Rebel Without A Pause
17%
April Skies
12%

Total votes: 89

Rayge

Re: ten from 1987's Festive 50

Postby Rayge » 17 Dec 2017, 15:09

!!VAPRANT!! wrote:I'll give Yo La Tengo one more try, then.

Which two songs, Ray?

Er, two songs is a bit difficult John, as there really is a lot out there and it is very varied. From wikipedia:
As of 2016 the band has released fourteen studio albums, six compilation albums, fifteen extended plays, twenty two singles, two film score albums, four collaborative albums, and one album of cover songs.
I make it two albums of covers, but let it go. There are some astonishing variations in style within that too, especially considering that since 1993 they have been a bass-guitar-drums trio (although they can all play keyboards) with three song-writer vocalists
Unlike other VU-inspired bands (Ira, former rock critic, has always been in love with them, and I think YLT once played the VU in a movie set around the Warhol scene, helped by having a female drummer with wistful vocals) they have taken their cues from the third album and Loaded as well as ...and Nico and WLWH, so they do long noise jams, slightly twisted almost pop stuff and epic rockers, as well as having a sideline in ambient (their film score stuff is remarkable in places), some lightly jazzy pieces, delicately melodic summer pop material, covers of Sun Ra and ’60s garage bands and collaborations with lunatic fringe guys such as Daniel Johnston and Jad Fair. They stray close to prog territory on occasions, but they lack the essential 'look Ma no soul' self-indulgence. What they are, basically, are fans.
I think I'm going to start a thread, but in the meantime, here's a couple of samples. Blue Line Swinger is a wonderful exercise in building tension; I love to blast it as loud as it will go so that I can feel it churning in my ribcage. It takes tension and anger and dissonance and builds something beautiful out of it: my kind of song.

Tom Courtenay, on the other hand, is all about the anglophile and ’60s pop: apart from Georgia's vocals, it could be the TV Personalities

On the whole, I prefer the electric version, with Ira on lead vocals, but the only youtube I could find has 35 secs of crap at the beginning.
Last edited by Rayge on 17 Dec 2017, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Dec 2017, 15:11

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:
!!VAPRANT!! wrote:Nice to see some pro-SY comments, as sparse as they are. They made a special noise sometimes.

They were wonderful in the 80s and the 00s, although I went off them a bit in the Geffen years. They and Yo La Tengo have, between them, the greatest body of work of any American band in the last 30-odd years, maybe ever, but they get such short shrift on here.

BCB has made its position very clear on this and that should be respected and adhered to.
There'll be no revisionist championing of SY on my watch.

A) fuck off and mind your trousers, Gooner twat
B) any chance of you sorting out those two sub-forums so I can get stuck in to do some writing over the 'holidays'?

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Dec 2017, 15:15

Just start the threads here, for crying out loud.

Honestly - if BCB was on fire you two would put the kettle on
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Dec 2017, 15:21

!!VAPRANT!! wrote:Just start the threads here, for crying out loud.

Honestly - if BCB was on fire you two would put the kettle on

Sigh. You just don't understand the artistic temperament, do you?*
Although it seems you've nailed Moddie completely.

* I've been ill for the last two or three days, but I've already got one 'song' nearly done, and three 'Beyond the 130's in some stage of development, but be careful what you wish for, because I don't think you're going to like any of ’em. :)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Dec 2017, 15:45

Seriously - I just like to read people enthusing about favourite songs.

I thought we were all set to go with this thing...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Dec 2017, 16:02

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:
!!VAPRANT!! wrote:Nice to see some pro-SY comments, as sparse as they are. They made a special noise sometimes.

They were wonderful in the 80s and the 00s, although I went off them a bit in the Geffen years. They and Yo La Tengo have, between them, the greatest body of work of any American band in the last 30-odd years, maybe ever, but they get such short shrift on here.

BCB has made its position very clear on this and that should be respected and adhered to.

The only revisionism is from the whiners who never liked them.

And you know it!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Dec 2017, 17:03

Rayge wrote:
A) fuck off and mind your trousers, Gooner twat
B) any chance of you sorting out those two sub-forums so I can get stuck in to do some writing over the 'holidays'?

:o

Two? I will create a sub-forum for the 100 songs posts, but I'll wait until some have been posted and read in YY before moving them over, so it'll be more like an archive than a 'live' forum.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Dec 2017, 17:04

Still Baron wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:

The only revisionism is from the whiners who never liked them.

And you know it!

Revisionist!

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 17 Dec 2017, 17:22

Moddie is right for once. Let's leave it at that.
I run out of talent

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Dec 2017, 17:47

The Modernist wrote:Two?

I just noticed that my PM to you about this is still sitting in my outbox. Have a read, please.

I want to revive Beyond the BCB 130, and it serously needs its own sub-forum. There are dozens of entries already, scattered over a hundred or so pages of Yakety Yak. I will get cracking on some more, and maybe draft a few more people in when it gets sorted out, seeing what a wide range of oddballs have several fans here, according to pcqgod's thread.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Dec 2017, 18:40

what's happened to my 100 Songs thread?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Dec 2017, 19:55

!!VAPRANT!! wrote:what's happened to my 100 Songs thread?

Um, nothing?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136344

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Dec 2017, 00:57

I once ate 6 Mars Bars in half an hour
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Dec 2017, 23:35

Darryl Strawberry wrote:PE, Smiths, Sugarcubes.

Fucking love all three.

Same for me although I did come to love that SY song about a year later.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Dec 2017, 23:40

Sugarcubes were a lot of fun to discover in 1987. Tasty and refreshing. I was just starting to get tired of punk rock and they were a startling, pleasurable alternative.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 19 Dec 2017, 05:31

Public Enemy, Sonic Youth, The Sugarcubes.

Sister must be my favourite SY record, I play it the most. Birthday and Rebel sounded like nothing else that year.

Return to “Yakety Yak”