Airconditioning (expanded)

Do talk back
C
Robust

Airconditioning (expanded)

Postby C » 22 Dec 2017, 16:39

26th January

Product description
A NEWLY REMASTERED & EXPANDED 2CD EDITION OF CURVED AIR s LEGENDARY 1970 DEBUT ALBUM Esoteric Recordings is proud to announce the release of a new expanded and re-mastered 2 CD edition of Curved Air s classic 1970 album Air Conditioning . Originally issued on the Warner Bros. label in November 1970, Air Conditioning showcased the highly innovative talents of Sonja Kristina (vocals), ex-Royal College of Music student Darryl Way (violin), former Royal Academy of Music student Francis Monkman (electric guitar, piano, mellotron, VCS3 synthesiser), Rob Martin (bass) and Florian Pilkington-Miksa (drums). Taking their name from the album A Rainbow in Curved Air by American composer Terry Riley, Curved Air s debut album perfectly demonstrated the band s innovative musical approach, blending classical, electronic and folk music influences in their work and featuring Sonja Kristina s sublime vocals. Featuring such classic tracks as It Happened Today , Propositions , Vivaldi and Situations , Air Conditioning was a Top Ten hit in the UK and firmly established Curved Air as one of Britain s foremost progressive bands. This new expanded Esoteric Recordings two disc edition features the original album, re-mastered from the original master tapes, along with eleven bonus tracks which include the rare single version of It Happened Today and the non-album track What Happens When You Blow Yourself Up . Disc Two of the set features three previously unissued session out-takes of It Happened Today , Rob One and the highly sought after Thinking on the Floor and six tracks recorded in session for BBC Radio One between November 1970 and January 1971. This new edition of Air Conditioning also includes an illustrated booklet with a new essay by Malcolm Dome featuring an exclusive interviews with band members. NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES WITH 11 BONUS TRACKS DRAWN FROM PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED STUDIO OUT-TAKES & BBC SESSIONS RECORDED BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1970 & JANUARY 1971 INCLUDES ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET WITH NEW ESSAY BY MALCOLM DOME

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: Airconditioning (expanded)

Postby soundchaser » 22 Dec 2017, 17:14

Yes, I’m really looking forward to this one. Airconditioning, is the first album I ever bought, so is very special to me...luckily, its a gem. This album has never sounded that great, either on vinyl, or CD, so hopefully the remaster may sort that dullness out. Packed with extras, as well...I’m in!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 23 Dec 2017, 16:14

I have the old version.

Never made a big impression.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 24 Dec 2017, 01:16

And they're also doing Air Cut.... opinions on this one? Not familiar with it but very curious. As included in the press release below, all prior CD releases of it were vinyl rips, but this one is from the newly found master tapes. I'm assuming since there's Jobson on it, there must be at least some worthy material?

"Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a new official re-mastered edition of Curved Air’s classic album “Air Cut”. Originally released on the Warner Bros. label in 1974, “Air Cut” featured a new line-up of Curved Air featuring Sonja Kristina (vocals, acoustic guitar), Mike Wedgwood (bass, vocals), Kirby Gregory (guitar), Eddie Jobson (keyboards, violin) and Jim Russell (drums).

Although original members Darryl Way, Francis Monkman, and Florian Pilkington Miksa had departed, Sonja Kristina assembled a new group drawn from some immense talents, including those of eighteen year old Eddie Jobson. Perhaps one of Curved Air’s most progressive albums, “Air Cut” featured some outstanding compositions such as ‘The Purple Speed Queen’ and the ten-minute epic ‘Metamorphosis’.

This new edition of “Air Cut” has been re-mastered from the recently located original master tapes for the very first time (with previous CD editions being taken from vinyl transfers). The illustrated booklet restores the original album artwork and features an essay by Malcolm Dome and exclusive band interviews.

Tracklist
1. The Purple Speed Queen
2. Elfin Boy
3. Metamorphosis
4. World
5. Armin
6. U.H.F.
7. Two Three Two
8. Easy"
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Dec 2017, 09:37

The two principle players had left by the time of Air Cut, but their replacements, Kirby and Eddie Jobson, more than held their own. More of a conventional rock album, than Airconditioning , and whilst the songs might not be quite up there, it’s still an album I can highly recommend. Try The Purple Speed Queen. I think you’ll like that one.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2017, 12:15

The exciting aspect of these releases is that they are taken from the masters

Esoteric always do a good job

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Dec 2017, 12:33

C wrote:The exciting aspect of these releases is that they are taken from the masters

If I finally get to hear Airconditioning in all its intended glory, then I’ll be over several moons!

:D

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2017, 14:45

soundchaser wrote:
C wrote:The exciting aspect of these releases is that they are taken from the masters

If I finally get to hear Airconditioning in all its intended glory, then I’ll be over several moons!

:D

same here. The last CD version wasn't bad though

(better than my origianl 'picture disc' LP)

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2017, 20:58

Nancy wrote:Although original members Darryl Way, Francis Monkman, and Florian Pilkington Miksa had departed

That's a big loss reap but the album is worth a listen

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 24 Dec 2017, 22:25

What I'd love to see is a proper remaster (or even a Steve Wilson remix) of Phantasmagoria. That really sounds shit, but the original masters are lost, AFAIK.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 24 Dec 2017, 22:38

FWIW I think Air Cut is their best album.
“Erratic associate member”

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 24 Dec 2017, 22:58

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I have the old version.

Never made a big impression.

it's actually very good if you persevere, but Sonja couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Dec 2017, 11:02

Neil Jung wrote:FWIW

Nothing

X

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 25 Dec 2017, 12:22

slightbreeze wrote: Sonja couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag

:evil: You’re talking about the object of my teenage lust...how dare you!

And I disagree. I love her voice. Very dark and velvety on Aircondioning.

Not sure about the screech on Curved Air Live (1975), but she was in fine voice when I saw her a couple of years ago.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Dec 2017, 15:16

Sonja had a great voice and a nice pair of tits

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 25 Dec 2017, 20:30

C wrote:Sonja had a great voice and a nice pair of tits

She needed the tits to distract from the singing :D

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Dec 2017, 21:08

slightbreeze wrote:

She needed the tits to distract from the singing :D

:lol:

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Dec 2017, 13:43

Remember the centre spread posters they used to do in Sounds?

There was a great one of Sonja, once...or maybe twice.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 Dec 2017, 14:47

soundchaser wrote:

Remember the centre spread posters they used to do in Sounds?

There was a great one of Sonja, once...or maybe twice.

Come on, how many copies did you buy?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Dec 2017, 15:44

slightbreeze wrote:
Come on, how many copies did you buy?

Just the one. There was NME and MM to consider as well.

Return to “Yakety Yak”