MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby harvey k-tel » 12 Jan 2018, 14:11

souphound wrote::shock: The Canadian Center for Addiction and Mental Health has received a C$100mln anonymous donation. :shock:

WOW!

Edit: C$100mln = €80mln = £59mln

Wow. That's amazing.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jan 2018, 14:28

had my yearly mandatory medical.

"healthy fit male" says the Doc.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Jan 2018, 18:50

Jeemo wrote:had my yearly mandatory medical.

"healthy fit male" says the Doc.

Physically, you mean?

Let's be specific.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jan 2018, 19:32

I heard someone with a car horn that played "La Cucaracha."
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 13 Jan 2018, 19:32

I went to see my brother at the hospital today.

The expensive state-of-the-art medecine and surgery he got over the last couple of years didn't manage to offer him another (carefree and painless) round.

Skin and bones, sedated by morphine patches, frightened but not letting on... I think it's unfair and it really breaks my heart.

Cancer is a bitch!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 13 Jan 2018, 19:40

I'm so sorry x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2018, 20:34

I'm so sorry Felix and I'm sending love and peace to you, your brother and all your families x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Jan 2018, 23:00

Hope things go as best as possible Felix, take care
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 14 Jan 2018, 00:10

Love to you and yours, Felix. God speed.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Jan 2018, 05:13

I'm so sorry that your brother's decline is continuing. That has to be so hard to watch. I had a similar thing with a young niece with leukemia. One feels powerless. All you can do is love them and make sure they know you are there for them.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 14 Jan 2018, 19:51

So sorry Felix.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Jan 2018, 20:32

A lot has happened since my last Mom update, but I'll cut to the ending:

As I was getting dressed for work this morning, I got a call from my eldest brother Jim at the hospital: "Mom's gone. She just... stopped breathing."

As I hung up the phone, my first thought was: this could have been so much worse, on so many levels. She could have had something that lingered for months or years, with continued physical pain and continued fluctuations of lucidity, or even slipped into full-on dementia like a number of her elderly friends have (which I know she would have hated). Many times over the past quarter-century, and as recently as a few days ago, she told me how afraid she was that Dad would go before she did (though I never said it, I feared that, too); that didn't happen. She could have died, as her father did, terrified of what agonies might await her in Hell. (I don't know why Grandpa was so worried about that. I don't remember him being devoutly religious, and he certainly wasn't ever much of a sinner as far as I knew.)

To just "... stop breathing," with no apparent pain or fear, is a pretty enviable way to go, as ways to go go.

I wasn't sure what state I would find Jim and Dad in when I got to the hospital - but I found that we were all on the same page.

At the end, she was fighting Norovirus (picked up at the miserable rehab place she transferred to from the hospital, before THEY sent her back to the hospital on Thursday), fluid in one lung, kidneys that weren't functioning properly, very low blood pressure, and very high blood sugar. The pulmonologist told Dad and Jim yesterday (and they told me) that while he wasn't "predicting anything," we "should be prepared for the worst." I suppose we were.

So while the grief may hit me hard at some point, right now I'm okay. We're okay. I'm confident that she's okay. It's all okay.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Jan 2018, 21:26

Sorry for your loss, Charlie.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Jan 2018, 21:38

So very sorry, Charlie.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 14 Jan 2018, 22:26

Such sad news.

Niege, I'm so sad for you and your family. I can't imagine how hard it must be to go through. I don't even know what I can say... But I'm sure he appreciates the time with you.

Charlie, again I don't know there's anything constructive to say... but I think you have the right attitude. I'm sure there will be a lot to get through from here but hopefully you can take some solace in your own wisdom.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 14 Jan 2018, 22:52

My thoughts are with you, Charlie. Take care.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Jan 2018, 22:53

That's heartbreaking news from both of you, Charlie and Felix. My thoughts are with you both.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Jan 2018, 00:31

Charlie O. wrote:A lot has happened since my last Mom update, but I'll cut to the ending:

As I was getting dressed for work this morning, I got a call from my eldest brother Jim at the hospital: "Mom's gone. She just... stopped breathing."

As I hung up the phone, my first thought was: this could have been so much worse, on so many levels. She could have had something that lingered for months or years, with continued physical pain and continued fluctuations of lucidity, or even slipped into full-on dementia like a number of her elderly friends have (which I know she would have hated).

So while the grief may hit me hard at some point, right now I'm okay. We're okay. I'm confident that she's okay. It's all okay.

While it's sad, short and sweet is for the best. When I was phoning financial and insurance companies informing them of my dad's death, they'd always say they were sorry.

I always told them, "Don't be. He went fast and he had a great life and lived a long time." Like you write Charlie, she's not in pain.

I have friends whose parents didn't recognize them for 5-10 years in senior homes. Now, that's shitty.

Sorry Felix about your brother. I feel for you - and him.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jan 2018, 00:36

Charlie O. wrote:A lot has happened since my last Mom update, but I'll cut to the ending:

As I hung up the phone, my first thought was: this could have been so much worse, on so many levels. She could have had something that lingered for months or years, with continued physical pain and continued fluctuations of lucidity, or even slipped into full-on dementia like a number of her elderly friends have (which I know she would have hated). Many times over the past quarter-century, and as recently as a few days ago, she told me how afraid she was that Dad would go before she did (though I never said it, I feared that, too); that didn't happen. She could have died, as her father did, terrified of what agonies might await her in Hell. (I don't know why Grandpa was so worried about that. I don't remember him being devoutly religious, and he certainly wasn't ever much of a sinner as far as I knew.)

To just "... stop breathing," with no apparent pain or fear, is a pretty enviable way to go, as ways to go go.

I wasn't sure what state I would find Jim and Dad in when I got to the hospital - but I found that we were all on the same page.

At the end, she was fighting Norovirus (picked up at the miserable rehab place she transferred to from the hospital, before THEY sent her back to the hospital on Thursday), fluid in one lung, kidneys that weren't functioning properly, very low blood pressure, and very high blood sugar. The pulmonologist told Dad and Jim yesterday (and they told me) that while he wasn't "predicting anything," we "should be prepared for the worst." I suppose we were.

Every ounce of pain, distress or anxiety your Mom was going through has ended. All gone. I sincerely hope you can find comfort in these totally obvious but nonetheless true words. Sending much love to you and your family, dear Charlie xx
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jan 2018, 00:52

Minnie the Minx wrote:Every ounce of pain, distress or anxiety your Mom was going through has ended. All gone. I sincerely hope you can find comfort in these totally obvious but nonetheless true words.

Well, they are true - that's it, in a nutshell.

Thanks, all.

And Felix - I didn't see your post 'til just now - I feel for you, my friend. Cancer's a bastard.

Return to “Nextdoorland”