Farage

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11459
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Farage

Postby The Modernist » 11 Jan 2018, 21:55

As you probably know he is now calling for a second Brexit referendum. I must admit I haven't yet read in depth his motivations or reasoning for doing this. It does, on the face of it, seem perplexing to me, like hearing Margaret Thatcher suddenly argue the case for nationalisation or something.
So what's your take? What's his game?

User avatar
CAN
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17608
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Farage

Postby CAN » 11 Jan 2018, 22:04

He’s said that the results would show that people are EVEN MORE KEEN to leave, now.

Which is further proof that he’s a deluded arse.
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

User avatar
the gorton gollum
cultural defective
Posts: 16581
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: Farage

Postby the gorton gollum » 11 Jan 2018, 22:13

Two more years in the spotlight as he builds his brand.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Woke Lad Griff wrote:I just pop in, make my childish pronouncements, then retire to Facebook to police BCB from a distance


User avatar
CAN
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17608
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Farage

Postby CAN » 11 Jan 2018, 22:21

I'd still have a drink with him. Which I couldn't say for any of the Lab or Tory front benchers.
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 4347
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: Farage

Postby echolalia » 11 Jan 2018, 23:48

There was a guy on Sky News today talking about Farage’s sudden re-emergence into the media spotlight: “He’s like a fruit machine in a pub that starts bleeping and flashing when no-one pays it any attention for five minutes.”

User avatar
sneelock
Posts: 11699
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Farage

Postby sneelock » 11 Jan 2018, 23:58

:lol: sounds familiar!
Jimbo wrote: I'm assuming it's bullshit.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23102
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Farage

Postby Toby » 12 Jan 2018, 07:25

Farage needs the EU. For one, he would be back in charge of a resurgent UKIP.

User avatar
Insouciant Western People
Posts: 24653
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: The pit of propaganda

Re: Farage

Postby Insouciant Western People » 12 Jan 2018, 08:49

Yep. I think a lot of it is that he's just got bored, and misses the limelight.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23102
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Farage

Postby Toby » 12 Jan 2018, 09:13

I've always felt since the Referendum that the upside of Leave would be the destruction of UKIP and to a certain extent a "stunting" of far-right parties.

If we do Remain, then I think the downside would be their return.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5484
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Farage

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jan 2018, 09:26

In the EU, he's got a soapbox. Without it, he's got a shrug and dead bodies lining empty streets.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32148
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Farage

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Jan 2018, 11:01

OCTO-ARM wrote:He’s said that the results would show that people are EVEN MORE KEEN to leave, now.

Which is further proof that he’s a deluded arse.


Frog faced cunt.

I suspect another referendum would favour Remain but not by that much
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Insouciant Western People
Posts: 24653
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: The pit of propaganda

Re: Farage

Postby Insouciant Western People » 12 Jan 2018, 11:28

Goat Boy wrote:I suspect another referendum would favour Remain but not by that much


A ComRes poll reported in the Mirror today has the majority of people opposed to a second referendum, but also states that if a second one were called, 55% said they would vote to Remain.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 4347
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: Farage

Postby echolalia » 12 Jan 2018, 11:39

I’ve always thought Farage would make a good Viz character. Following the Finbar Saunders template we could have Nigel Farage and his UKIP Garage, where he runs a garage that only accepts British cars. (Business is very slack indeed, naturally, giving him plenty of time to get involved in all kinds of ropey adventures like doffing migrants over the head with a spanner, going into politics etc.)

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23102
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Farage

Postby Toby » 12 Jan 2018, 12:02

Farage is arguably the most successful British politician of the modern era. By that, I would say that for someone who has never been elected to MP he has managed to change the course of British history in being a prime force behind the decision to hold the Referendum, which has been his objective. I don't like him, but in a way you have to admire his ability to make it happen.

If there's one thing I do like about the Establishment, it is that it has made it very clear in no uncertain terms that he is not welcome in it.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22942
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Farage

Postby Deebank » 12 Jan 2018, 13:59

Toby wrote:Farage is arguably the most successful British politician of the modern era. By that, I would say that for someone who has never been elected to MP he has managed to change the course of British history in being a prime force behind the decision to hold the Referendum, which has been his objective. I don't like him, but in a way you have to admire his ability to make it happen.

If there's one thing I do like about the Establishment, it is that it has made it very clear in no uncertain terms that he is not welcome in it.


While kowtowing to his every whim... admirable indeed!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11459
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Farage

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jan 2018, 14:53

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:Farage is arguably the most successful British politician of the modern era. By that, I would say that for someone who has never been elected to MP he has managed to change the course of British history in being a prime force behind the decision to hold the Referendum, which has been his objective. I don't like him, but in a way you have to admire his ability to make it happen.

If there's one thing I do like about the Establishment, it is that it has made it very clear in no uncertain terms that he is not welcome in it.


While kowtowing to his every whim... admirable indeed!


Well yes exactly, I don't buy the idea of him as some maverick outsider, although that's the image he likes to project. If the Tories could be scathing about UKIP, it's only because they saw them as a threat to their vote, there's no natural moral high ground here.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52740
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Farage

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Jan 2018, 15:14

Image

One of our best posters, even if he did edge me out of the Cup in the semi-finals once! :x
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29962
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Farage

Postby andymacandy » 12 Jan 2018, 15:30

Toby wrote:Farage is arguably the most successful British politician of the modern era. By that, I would say that for someone who has never been elected to MP he has managed to change the course of British history in being a prime force behind the decision to hold the Referendum, which has been his objective. I don't like him, but in a way you have to admire his ability to make it happen.

If there's one thing I do like about the Establishment, it is that it has made it very clear in no uncertain terms that he is not welcome in it.

He wasn't the prime force- he cleverly piggy-backed the Tory anti-EU MP's hold on Camerons knackers, and rode that to its conclusion.
Like Boris, he has a peculiar power over the British media, who despite his limited power appear to give him a loud voice in British politics these days.
And as stated above, he doesnt like full time work, but fancies the idea of another six months in the spotlight.

For me, he is only rivalled by Trump in his ability to fool a lot of people at an important time.I utterly despise them both, and cannot fathom how we got to a place where they both have a serious (sic) voice.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15086
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Farage

Postby Jimbo » 12 Jan 2018, 15:35

From what I hear you're never leaving the EU, despite the referendum. Another would be silly.
Gadfly