◾Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan
◾Get Out - Jordan Peele
◾Lady Bird - Greta Gerwig
◾Phantom Thread - Paul Thomas Anderson
◾The Shape of Water - Guillermo Del Toro

Best adapted screenplay
◾Call Me By Your Name - screenplay by James Ivory
◾The Disaster Artist - screenplay by Scott Neustadter & Michael H Weber
◾Logan - screenplay by Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green; story by James Mangold
◾Molly's Game - written for the screen by Aaron Sorkin
◾Mudbound - screenplay by Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

Best original screenplay
◾The Big Sick - written by Emily V Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
◾Get Out - written by Jordan Peele
◾Lady Bird - written by Greta Gerwig
◾The Shape of Water - screenplay by Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor; story by Guillermo del Toro
◾Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - written by Martin McDonagh

Best original score
◾Dunkirk - Hans Zimmer
◾Phantom Thread - Jonny Greenwood
◾The Shape of Water - Alexandre Desplat
◾Star Wars: The Last Jedi - John Williams
◾Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Carter Burwell

Best cinematography
◾Blade Runner 2049 - Roger Deakins
◾Darkest Hour - Bruno Delbonnel
◾Dunkirk - Hoyte van Hoytema
◾Mudbound - Rachel Morrison
◾The Shape of Water - Dan Laustsen
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sneelock

Re: Oscars 2018

Postby Sneelock » 23 Jan 2018, 17:21

well, there ARE a few surprises! Academy Award nominated director Jordan Peele! well, whattaya know!
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jan 2018, 17:37

I don't watch anything theatrically anymore, it seems. Let's see... I saw Dunkirk and uh, that's about it!

There's a lot there I like to view though.
Last edited by Matt Wilson on 23 Jan 2018, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Jan 2018, 17:42

Are we over celebrating Meryl Streep? She does seem to get nominated for everything. I do think she's in the top 3 or 4 best actors working at the minute, regardless of gender.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jan 2018, 17:47

The Great Defector wrote:Are we over celebrating Meryl Streep? She does seem to get nominated for everything. I do think she's in the top 3 or 4 best actors working at the minute, regardless of gender.

People here seem to dis her, but I like most things I've seen her in.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Jan 2018, 17:48

Might go see 'The Post' or 'Three Billboards...' tonight. I had more interest in the former because of the subject matter, but I read a review somewhere that put me off.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Jan 2018, 17:49

Matt Wilson wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Are we over celebrating Meryl Streep? She does seem to get nominated for everything. I do think she's in the top 3 or 4 best actors working at the minute, regardless of gender.

People here seem to dis her, but I like most things I've seen her in.

I don't dis her, just wondering if we're so used to her talents we automatically go "Oscar worthy"!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jan 2018, 17:54

I'm too lazy to look her up, but I think her oscar nominations now are in double digits.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 23 Jan 2018, 18:05

I think she’s amazing. I might even try to watch “mamma Mia” - THAT’s how much I like Meryl Streep.
uggy poopy doody.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 23 Jan 2018, 18:53

Streep is not on my Christmas card list.
I'll never forgive her for playing Thatcher (or the bull Elephant Seal's company for distributing that shit)
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jan 2018, 19:00

I'm counting 9 Best Picture nods - I thought there were 10. Or is it there can be UP TO 10, but doesn't necessarily have to be. Does anyone know?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jan 2018, 19:03

toomanyhatz wrote:I'm counting 9 Best Picture nods - I thought there were 10. Or is it there can be UP TO 10, but doesn't necessarily have to be. Does anyone know?

Yeah, it's 'up to ten.'

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Jan 2018, 19:09

Samoan wrote:Streep is not on my Christmas card list.
I'll never forgive her for playing Thatcher (or the bull Elephant Seal's company for distributing that shit)

Because of the character or because she was shite playing her?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 23 Jan 2018, 19:31

The former.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Jan 2018, 19:11

Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Jan 2018, 19:42

I'm really happy to see Three Billboards... nominated, even if it doesn't win. I'm a big fan of McDonagh - even saw a couple of theatrical productions here.

Having said that, I haven't even seen it yet and Netflix won't have it available until march. maybe it'll get a theatrical re-release now, though. That happens sometimes when pictures get nominated.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2018, 22:15

Looking forward to Phantom Thread.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2018, 02:20

So far I've only seen two of the best pic nominees. Working on improving on that in the coming weeks.

"Coco" is my movie of the year so far. It BETTER freaking win for animated feature!
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Jan 2018, 15:22

toomanyhatz wrote:So far I've only seen two of the best pic nominees. Working on improving on that in the coming weeks.

"Coco" is my movie of the year so far. It BETTER freaking win for animated feature!

I'm sure it will. Having a six year-old, I've seen more of this year's animated features than grown-up movies and Coco is way ahead of the pack. Ferdinand was pretty good, Boss Baby was disappointing and the other two didn't make a dent in my awareness. Should be a (well deserved) slam dunk for Coco.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

algroth

Postby algroth » 28 Jan 2018, 21:13

The Great Defector wrote:Are we over celebrating Meryl Streep? She does seem to get nominated for everything.

I recall reading the other day that the last time she was nominated for a performance in a Best Picture contender was 1985, for Out of Africa. I've liked some of those performances since (Adaptation. and The Bridges of Madison County for example), but it does go to show that she gets nominated for just about any ole shite. I don't think she's anywhere that good, but I hear it's also the first time in a long while in which her performance *is* actually worthy of attention (since The Iron Lady at least, if that sort of pantomime floats your boat - also the kind of performance that is likely to give Oldman the Oscar this year unfortunately).

All in all I'm okay with the nominations. I think The Florida Project ought to have received more attention, and The Post and Darkest Hour are probably the only two I have no desire to watch and feel like typical 'prestige' films the most out of the lot. But overall I'm quite content with the nominees. I guess the most gratifying surprise is seeing Logan nominated for best screenplay, which is well-deserved though I also wish the performances would have been recognized too since they were really superb across the board.

I also find it interesting that the whole "fuck the Oscars" mentality has only seemingly grown through the past few years, even when in my mind the Oscars have been rather interesting and sensible for the past five or six years. I would have understood this mentality more during the 90s or early-to-mid 00s, but this seems like a time where they actually seem more prone to getting it *right* instead.

Return to “Screenadelica”