Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

Postby Copehead » 21 Dec 2017, 20:35

Moleskin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Frankie Boyle is a cunt. End of.
There's nothing edgy about mocking Down Syndrome, it's just cuntish behaviour.

Hmm, I've just been trying to find any of the material about this, but can't find any. The strange thing is, Frankie Boyle, is normally quite politically correct, despite his love of causing offense. It would be strange for him to have a go at people with Down's syndrome, rather than the way society deals with people with Down's syndrome.

Having said that, some of his stand-up (though I've never seen him in the flesh) is pretty poor, his TV shows have been far better.

It was a comment about Katie Price's son.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/ ... atie-price

I don't think that was what G was talking about, because the bit you posted is obviously not about Katie Price's son it is about how Katie Price has monetized her son, along with the rest of her family, to make a living.

I think there was some spat about a joke he told that caused the parent of a Down's child to walk out of a show and complain.

Perhaps it was the same joke, in which case it certainly wasn't mocking the medical condition of her son but her making money from it.

Which in my mind are two separate things.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Dec 2017, 20:46

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote: I think prime Billy Connolly (circa late 70s/early 80s say) is still the best stand up I've seen.

Without question.
I saw a documentary celebrating his 50 years in showbiz that made me cry with laughter a couple of times at what were just short extracts from shows.

He is the greatest raconteur or shaggy dog story teller I have ever seen

I love the fact that as he has Parkinson's disease these days he comes on to stage to whole lock of shaking going on.

I loved the advice he was given about dealing with shaking hands - put them in your pocket - actually Billy I use my jacket pocket - and the facial expressions he pulled while acting this out.

A genius

What does the Pope drink - Crème De menthe - 2 pints of that then - no wonder they carry him around in a chair

That isn't objectively very funny, but when he tells it it is

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 22 Dec 2017, 04:26

Though a few years dead Patrice O'Neil is my current favorite.
Gadfly

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Dec 2017, 11:13

Copehead wrote:I have warmed increasingly to James Acaster this year, he has a persona that is difficult to explain, like a rather intelligent hyper logical 10 year old boy, but he is fantastically funny on panel shows.

The bit on Would I lie to You where he introduced a 10 year kid as his arch enemy and recounted their cabbage based feud was one of the funniest things I have seen on TV for years, and then it all turned out to be true.

I'd never heard of him until I saw that episode. It was hilarious, up there with Bob Mortimor's brilliant tales on that show which always turn out to be true.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 12:06

Copehead wrote:
He is the greatest raconteur or shaggy dog story teller I have ever seen

I love the fact that as he has Parkinson's disease these days he comes on to stage to whole lock of shaking going on.

I loved the advice he was given about dealing with shaking hands - put them in your pocket - actually Billy I use my jacket pocket - and the facial expressions he pulled while acting this out.

A genius

What does the Pope drink - Crème De menthe - 2 pints of that then - no wonder they carry him around in a chair

That isn't objectively very funny, but when he tells it it is

That's one of the most annoying things about Connolly, when he tells funny stories with no real punch line, and you try to tell someone it. It's just impossible.

It's like the story he tells of the cardinal who visits his old primary school in Scotland. One cheeky kid tells him to fuck off, and the cardinal calmly tells the kid for the next ten minutes how he started out in this very primary school, went to secondary school, uni, studied to be a priest, more studying etc etc (making it sound like he's trying to encourage the kid like, if I can do it so can you). So he finally gets to the part where he's right up there working with the pope, then when he finishes, out of nowhere he says, "so you're telling me to fuck off, YOU fuck off" .
Last edited by Dr Markus on 22 Dec 2017, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

NMB

Postby NMB » 22 Dec 2017, 12:49

trans-chigley express wrote:
Copehead wrote:I have warmed increasingly to James Acaster this year, he has a persona that is difficult to explain, like a rather intelligent hyper logical 10 year old boy, but he is fantastically funny on panel shows.

The bit on Would I lie to You where he introduced a 10 year kid as his arch enemy and recounted their cabbage based feud was one of the funniest things I have seen on TV for years, and then it all turned out to be true.

I'd never heard of him until I saw that episode. It was hilarious, up there with Bob Mortimor's brilliant tales on that show which always turn out to be true.

I've been to one of his shows and he can maintain it over a couple of hours, had me crying with laughter several times.
turn on, tune in, nod off

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 22 Dec 2017, 13:15

The Modernist wrote:Frankie Boyle is a cunt. End of.
There's nothing edgy about mocking Down Syndrome, it's just cuntish behaviour.

Indeed. He is a colossal cunt. Very depressing to see him being lauded as some kind of metropolitan liberal hero recently by the usual lefty drones. He needs beating half to death.
You don't like me...do you?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 13:17

I thought the leftys hated him because of jokes like the Havery and down syndrome jokes.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 22 Dec 2017, 13:50

Anybody with a soul hates the sneering prick.
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Dec 2017, 14:29

His columns are just regurgitated 3rd rate Chomskyisms.

Adolescent stuff.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 14:40

I do think he goes a bit too far some times, but i'd be lying if I didn't say there were times he had me in stiches on MOTW.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Dec 2017, 14:43

Frankie Boyle's New World Order was just about the best thing on TV last year, too. And he seems to have united the right and left of BCB into hating him, so he must be doing something right.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Dec 2017, 14:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:Frankie Boyle's New World Order was just about the best thing on TV last year, too. And he seems to have united the right and left of BCB into hating him, so he must be doing something right.

Yeah I enjoyed that too. He knew he has to tone it down for the time slot etc, but it didn't take away anything from him. He was funny.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 22 Dec 2017, 18:51

Stewart Lee
Alexei Sayle
Ross Noble
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 22 Dec 2017, 18:58

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:
I don't really get this 'favourite comedian' at all tho' to be honest. It's like asking what your favourite by-road is or something.

What's your favourite post-punk band?
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 22 Dec 2017, 19:04

Toby wrote: ...smug, metropolitan liberal elite...

:lol:

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 22 Dec 2017, 21:58

German Dave wrote:
Toby wrote: ...smug, metropolitan liberal elite...

:lol:

You rang :)

What Toby doesn't realize is he is describing people like himself as much as anyone lefty.

The Cameroonian end of the Tory party is far more smug, metropolitan, liberal and elitist than anything Corbyn and his ilk could dream of.

But self awareness is in short supply on the right along with a lot of other virtues.

I am sure on some level Toby and the mouth breathers are aware that Stewart Lee is playing a comedy character designed to make them angry, but they can't do anything other than get angry about him.

Which is rather delicious.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 22 Dec 2017, 22:05

I don't get angry with him you wretched goon.

I've seen him live a number of times. I just find the positioning of his politics a bit dull.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 22 Dec 2017, 22:14

Toby wrote:I don't get angry with him you wretched goon.

I've seen him live a number of times. I just find the positioning of his politics a bit dull.

Well you would do he is a thoughtful and articulate left winger :)

I apologise for lumping you in with the lackwits who confuse a comedic persona with the man, whether that be Lee, Boyle or anyone else you can think of.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Dec 2017, 22:43

Toby wrote:I don't get angry with him you wretched goon.

Not taking sides here, but I love this insult. It's almost as good as 'you dirty old rotter'.