Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Dec 2017, 18:17

CONTAINS SETLIST SPOILERS
We went to see Gary Numan last night playing at a fairly small venue in Austin. There were about 900 people there, we were fairly close up about five rows back and near the speakers, something Baron is aware of this morning (I wore earplugs.) It had been set up to be a bit of a disaster - torrential rain all day - I mean torrential. And it was cold too, so a bit of a grim combination to be at an open air venue. Anyhow, the minute we got out the car in our raincoats the rain stopped, just like that and never came back.
We caught about half of a technically proficient but soulless support band and got close up. My main concern for the whole thing, having avoided any set lists, was that I had been reading interview after interview about how he didn't want to be obliged to play any of his old material. I had given some of his newer stuff a listen and while I didn't dislike it as such, I don't think I would ever seek it out to listen to more than once. Of course, all his early stuff is tied up in a very strong emotional connection with that time in my life and that's the feeling I was seeking to replicate (ha ha see what I did there).

The stage was pretty small really and it's a fairly physical show, both guitarists do a lot of leaning over into the audience in a menacing way and they are both big blokes, one of them used to be in Pop Will Eat Itself I think - I looked them both up but can't recall their names just now. I hadn't realised he was so short actually,but then they did dwarf him. He started off with something from the new album - don't ask me what - but then next up immediately started playing 'Metal' ( I think, I went so ape I can't remember) - and this is how it went - about three new ones would be followed by something older. He played a cripplingly gorgeous version of Down in the Park which almost had me going full lighter wave bastshit, and at one point brought on his daughter to sing vocals with him for "My Name is Ruin."

Highlights were for me - seeing the very human Numan (sorry) clearly enjoying himself so much. I mean, he was having a whale of a time out there, no doubt about it, and was throwing shapes that put me to shame. His band, too, clearly enjoyed themselves. I particularly enjoyed the times when he went back into the darkness and dicked about on his synth, leaning into it like a madman. Wonderful. I was close up enough to be leaning into the band and singing along and doing air punches and air keyboard playing. The end of Down in the Park for example, I kept on doing the keyboards in the air at the end long after everyone else had started clapping and I rather enjoyed that.

The encore was full of old songs only - he came back twice - and played Cars, Are Friends Electric and I Die You Die. I fucking love, love love I Die You Die and I couldn't move as it was packed so I jumped up and down on the spot, which my spine took some exception to.

Low points - I couldn't fathom the crowd's reaction really. I don't understand why you would go and see a band, and do muted clapping. You've paid money to go and see someone, and you know that artists have a reciprocal thing going where the more enthusiastic the crowd is, the bigger the high they get, and this energy is transferred blah blah blah. Yet so many people stood still and whatnot. They wanted an encore, but then when he did one, they were pretty quiet. I don't think I really understand Austin show attending audiences, and the vague too-cool-for-school- or applause attitudes that seem to be everywhere. I also disliked the vast amount of his set that contains false endings (or dramatic pauses, whatever you call them.) These work well for drama when you are listening in your car, but at a live show, when absolutely everyone starts clapping and whooping and you then continue to finish the unfinished song, it ruins the effect somewhat, plus demonstrates that the crowd have not been listening to your songs at home.

Numan fans of all ages should go, though. I was thrilled.

An aside - what was the phone service where you could call and listen to a record - was it dial-a-disc? When "I Die You Die" came out, I called that line all day once when my mum was at work and listened to it over and over, with my legs swinging on the quite-tall phone table stool. When the bill came, my mother showed my the bill and asked who had called"Dial a Disc". I denied all knowledge. She led me upstairs, first into my room and pointed at all the posters of various popstars. "These are popstars", she said, and then we went next door into her bedroom and she pointed round the walls and said "there are no popstars here," and, in a crushing victory, reminded me that "only two of us live here."
I had to do extra paper rounds for a month :(
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Dec 2017, 08:28

Had been really looking forward to two gigs to wrap up the year, but both of them were cancelled due to illness - first The Fall and then Dinosaur Jr at the Roundhouse last week. Hope MES and J are doing ok. :(
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Dec 2017, 15:46

Whoever filmed this must have been just in front of us. You can hear me whooping and hollering.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Dec 2017, 21:34

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT NIGHT MIN

Dr Markus wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Dec 2017, 21:58

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A REALLY FUN TIME, MS. MINX!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Dec 2017, 00:58

I FUCKIN' DID!

