Musician survey

Do talk back
Joe Baxter

Re: Musician survey

Postby Joe Baxter » 10 Jan 2018, 16:19

What instrument(s) do you play? Guitar.

Do you sing? Yes

Do you write songs? Not for a long time

Who taught you how to play? I'm self taught, though I went for piano lessons as a kid.

Do you play professionally? Have you? I was full time for around 15 years. I do one regular gig per month now, aptly named Get Aff.

Are you currently in a band? Tell us about it. Yes, see above. We have Dom on bass, upright bass and acoustic, and he's a good singer, no harmony. Davy on guitar (electric and acoustic), bass and vocals, with a bit of harmony. Myself on electric guitar and vocals, I'm the main harmony singer. Harvey on lap slide - he's the most accomplished musician amongst us. No vocals. And last but not least, Stuart on acoustic guitar and vocals, no harmony. We don't rehearse and frequently have guests sitting in with us, either for the whole gig, or along with us and often have guests up while we are on a break.

What are your strengths? I can solo over anything other than jazz progressions and can harmonise on the fly.

Weaknesses? I can't play jazz, it's like a foreign language. I have a reasonable vocal range, but wish I could go higher so's I could sing second and third part harmonies.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 10 Jan 2018, 22:01

What instrument(s) do you play?

French Horn

Do you sing?

Like Tom Jones with a hernia

Do you write songs?

I have! Bad ones too

Who taught you how to play?

Olly Blob

Do you play professionally? Have you?

And sully my art, don't be a phillistine

Are you currently in a band? Tell us about it.

No

What are your strengths?

Singing like Tom Jones with a Hernia

Weaknesses?

Singing like Tom Jones with a hernia
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Joe Baxter

Postby Joe Baxter » 11 Jan 2018, 01:30

Copehead wrote:What instrument(s) do you play?

French Horn

Do you sing?

Like Tom Jones with a hernia

Do you write songs?

I have! Bad ones too

Who taught you how to play?

Olly Blob

Do you play professionally? Have you?

And sully my art, don't be a phillistine

Are you currently in a band? Tell us about it.

No
Wow, I'm impressed.

What are your strengths?

Singing like Tom Jones with a Hernia

Weaknesses?

Singing like Tom Jones with a hernia

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Mar 2019, 19:48

Anyone else?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 05 Mar 2019, 21:29

What instrument(s) do you play? Bass & guitar

Do you sing? No

Do you write songs? Yes

Who taught you how to play? Arlen Roth lead guitar VHS (late 80s.) But quickly realised that i really wanted to be a bass player so traded my strat copy for a nice Mexican p.bass.

Do you play professionally? Have you? No

Are you currently in a band? Tell us about it. Sadly not. Last gig was the year before i met my wife, 2003. Over the past 6 months ive been playing almost daily, need to trade in my too heavy Trace Elliot Commando amp and get something more mobile, searching for a band at present. I am officially ready!

What are your strengths? Not too busy but i can be when needed. Strictly no slap though. Used to play with a plectrum, now fully play with fingers only.

Weaknesses? Nothing major

Please expound, elaborate, etc., to your heart's content Already picked the first songs id like to play live. PIck up the pieces - AWB, jungle Boogie - Kool and the gang, You should be dancing - Bee Gees, Rock the casbah - Clash. Pixies Here comes your man, Some Cure, Pistols, a good mix of fun covers. Just need a band, and a sax/trumpet player for the first few tunes.

No real idea why i havent played in so long. Perhaps seeing a relative playing in a band and realising the kids havent seen me play. MY last band didnt play covers, only stuff we'd written, got very very tedious. This time i want to play some fun covers too.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Mar 2019, 08:24

Copehead wrote:What instrument(s) do you play?

French Horn

NERD!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Mar 2019, 08:31

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Over the past 6 months ive been playing almost daily, need to trade in my too heavy Trace Elliot Commando amp and get something more mobile, searching for a band at present. I am officially ready!

I don't know where you live but Barefaced make superb ultra-light bass cabs that are much cheaper than the big names.
They're based in Brighton, UK and the boss is an ex physicist, bass player and thoroughly nice bloke called Alex Claber The cabs use light neodymium driver magnets and the cabinets are all brilliantly designed to save weight and deliver lots of bass.

Advert over, here's a link:

https://barefacedbass.com
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “Yakety Yak”