Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
driftin

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby driftin » 11 Dec 2017, 13:12

pcqgod wrote:Image

Kong Skull Island (2017)

This is some preposterous stuff that doesn't stand up to any logical scrutiny, even accepting that giant monsters exist on a magical island somewhere. But the appearances of the lead monster are great and the sequence with Kong versus US Army helicopters is ridiculously fun and I like the fact that instead of the usual brontosaurs and tyranosaurs we get giant water buffalo, daddy longlegs and walking sticks, etc. [/spoiler]
There's barely any plot in that but what little there is beautifully told. The mechanics of its core filmmaking - the cinematography, the editing, the pacing, its general visual and audio storytelling - is very solid and far more deserving of attention than most dumbo CGI blockbusters.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Dec 2017, 17:25

The Missouri Breaks, USA 1976

Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson, Randy Quaid, Frederick Forrest, Harry Dean Stanton fer cryin' out loud, Jesus Christ.

Arthur (Bonnie and Clyde) Penn's mega-flop is a horse rustler (b)romance caper manhunt revenge drama sort of thing and I gather critics and audiences alike confused the varieties of tone used with incoherence. I don't know, it worked for me.

Brando plays an eccentric bounty-hunter who tracks the rustlers relentlessly and remorselessly and he seems to be having a good time, kissing a horse, getting up in drag, delivering odd monologues in an Irish brogue and so forth.

So here is how the West was won: through fear and violence, with lots of mud and squalor. The ostensible villains here are really the good guys and the most upstanding citizen in the community is an absolute bastard. There you go.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Dec 2017, 22:29

Before I Go to Sleep

I gave it an hour, mostly because Kidman was so impressive but the story was getting kind of wack a doo.

It does remind me of the enormous presence she brings to her roles and the sheer range of her talent having just recently seen her in Top of the Lake: China Girl
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Dec 2017, 22:35

Neige wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Image

Six year-old Clementine loved it and in truth it's pretty irresistible.

We went to see it yesterday too... and it's pretty much perfect
The most enjoyable Pixar film since Up, IMO.

But I really hated the holiday Frozen spin-off they showed before. Cringeworthy kitsch of the worst kind.

We saw this last night and loved it. I've been in tears at pretty much every recent Pixar movie by the end of it. I'm not ashamed to say I absolutely lost it when the family came together in the end. Really positive message - kids will come away from it valuing music and family, and it's not just cheap sentiment. One of the movies of the year for sure.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Dec 2017, 23:12

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

The Missouri Breaks, USA 1976

Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson, Randy Quaid, Frederick Forrest, Harry Dean Stanton fer cryin' out loud, Jesus Christ.

Arthur (Bonnie and Clyde) Penn's mega-flop is a horse rustler (b)romance caper manhunt revenge drama sort of thing and I gather critics and audiences alike confused the varieties of tone used with incoherence. I don't know, it worked for me.

Brando plays an eccentric bounty-hunter who tracks the rustlers relentlessly and remorselessly and he seems to be having a good time, kissing a horse, getting up in drag, delivering odd monologues in an Irish brogue and so forth.

So here is how the West was won: through fear and violence, with lots of mud and squalor. The ostensible villains here are really the good guys and the most upstanding citizen in the community is an absolute bastard. There you go.

Yeah, it's pretty much universally panned, but I don't mind it myself. I wouldn't say it's a good movie - but it's certainly not terrible either. People always point out how Marlon wears a dress seemingly for no reason, but I'm pretty sure there's a scene wear Jack mentions wearing a dress while Marlon is in the bathtub, and that's why the dress is worn subsequently. It's like a fuck you to the Nicholson character.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Dec 2017, 17:40

Fucking awful: I can't remember a children's movie I've enjoyed less than this. From Dudley Moore's insipid narration and stupid animal voices to the utterly moronic anthropomorphic reaction shots and weird actual animal violence, everything about this thing is intensely annoying.

