectively set me up for the rest of my life in comfortable penury.

One of the advantages of getting older (and there are some) is that you need less* to keep you going.

*Fewer possessions, less money
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Feb 2018, 17:13

We're in a much better situation now. Didn't buy the 3 bed, but 2 bed instead. My wife has doubled her salary and I'll be a teacher within a couple of years so contributing again soon.

We can put a healthy amount in savings now. My Dad is on his last legs but he's at home and between me, my siblings and home care he's being looked after, so at the moment no need to sell his home.

I don't think we're comfortable given the fact that my wife is self-employed, but we can plan ahead a lot more than we did.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Feb 2018, 17:26

I have zero savings. I bought a flat for the first time a couple of years back thanks to the folks giving me my inheritance early. I earn less than the UK average salary but I have small ish mortgage (500 a month including all the necessary insurance) thanks to the inheritance.

I have a pension. I think I'll be ok when I retire but I could probably do with a couple of savvy property moves before then (that's the wankiest thing I've ever said).

I think I'm doing ok for someone of my generation and certainly better than many who struggle to buy property.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Feb 2018, 17:40

I think if you're on the property ladder in a desirable part of the country to live in, you'll generally do ok as long as you are amenable to moving somewhere else along the line.

That's of course if you aren't made redundant via automation.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Feb 2018, 17:42

I'm quite prepared to sell up and move abroad when I retire.

I live in Edinburgh in a decent area so I think I should do well when I come to sell
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 03 Feb 2018, 19:05

Toby wrote:I think if you're on the property ladder in a desirable part of the country to live in, you'll generally do ok as long as you are amenable to moving somewhere else along the line.

Dream on Toby. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I bet every penny you get from moving somewhere less desirable or downsizing will go towards giving your kid/s a deposit for a flat, or helping them with their student loan or whatever.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Feb 2018, 19:39

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Toby wrote:I think if you're on the property ladder in a desirable part of the country to live in, you'll generally do ok as long as you are amenable to moving somewhere else along the line.

Dream on Toby. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I bet every penny you get from moving somewhere less desirable or downsizing will go towards giving your kid/s a deposit for a flat, or helping them with their student loan or whatever.

Well if he goes to Uni his fees are already paid for, as he has an inheritance from my father, being his only grandchild.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2018, 23:17

Goat Boy wrote:I have a pension. I think I'll be ok when I retire but I could probably do with a couple of savvy property moves before then (that's the wankiest thing I've ever said).

:lol:

Very boujee.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 04 Feb 2018, 14:33

As Copehead says, only a p45 away from troubled times. I have a “good job”, which means I get paid well but need to work under constant pressure for long hours. Work/life balance is a joke. Retirement is 10 years away.

I’d like to think I could get a decent - if not the same - job somewhere else (I’ve been with the same company for most of my adult life) but the reality is that the competition would be brutal; sharper, younger and with more flexible skills. A guy I trained with who was in a similar “good job”, was made redundant two years and has not been able to get back into employment since, with the obvious impacts to lifestyle.

Therefore, in answer to the question, comfortable but always precarious.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Feb 2018, 15:07

Ranking Ted wrote:but the reality is that the competition would be brutal; sharper, younger and with more flexible skills. A guy I trained with who was in a similar “good job”, was made redundant two years and has not been able to get back into employment since, with the obvious impacts to lifestyle.

I was just worrying about this yesterday. In Silicon Valley, unless you're an executive, you're fucked if you're over 45 or so and looking for a job. As a 56 year old man, I doubt I'd be able to get another marcom job here - or it would take a lot of time. I need to hang on where I am for the next 7-10 years. Which probably won't happen.

About 7-8 years ago, an older co-worker told me about his problem when he walked into interviews and they saw his gray hair. He's in sales, and I expect, companies think younger folks have more energy and will work longer than older workers.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 04 Feb 2018, 16:38

Matty Red Sox wrote:We do alright. Not really polite to go deep into it, but I retired at 47. I may chose to go back to work at some point. Not rich mind you.

Interestingly enough, my daughter was born hours after the post above. I'm still retired, I make a little DJing and writing, but nothing worth investing. Currently I drive my daughter to and from school every day, and then spend my day fucking around... an easy position at the kid's school has opened up, and it looks like I might take over as the librarian, just to keep busy. I have no idea what it pays, I'm assuming somewhere between $25000 and $45000 USD, but it's nice being in a position where I don't really need to care. And if it proves too annoying, I can just say fuck it.
the Eagles suck.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 01 Nov 2018, 22:38

fire and fueryIre wrote:Hopefully things will have picked up the next time I'm back

:|

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 11:29

Rayge wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

One of the advantages of getting older (and there are some) is that you need less* to keep you going.

*Fewer possessions, less money

Indeed. I am planning my future on the basis of a comfortable penury. i have all I need, and I have never been extravagant. With a bit of luck we will have enough for a few enjoyable years before we jump.
You don't like me...do you?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Nov 2018, 12:15

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:
fire and fueryIre wrote:Hopefully things will have picked up the next time I'm back

:|

¡Ay, caramba!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Nov 2018, 13:15

Oh, what a tosser!

Return to “Nextdoorland”