2. K-Tel
3. Goat Boy - Pretty Thing or Curator Of Butterflies by Big Big Train
4. K - P-Funk (Wants to get funked up)
5. JC - Contact / Worried Worried / Neurotic Reaction
6. Fish (Dark) - New Order's Temptation
7. Penk - Smear Truss (Yorick's Cock)
8. fange
9. tmm
10. Oscar - Maybe something from Lodger... or Shake Some Action by The Flamin' Groovies... who knows?
11. Hatz - "Train of Love" or "Faithful Departed" or something else entirely.
12. Osgood - Kinks' You Can't Stop the Music or something completely different
13. Bent Fabric
14. Copehead - Atmosphere or Upside Down, or perhaps both, confused as yet
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: BCB's 100 Songs - put yer names down/nominate!

Postby Moleskin » 04 Dec 2017, 15:50

I was looking forward to yours.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 04 Dec 2017, 15:53

Bloody hell - what is it now?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: BCB's 100 Songs

Postby The Modernist » 13 Dec 2017, 14:33

I fancy doing two, so I've added a second song.
I don't know how you propose to do this John, but I think it'd be cool if all these mini essays were in one thread and we can add to them whenever.
1. G -I am the Black Gold of the Sun
Everybody's Got Something to Hide, Except Me and my Monkey.
2. K-Tel
8. fange
9. tmm
10. Oscar - Maybe something from Lodger... or Shake Some Action by The Flamin' Groovies... who knows?
13. Bent Fabric
14. Copehead - Atmosphere or Upside Down, or perhaps both, confused as yet[/quote]

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 13 Dec 2017, 14:49

The Modernist wrote:I don't know how you propose to do this John, but I think it'd be cool if all these mini essays were in one thread and we can add to them whenever.

I was thinking of asking people to start separate threads, one per song. The threads would then be easier to locate. I think if we kept everything in one thread then the discussions would get mixed up.

But whatever - I’d just like someone to kick this off (as it now looks like everyone who’s interested has come forward). Are you ready to testify, Brother G?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Dec 2017, 15:01

2. K-Tel
8. fange
9. tmm
13. Bent Fabric
15. Gash - Egyptian Tomb
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Dec 2017, 15:19

!!VAPRANT!! wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I don't know how you propose to do this John, but I think it'd be cool if all these mini essays were in one thread and we can add to them whenever.

I was thinking of asking people to start separate threads, one per song. The threads would then be easier to locate. I think if we kept everything in one thread then the discussions would get mixed up.

But whatever - I’d just like someone to kick this off (as it now looks like everyone who’s interested has come forward). Are you ready to testify, Brother G?

Yeah, but - I'm aware this is your baby, so I don't want to impose my own ideas on you too much - I'd like you to reconsider the separate threads idea. My past experience of similar thread ideas, is that there is an initial enthusiasm with lots of replies, but after the first five or so, they just become another YY thread with a palpable decline of replies and interest. I think by keeping them in one thread, it's easier to keep the momentum going and they can be rebumped/added to/ referred to as a resource.. as needed
However, it's your shout obviously. What do others think?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 13 Dec 2017, 15:22

I think chaos is likely if we confine the various entries to a single thread.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Dec 2017, 15:32

Moleskin wrote:I was looking forward to yours.

Circumstances have changed

2. K-Tel
8. fange
9. tmm
13. Bent Fabric
15. Gash - Egyptian Tomb[/quote]
16. Rayge - the sort of US late 50s and 60s singles I like depending on how I feel at the time (nominations accepted): Jan & