no, and it doesn't bother me
26%

Total votes: 50

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: are you wealthy?

Postby naughty boy » 02 Feb 2018, 23:18

Have you spent it all already Copehead?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 02 Feb 2018, 23:34

PENK wrote:
The Prof wrote:List of 10 to 'happiest'* countries in the World

6. Israel

Really?

Why wouldn't they be?

They are a people who survived the Holocaust, and the repeated attempts since 1948 by their neighbours to slaughter them all, and who have built a thriving, prosperous and democratic nation, in the face of great adversity and animosity. They're tough, resilient, innovative and creative, and they refuse to be intimidated or persecuted ever again. Good for them.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2018, 00:22

sloopjohnc wrote:Well, like Martha, for as much as my wife and I make, there is always another new bill that we're trying to get out from under or trying to stay ahead of. Between my wife and I, we make a solidly middle class income.

If we lived in another area of the U.S., our income might be upper middle class, but we live in one of the most expensive areas of the U.S., if not the most expensive, and even though the housing crisis crippled many, we bought at the right time and ours is still worth twice what we paid for it. That said, we recently refinanced for a 15-year mortgage because of the great rates but are getting a little more on the loan than our house value to pay off credit cards that built up when I was out of work two years ago.

I'm thinking now that the house will have no investment or inheritance value for the kids but we'll use it in a reverse mortgage to help us live on because our retirement savings won't make it.

Through sheer dumb luck, my dad's house and land is probably worth close to $2 million. But, I'm not counting on splitting that with my brother because the most likely scenario is we will have to spend it on my dad's assisted living or convalescent care when he needs it, which will not be far off.

It's funny reading this now after all that has happened. When I got divorced, I had hardly any retirement money and the house, because of all the refis didn't give us much. My ex was able to put a downpayment on a condo.

My retirement plans were seriously built on when I was going to have to go from wet dog food to dry.

But my dad didn't last long and it provided me a decent retirement and the ability to buy a place in Oregon. And now that I have a 401K at my current job, it gives me a little more.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Feb 2018, 00:34

fire and fueryIre wrote:
Happily, I have more than enough money to last me the rest of my life. If I survive past next Monday, I may be in some bother though...

I've never seen this thread before. Reading through this made me laugh :lol:
Where is Fuery these days?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Feb 2018, 00:50

I hounded him off the board
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Feb 2018, 02:36

OCT wrote:I hounded him off the board

It’s what you do :)

I hope to see him back anyway

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2018, 02:56

OCT wrote:I hounded him off the board

Serial hounder.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Postby ... » 03 Feb 2018, 09:29

Decided to take a break from the board for a while

Checked back early last November and could see nothing
that made me want to return.

Ditto now three months later. If anything, the state of
the place is even worse.

Hopefully things will have picked up the next time I'm back

The idea that Coan hounded me off the board is frankly risible.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Feb 2018, 09:37

:lol:

bye wanka!

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 03 Feb 2018, 09:44

fire and fueryIre wrote:Decided to take a break from the board for a while

Checked back early last November and could see nothing
that made me want to return.

Ditto now three months later. If anything, the state of
the place is even worse.

Hopefully things will have picked up the next time I'm back

The idea that Coan hounded me off the board is frankly risible.

I assumed you had won the lottery

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 03 Feb 2018, 10:01

OCT wrote:Have you spent it all already Copehead?

As ever only a P45 away from deep trouble like most of us.

In the past 3-4 years my company has shed around 50% of its staff, so you can imagine how stressful that has been literally spending years unsure whether you are going to have a job or not next month.

The industry I work in is moribund and may be finished, we are the last major company still going and our CEO, after sacking another 500 people ( about 20% of the work force ) before Christmas, said that if we do not move into profit in 2018 to 2019 then we too will go to the wall.

The only brighter outlook is President Trump, he has said he is going to open up the whole US seaboard to seismic exploration, that, and the price of oil rebounding to around $70 a barrel recently could be the shot in the arm my industry needs to get me a few more years and into retirement.

But as to whether I have spent it all, no I have saved it all so I have a chance of keeping a roof over my head if the worst does happen.

What about you?
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 03 Feb 2018, 10:26

Copehead wrote:What about you?

Thanks entirely to my wife's good sense and talent for doing paperwork I have made it to retirement with a small pension from the Japanese government, a tiny pension from the teacher's union, my US Social Security (the minimum) will click in in a few months which includes Medicare if I return to the states for some treatment, some savings in the bank, a paid for condo, a low pay part-time teaching job, a working and independent child ... yeah, I'm not rich but I'm doing all right. *** Jimbo drops dead ***
Question authority.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 03 Feb 2018, 10:38

I do OK. Employment is a constant worry, but I think I could get by if I lost my job. I have savings and a good pension, and the house is paid for. I need two more years of steady work and I can retire comfortably. Of course this all depends on how much keeping the MOL in a home in Jersey costs. I might get to 62 and be completely bankrupt.
You don't like me...do you?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 03 Feb 2018, 10:47

I notice no one here has mentioned any inherited wealth. It seems to have passed our generation by , doesn't it?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 03 Feb 2018, 10:58

yomptepi wrote:I notice no one here has mentioned any inherited wealth. It seems to have passed our generation by , doesn't it?

It’s the cost of elderly care.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 03 Feb 2018, 11:47

Jumper K wrote:
yomptepi wrote:I notice no one here has mentioned any inherited wealth. It seems to have passed our generation by , doesn't it?

It’s the cost of elderly care.

Indeed. More likely to be a deficit than an inheritance..

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 03 Feb 2018, 12:42

trans-chigley express wrote:
I've never seen this thread before.

Me neither and I appear to have made several contributions to it. :?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Feb 2018, 13:29

The Prof wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:
I've never seen this thread before.

Me neither and I appear to have made several contributions to it. :?

maybe you’re so wealthy you pay minions to read threads and do your posting.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Feb 2018, 13:35

there's a semantic difference between being wealthy - having a lot of stuff – and rich - having a lot of money.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 03 Feb 2018, 15:41

My mum died a couple of years back. She had lived in the same house since 1968 (so 48 years or so). Bought for £7000 then, sold for £580,000 now. After the IHT my 3 siblings and I got around £100,000 each. She was 87 when she died, and lived on her own in her house up to the week before she died (in hospital), so we didn't have the care costs.

Return to “Nextdoorland”