Into the hall it goes!
28%
Does not suck
72%

Total votes: 25

Charlie O.

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Song Cycle

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jan 2018, 17:40

Charlie O. wrote:Was it Brother Spoon did a brilliant write-up on this in another thread? I think so. Trying to find that thread on an iPhone is more trouble than I’m willing to take on at present, though.

Now that I'm on a proper PC... here it is, from his blog:

http://goodnighttotherocknrollera.blogspot.be/2015/09/what-i-like-about-van-dyke-parks-song.html

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Jan 2018, 18:07

The Modernist wrote: It's odd how artists from this era are treated with kid gloves, whereas you mention a UK band from the 80s and people can't wait to put the boot in. It's as if VDP is some protected species who automatically deserves a level some level of respect.

From the late 60s?Really?
all that proto prog shit and scummy blues groups, drivel like SFSorrow, Oddyssey and Oo-aaricle, Pepper and the Moody Fucking Blues, bleeding Rock Operas, cunting Van the Plank, the new, disimproved artsy-farts Beach Boys, the first two Stooges dirgeathons, all that shiny suits, sweat and farty horns 'soul', not to mention that nonsense Miles Davis pumped out because he had a hard-on for Hendrix, and of course funky-wunky cowbell wahwah - I'm always giving them a kicking, and others slaughter the Grateful Dead.
And 1976-1988 was easily the best period for British music.
For the record, I bought a reissue of that VDP thing and played it precisely once (https://www.discogs.com/seller/dyinglig ... r_id=87406) and you are precisely right. Sucks so hard it blows
Last edited by Rayge on 09 Jan 2018, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jan 2018, 18:13

The Modernist wrote:It's terrible. :lol:
Rereading this thread was quite funny, lots of 'well it's it's not my cup of tea, but you have to respect what he does' type comments. It's odd how artists from this era are treated with kid gloves, whereas you mention a UK band from the 80s and people can't wait to put the boot in. It's as if VDP is some protected species who automatically deserves a level some level of respect.

From my own perspective, I don't really qualify the era as a criteria to be judged, but I do find some music like this challenging or there's enough of it that I like that conflicts with the parts I don't like. That makes these things hard to judge.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Jan 2018, 18:30

Hmmm, a challenging Van Dyke Parks '60s LP or that horrid, '80 UK synth pop?

I'll have to ponder this...

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jan 2018, 19:15

Matt Wilson wrote:Hmmm, a challenging Van Dyke Parks '60s LP or that horrid, '80 UK synth pop?

I am a man of many moods. . .

And choose the music to fill appropriate points for the soundtrack of my life.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Jan 2018, 19:21

The Many Moods of John Crook

I'm gonna photoshop an album cover with that title.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jan 2018, 22:16

Matt Wilson wrote:Hmmm, a challenging Van Dyke Parks '60s LP or that horrid, '80 UK synth pop?

You wouldn't seriously argue it's better than 'Dare' would you? I can't see on what possible level.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Jan 2018, 22:47

The Modernist wrote:

You wouldn't seriously argue it's better than 'Dare' would you? I can't see on what possible level.

That might be a limitation on your part.

I’d take Song Cycle a thousand times in that matchup. I’d rather listen to a challenging album that’s just brimming with musical ideas and melodic invention than a more superficially willing-to-engage foray into a musical landscape offers mostly empty calories and doesn’t even appeal to me in its basic aesthetic.

It’s like comparing a Fellini movie to some CGI-laden superhero movie.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 10 Jan 2018, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Jan 2018, 22:50

The Modernist wrote:You wouldn't seriously argue it's better than 'Dare' would you? I can't see on what possible level.

The only reason I wouldn't make that argument myself is that I can't claim to have actually sat down and listened to that Human League album in its entirety.

But based on my recollection of having heard my share of The Human League, I'd rather listen to the VDP album.

(Actually, I'm listening to Dare now, and it's pretty good. I got soured on them when Don't You Want Me was unescapable. Perhaps I need to get over it.)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jan 2018, 22:53

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I’d take Song Cycle a thousand times in that matchup. I’d rather listen to a challenging album that’s just brimming with musical ideas and melodic invention than a more superficiallywikking-to-engage foray into a musical landscape offers mostly empty calories as doesn’t even appeal to me in itst basic aesthetic.

:lol:

Funny how some people here reject the best synthetic pop music, like it was really bad for you.

Really deep-rooted shit, too.

GIMME MUSIC MADE OF WOOD AND STEEL, GODDAMMIT!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Jan 2018, 23:02

It isn’t the instruments. It’s how they are used.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jan 2018, 23:28

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I’d take Song Cycle a thousand times in that matchup. I’d rather listen to a challenging album that’s just brimming with musical ideas and melodic invention than a more superficiallywikking-to-engage foray into a musical landscape offers mostly empty calories as doesn’t even appeal to me in itst basic aesthetic.

:lol:

Funny how some people here reject the best synthetic pop music, like it was really bad for you.

Really deep-rooted shit, too.

GIMME MUSIC MADE OF WOOD AND STEEL, GODDAMMIT!

Well exactly. Davey's comment is projecting all the 'it's not real music' prejudices under the sun. That's one massive and distorted filter he's seeing things through. The album is positively brimming with melody and clever musical ideas. I'd say 'Open Your Heart' has more of them than all the songs on 'Song Cycle' put together!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jan 2018, 23:37

I really think it does. And I quite enjoy Song Cycle
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 00:17

What a condescending bastard you can be! I never said “it’s not real music.”

And you accuse me of projecting??!!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jan 2018, 00:25

how else would you interpret this?

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:superficially willing-to-engage foray into a musical landscape offers mostly empty calories

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jan 2018, 00:27

I like bits of SC quite a bit, but i seldom get the urge to listen to it much as a whole. I wouldn't say it's sucky though, just not 'great'.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 00:29

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:how else would you interpret this?

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:superficially willing-to-engage foray into a musical landscape offers mostly empty calories

I’d interpret it as saying that I don’t find it particularly deep or interesting. That’s not the same as saying it isn’t real music.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jan 2018, 00:37

I've got Davey's back in the Dare match-up. Never saw what the fuss was about with that one.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jan 2018, 00:39

Everyone's allowed the odd blind spot, Charlie.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jan 2018, 00:52

The Human League or ABC or... God, there were so many... are the UK equivalent of Styx, or Journey. The Britons who were of age at the time can wax nostalgic all they want, just like Americans of a certain vintage. One is not necessarily better than the other - but I'm sure I'll be deluged with opinions to the contrary any minute now.

Return to “Yakety Yak”