Lana Del Rey Says Radiohead Are Suing Her

Do talk back
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Re: Lana Del Rey Says Radiohead Are Suing Her

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Jan 2018, 21:05

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I do note Lana Del Ray's current album is called Lust for Life. I gather originality isn't her strong suit.

:D

Top be honest, I suspect that she hasn't a clue, but she needs to surround herself with more knowledgeable people and wiser counsel.

I do know she's generated more publicity for herself via this than she's had in bloody ages, even though Radiohead deny suing her, all for a song which would've escaped public notice otherwise.

Are you suggesting that this entire thing – copying someone else's song (blatantly), putting it on your new album, complaining (falsely) that you are being sued – could be a deliberate ploy to shift albums and get publicity for a new release? While I must admit it's plausible in this day and age where nothing is what it seems (hey Jimbo?), if it were true that would seem to display an extraordinary lack of confidence in the strength of Lana Del Rey's album and talent.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Jan 2018, 21:28

Here's the thing - publishers and lawyers understand how these things work. Artists don't, necessarily. It's entirely possible someone told LDR that her song was being "looked at" and she thought that meant she was being sued when, in fact, Radiohead nor their lawyers are involved at this point. Who knows. I just suspect if Radiohead are as savvy as the article Markus posted suggests, that they're in tune enough with where their money goes that they're going to do what's most advantageous to them. It may come to nothing, it may involve only the publishing companies, and it may get to court. But we are most assuredly not there at this point.

I am curious to see where this goes, but all we know for sure at this point is that LDR is claiming something untrue, either out of ignorance or deliberate dishonesty. What her aims would be if the latter are unclear.

If she's trying to make Radiohead look 'the bad guys,' or if they're trying to take her for all she's worth, it will be obvious soon enough.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Jan 2018, 21:47

toomanyhatz wrote:If she's trying to make Radiohead look 'the bad guys,' or if they're trying to take her for all she's worth, it will be obvious soon enough.

I think that it is a sad reflection of the fact that Radiohead are clearly considered something that happened so long ago that they can now be treated as irrelevant dinosaurs. And what does that say about us, not least because I consider them a bit modern for my tastes.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Return to “Yakety Yak”