Dr Markus wrote:

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 19 Dec 2017, 05:10

Minnie the Minx wrote:I FUCKIN' DID!

The missus and I went to see him do Pleasure Principle (plus) about a year and a half ago - he was pretty great, but for me the most remarkable thing was how utterly a) youthful, and b) "hunky"? (I mean, he generally looked like he'd be the fellow you'd want around to lift up the house if it ever fell on you) he seemed.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 19 Dec 2017, 06:29

Oh jolly good :D

So glad he did Down In The Park. Hoping he adds more dates for the tour next year as I can't manage the nearest , something else on.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 19 Dec 2017, 14:50

Tom Waits For No One wrote:The Unthanks with The Army Of Generals Paraorchestra, conducted by Charles Hazelwood last night at Chetham School Of Music in Manchester.

Folk music with an orchestra and occasional clogging.

Sublime.

We were at that too, the later show. Which one did you go to?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 19 Dec 2017, 20:52

Nick wrote:
Tom Waits For No One wrote:The Unthanks with The Army Of Generals Paraorchestra, conducted by Charles Hazelwood last night at Chetham School Of Music in Manchester.

Folk music with an orchestra and occasional clogging.

Sublime.

We were at that too, the later show. Which one did you go to?

We were at the early show. I hope the later show was every bit as wonderful as the first.
The version of Mount The Air was just incredible.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Dec 2017, 22:15

Belle Lettre wrote:

So glad he did Down In The Park. Hoping he adds more dates for the tour next year as I can't manage the nearest , something else on.

Take earplugs!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Dec 2017, 22:16

Bent Fabric wrote:

The missus and I went to see him do Pleasure Principle (plus) about a year and a half ago - he was pretty great, but for me the most remarkable thing was how utterly a) youthful, and b) "hunky"? (I mean, he generally looked like he'd be the fellow you'd want around to lift up the house if it ever fell on you) he seemed.

I think he has had quite a bit of facial work.

Dr Markus wrote:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 18 Jan 2018, 14:27

Fleet Foxes

Thought it might be too fey but it was way better than I expected. Unpretentious, fantastic tight harmony singing like the Everly Brothers or S&G and material reminiscent of Nick Drake and a band and vocals like the Moody Blues. 5 stars.
Last edited by Jimbo on 21 May 2018, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Jan 2018, 22:50

We're off to see The Dream Syndicate this evening. I'm pretty excited.

Dr Markus wrote:

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 16 Mar 2018, 23:27

Just finished seeing Gary Numan tonight.

HE WAS FUCKING AMAZING.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Mar 2018, 07:30

Saw four great show in 2018.
Joan Osborne and guests performed all Dylan songs. Great selection and great guests - Robert Randolph , Jackie green and the band did a killer watchtower. Also got to meet Joan after all these years.

Mew- never saw them before and they played the smaller but wonderful Carnegie hall recital hall. They have such a wonderful lush sound very well done and beautiful textures.

Andrew bird- never lets me down wonderful show

Reformed original lineup Dixie dregs. Saw them in 80 so never saw the original lineup. What an amazing show- Morse and the violin player killed it. Morgenstein killed it on drums. I love their fusion square dance stuff.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 16 May 2018, 08:32

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:

Take earplugs!

I’ve now obtained a pair of earplugs as a result of seeing him without earplugs a couple of months ago.

Anyway, last night- Wreckless Eric. Fucking amazing.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 May 2018, 09:15

Hugh wrote: last night- Wreckless Eric. Fucking amazing.

Listen to Hugh at this point.
Saw Eric in Manchester last week and he was a one man tsunami.

Still around in the UK for the next week or so.

Give your spleen a treat and go and see him.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 May 2018, 23:34

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Hugh wrote: last night- Wreckless Eric. Fucking amazing.

Listen to Hugh at this point.
Saw Eric in Manchester last week and he was a one man tsunami.

Still around in the UK for the next week or so.

Give your spleen a treat and go and see him.

Excellent! We are off to see him in a couple of weeks!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 May 2018, 23:35

Hugh wrote:Just finished seeing Gary Numan tonight.

HE WAS FUCKING AMAZING.

It was the last thing I expected (I don’t know why) but yeah he has been amazing live

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”