Now I find out that the thing is pieced together from footage shot in China and there are concerns about animal abuse during the production. :roll:

Even my six year-old didn't like it and that's pretty telling.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Dec 2017, 14:22

While it had some amusing ideas and sequences, this was pretty uneven overall, with the chuckles too few and far between.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Dec 2017, 04:49

Shock Corridor

One of Sam Fuller's more popular pictures is all right, I guess. I had the Criterion DVD and upgraded to the blu but after watching it again and perusing the supplemental features I'm not so sure it's all that good, much less great. It's views on psychiatry are fairly standard and in keeping with what was thought over fifty years ago. The acting does nothing for me and the script has some laughable (not intentionally either) moments. I dunno, maybe Jim Jarmusch, Tarentino and Tim Robbins are right about the guy, who knows... I think Fuller made better pictures than this, put it that way.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Dec 2017, 13:50

Art-house flick, providing a metaphor about how we're all trapped by our work environment, and we'd all rather die than go home for Christmas.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Dec 2017, 16:26

Yeah, I remember that. I thought it was too cerebral - too influenced by Euro arthouse cinema. They probably teach it in film school.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Dec 2017, 21:41

My son (who's 10) watched this in school, and enthused about it enough to convince my wife to order it. I think some of his coursework has been based around a book on Philippe Petit's walk, too, I'm not sure what, I should take more notice of his edjercation, or he'll not be all erudite n stuff like what I am. Anyway, the film's quite lightweight, but entertaining enough. It's slightly irritating with it's jaunty/quirky narration and set-pieces, the love story doesn't work at all, and the CGI is quite lame. But the topic is interesting enough, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is captivating enough as the lead (and just about stays on the right side of not-quite-annoying), and the actual section on the wire does get you contemplating just what the experience would feel like, and begs the question: why on earth would anyone go to such an effort to risk their life in such a way.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Dec 2017, 06:22

Film adaptation of Orwell's dystopian novel which we all had to read in college. Since it's been well over thirty years since I've perused its pages, it looks to be fairly faithful, with Richard Burton's last performance enshrined on celluloid for our perusal. It's slightly dull, but then, so was the book. I still enjoyed it though and the alternate soundtrack, with the Eurythmics music, is included.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Dec 2017, 20:58

About to watch this:

Which is also how I picture each BCB jolly-up.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Dec 2017, 05:03

The Naked Kiss

Another one of Samuel Fuller's* more popular films, except this time I like it. You've got prostitution, Pedophilia, and pimps - all in mid '60s B-movie glory. Another upgrade from my Criterion DVD, just like Shock Corridor. Fuller is the poor man's Peckinpah, and none the worse for it.

* Does no BCBer even know who Sam Fuller is? Snee? Shakes head, sadly...

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 25 Dec 2017, 08:01

The Big Red One was released in the cinema here. Otherwise it would be art house cinemas. Not a Sam fan so he doesn't really tick any boxes for me.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Dec 2017, 10:15

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Art-house flick, providing a metaphor about how we're all trapped by our work environment, and we'd all rather die than go home for Christmas.

Best Xmas movie ever, you can shove your "it's a wonderful life" malarkey.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Dec 2017, 15:36

Jeemo wrote:The Big Red One was released in the cinema here. Otherwise it would be art house cinemas. Not a Sam fan so he doesn't really tick any boxes for me.

Well, at least you know who he is. Merry Christmas, Jeemo!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2017, 18:46

The Great Defector wrote:

Heresy. I've never really cared much for it. I prefer Die Hard 2, it's a crap film, but much more fun because of its stupidity.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Dec 2017, 21:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

Heresy. I've never really cared much for it. I prefer Die Hard 2, it's a crap film, but much more fun because of its stupidity.

......in your opinion.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2017, 21:27

Oh no, it's definitely stupid.

Return to “Screenadelica”