Re: Scientists

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 15:51

by 1950 he was a bit fucking late.
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 15:56

yomptepi wrote:by 1950 he was a bit fucking late.

So you'd rather he didn't admit he was wrong in his previous beliefs?

So, in fact, you're now criticising him for doing precisely what you encouraged scientists to do when they got it wrong.

And you wonder why some think you're an ignorant blowhard Michael?
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 15:59

Darryl Strawberry wrote:This is utter nonsense.

Do explain , Einstein.

The data that informed Blair to switch to diesel must have come from somewhere. You voted for him, so I am absolutely sure it cannot have been from any tainted source. Are you saying that the information given to Blair was wrong? In which case , who gave it to him if not the scientific community? Or is that a stupid question?

You concede that it was a bad decision, don't you.
And you do understand that because of it, thousands have had their health damaged.
And you know that it was the last Labour government who decided on the switch to diesel? Presumably because of information given to them by scientists, rather than car manufacturers or oil producers. Who in turn would be using information from their scientists?

So how did it all go down?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 16:00

Diamond Dog wrote:
yomptepi wrote:by 1950 he was a bit fucking late.

So you'd rather he didn't admit he was wrong in his previous beliefs?

So, in fact, you're now criticising him for doing precisely what you encouraged scientists to do when they got it wrong.

And you wonder why some think you're an ignorant blowhard Michael?

I just think that maybe late 1945 might have been a better time. Why did it take him 5 years to realise it was a bad thing?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 16:05

Because many did - and still do- believe that the Atomic bomb saved many hundreds of thousands of America lives at the end of WW2.

It was only with the Russian's developing their nuclear programme and the upcoming escalation to the hydrogen bomb that many saw the way things were going.

He realised the error and said so.

If anything, he should be praised for that, not criticised (especially in light of your prior criticisms of all scientists for their refusal to accept when they've got it wrong).
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 16:09

I was in the right ballpark.

“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 16:13

Diamond Dog wrote:Because many did - and still do- believe that the Atomic bomb saved many hundreds of thousands of America lives at the end of WW2.

It was only with the Russian's developing their nuclear programme and the upcoming escalation to the hydrogen bomb that many saw the way things were going.

If anything, he should be praised for that, not criticised (especially in light of your prior criticisms of all scientists for their refusal to accept when they've got it wrong).

So it all MY fault?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 16:15

yomptepi wrote:

Do explain , Einstein.

This hideous nonsense.
As far as the diesel issue is concerned, I am sure that most scientist knew that diesel was far more poisonous that petrol.

I can't be bothered explaining how science works again. You would make the worst scientist in the universe:, dogmatic and unbending and blind to fact.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 16:18

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Do explain , Einstein.

This hideous nonsense.
As far as the diesel issue is concerned, I am sure that most scientist knew that diesel was far more poisonous that petrol.

I can't be bothered explaining how science works again. You would make the worst scientist in the universe:, dogmatic and unbending and blind to fact.

So you don't believe that scientists knew that diesel was more polluting than diesel when Blair's Labour government decided on the switch to diesel. You are saying that they thought petrol was worse?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 16:29

Darryl Strawberry wrote:I was in the right ballpark.

Well... you stated H bomb... not A bomb... and that letter is dated 1939..... but, yes, Einstein was highly important in the theory of nuclear bombs.... by his own admission though, he had very little to do with its development in New Mexico and virtually (maybe) nothing to do with thermonuclear (Hydrogen) weapons.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 27 Dec 2017, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 16:32

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Because many did - and still do- believe that the Atomic bomb saved many hundreds of thousands of America lives at the end of WW2.

So it all MY fault?

Is that the best you can do?

I'm pointing out that you criticised Einstein for changing his mind and admitting that nuclear devices were not morally acceptable - having previously criticised all scientists for refusing to accept when they've made a mistake.

You do understand why I consider that be rank hypocrisy, don;t you?

Or, more worryingly, you probably don't.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 16:45

I am not sure it is rank hypocrisy. I think it is a bit like letting the genie out of the bottle, and then apologising once everything has been destroyed. But have it your own way.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 17:01

Diamond Dog wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:I was in the right ballpark.

Well... you stated H bomb... not A bomb... and that letter is dated 1939..... but, yes, Einstein was highly important in the theory of nuclear bombs.... by his own admission though, he had very little to do with its development in New Mexico and virtually (maybe) nothing to do with thermonuclear (Hydrogen) weapons.

I couldn't quite remember the timeline, although I'm sure Yomp will accuse me of deliberately surpressing facts.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 17:03

yomptepi wrote:I am not sure it is rank hypocrisy. I think it is a bit like letting the genie out of the bottle, and then apologising once everything has been destroyed. But have it your own way.

So which would you have preferred :

a) He refused to accept his error and kept schtum (which is what you were arguing against) or
b) He accepted he got it wrong and said so (which is what you're now arguing against)?

Once you've answered that (which should be quite easy for you, as you see everything in black and white and have never made a mistake in your life) I'll then 'have it my way'.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 17:12

Anytime you fancy quitting on this, feel free.

You know, once you realise your position(s) is/are completely indefensible.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 17:47

Diamond Dog wrote:Anytime you fancy quitting on this, feel free.

i thought the whole point of this debate was that scientists could not ever be wrong?

So which is it?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 17:56

yomptepi wrote:

i thought the whole point of this debate was that scientists could not ever be wrong?

So which is it?

The ironic thing is that Einstein scientifically could not have been more correct. You appear to want to hang a scientist for changing his moral standpoint - which is even more bizarre.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 18:04

Diamond Dog wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

So which is it?

The ironic thing is that Einstein scientifically could not have been more correct. You appear to want to hang a scientist for changing his moral standpoint - which is even more bizarre.

In what respect. In that he had conceived a weapon which could destroy the world? and what of Oppenheimer? It seems odd that one could spend years developing a weapon of mass destruction and then think apologising would be adequate. How odd.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 18:16

yomptepi wrote:i thought the whole point of this debate was that scientists could not ever be wrong?

So which is it?

When did anyone say this? Other than you? (And probably Gash).

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 18:17

yomptepi wrote:i thought the whole point of this debate was that scientists could not ever be wrong?

So which is it?

Alternative response: peer review.