23%
The MC5
30%

Total votes: 40

Quaco
F R double E

Re: !!THREE BAND SHOWDOWN II!!

Postby Quaco » 04 Jan 2018, 04:36

Charlie O. wrote:I’m surprised that there are so many of you who can’t admit how good Tha Police were. I know it hurts, but the truth often does.

It hurts [sic] everybody!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 04 Jan 2018, 04:39

The Police were quite fantastic for four albums.

I respect people like Bent Fabric's views on MC5 and they're probably right. I've been bowled over by a few of their videos myself.

Never liked the Cure. I have personal nostalgia for a few moments of listening to them, and for a few of their side projects, but I just keep feeling RS was basically a lazy songwriter. But maybe it's just a personal thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 04 Jan 2018, 05:10

The one I've been the biggest fan of is The Police but that was Outlandos d'Amour-days and I was not even eight years old so I think I can be forgiven for thinking Sting's reggae-fied bleatings were better than they actually are.

Answering the MC5 is, of course, the coolest option of the three and that might be true as well as far as their incendiary live performances are concerned but i'm a fan who thinks these Detroit legends made patchy records (love 'Looking at You' 7", 'High School', 'Sister Anne', but the Kick Out the Jams live LP does go on a bit).

I picked The Cure because seeing them live a couple of years ago playing their first three LPs back to back, then encoring with another 17 A & B sides, was one of the best live shows I've ever seen...Robert Smith is an insanely good guitar player.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jan 2018, 06:02

Aerosmith

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 04 Jan 2018, 09:50

I guess from those it's got to be the MC5. Maybe just because they didn't last long enough to destroy the reputation they'd got in their short life. The Police are worth a compilation that I wouldn't play more than once a decade. And about The Cure, you are finely served with the first two and the Staring at the Sea singles comp.
Nobody's ferpect.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 04 Jan 2018, 10:03

There is only one sensible answer.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Jan 2018, 10:20

Odd that nearly everyone who’s posted on the thread has said MC5, but The Cure are (following my vote) winning.

Truth be told it’s a long time since I listened to them, but they had some great pop songs and a fine command of atmosphere and texture, though some of their more proto-emo things leave a lot to be desired.

I guess MC5 are the ”cool” answer (is that a consideration on BCB?), but I always found them decidedly mediocre; nouse and energy can only go so far towards hiding that. The Police had some good songs but don’t turn me on.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 Jan 2018, 10:55

All three are fine. The Cure (up to a point) and The Police were excellent singles bands.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Jan 2018, 10:57

PENK wrote:Odd that nearly everyone who’s posted on the thread has said MC5, but The Cure are (following my vote) winning.

Truth be told it’s a long time since I listened to them, but they had some great pop songs and a fine command of atmosphere and texture, though some of their more proto-emo things leave a lot to be desired.

I guess MC5 are the ”cool” answer (is that a consideration on BCB?), but I always found them decidedly mediocre; nouse and energy can only go so far towards hiding that. The Police had some good songs but don’t turn me on.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel (but was too lazy to write last night). Strip away all the revolutionary rhetoric that surrounds them, which is admittedly interesting (and certainly more interesting than the music), and the MC5 don't sound that different to any other early 70s hard rock band.

Flower

Postby Flower » 04 Jan 2018, 12:29

Flower wrote:John lad, thanks for all your hard work on the boards. I'd love it if you did another three band poll! cheers, Flowers

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 04 Jan 2018, 12:42

:P
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Jan 2018, 14:16

kewl klive wrote:All three are fine. The Cure (up to a point) and The Police were excellent singles bands.

This is true. I chose the MC5 to be cool.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Jan 2018, 15:21

The Modernist wrote:Strip away all the revolutionary rhetoric that surrounds them, which is admittedly interesting (and certainly more interesting than the music), and the MC5 don't sound that different to any other early 70s hard rock band.

Oh but they do, very much so. You just haven't listened to the right things. The two studio albums released in their lifetime are a little on the staid side, but the live stuff released since their demise, especially Black to Comm, which I had as a ROIR tape and was released as a CD in 1996, show off how much they were influenced by free jazz and general noiseniks. They were the exact opposite of their contemporaries the Stooges, in that they had blisteringly good players with an accountant in an afro as a front man, rather than a great vocalist and three lumps.
Better songs, too.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Jan 2018, 18:38

The Cure.

I used to love the Police, but like the Talking Heads, history has not been too kind to them. For three or four albums, they were great.

The MC5 are like Slade - way overrated by BCB. An opening arena act or decent bar band, at best. They were what local Battle of the Bands competitions were designed for.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 04 Jan 2018, 18:50

You're not exactly covering yourself in glory today, sloop :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Jan 2018, 18:56

Rayge wrote: They were the exact opposite of their contemporaries the Stooges, in that they had blisteringly good players with an accountant in an afro as a front man, rather than a great vocalist and three lumps.
Better songs, too.

I disagree with all of this, but it's a great description! :lol:

I think the original Stooges (and Williamson too, for that matter) are, while unquestionably not as skilled as their counterparts in the MC5, a whole lot more than lumps, in the same way as, say, the original Alice Cooper Band. They learned along with that singer, and had great instincts. (I particularly love Dave Alexander's bass style - if the ideas are coming faster than your chops can keep up with, just drop a beat and jump back in on the next one. :D )
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Jan 2018, 19:15

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:You're not exactly covering yourself in glory today, sloop :)

If you mean by disagreeing with BCB's prevailing musical attitudes, I'd say I'm doing quite well. If you're using Rayge as your standard bearer as arbiter of good music, then I feel sorry for you.

Ya'll can kiss my "Scott Walker sucks donkey dicks" lily-white ass.

;)
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jan 2018, 23:02

shakes head sadly...

John, if you're gonna use sacred American BCBisms like that, at least get it right. It's "Scott Walker sucks donkey dicks in hell." Go practice 50 times until you get it right. Every word counts!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Jan 2018, 23:31

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Strip away all the revolutionary rhetoric that surrounds them, which is admittedly interesting (and certainly more interesting than the music), and the MC5 don't sound that different to any other early 70s hard rock band.

Oh but they do, very much so. You just haven't listened to the right things. The two studio albums released in their lifetime are a little on the staid side, but the live stuff released since their demise, especially Black to Comm, which I had as a ROIR tape and was released as a CD in 1996, show off how much they were influenced by free jazz and general noiseniks. They were the exact opposite of their contemporaries the Stooges, in that they had blisteringly good players with an accountant in an afro as a front man, rather than a great vocalist and three lumps.
Better songs, too.

Than The Stooges? No way, in fact I'd say they were a band who had a good sound who were in (a usually futile) search of a decent song.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 05 Jan 2018, 00:01

The Cure for me. From the debut until the mid 90's, they produced fabulous music. We're talking consistency for 15 years. MC 5 were fine, but a 5 minute wonder, and the Police produced a fair amount of excellent singles but patchy albums.

Return to “Yakety Yak”