Blue Öyster Cult Beyond the 130

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Blue Öyster Cult Beyond the 130

Postby clive gash » 18 Feb 2015, 20:08

Yeah, other than "...Reaper" and "Burnin' For You" (both tremendous things) pretty underwhelming. I came at 'em via The Minutemen/fIREHOSE's "The Red and the Black" and the Patti Smith/Clash connections so was expecting something that lifted-the-fuck-off.

The first couple are just dumb and not in a good, drongoid way. Puny really, wimpier than Boston. people jabber about the ball-less Back in the USA but Secret Treaties makes it sound like the remixed Raw Power.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Feb 2015, 00:05

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Feb 2015, 00:19

But I thought that they're "rhythmically off" the drummer "rushes through everything," the albums "sound tinny," the band "constipated and really really rigid," and that they're "slightly cartoonish" too.

:lol:
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Feb 2015, 00:46

Matt Wilson wrote:

But I thought that they're "rhythmically off" the drummer "rushes through everything," the albums "sound tinny," the band "constipated and really really rigid," and that they're "slightly cartoonish" too.

:lol:

Yeah - there's definitely something there.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 18:56

bump
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Jan 2018, 20:50

The first three - the first four, really - are fucking great. After that, mostly meh. Ultimately they lack a really convincing vocalist. But I still insist that this:

is an absolute thing of wonder.

Album - Secret Treaties

song - uh...

Most underrated album - Has to be Agents of Fortune - really just below the first three. That Patti duet is fantastic too. They just had the audacity to have a (very much deserved) hit single.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Jan 2018, 17:24

toomanyhatz wrote:The first three - the first four, really - are fucking great. After that, mostly meh. Ultimately they lack a really convincing vocalist. But I still insist that this:

is an absolute thing of wonder.

Album - Secret Treaties

song - uh...

Most underrated album - Has to be Agents of Fortune - really just below the first three. That Patti duet is fantastic too. They just had the audacity to have a (very much deserved) hit single.

Best song ever!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro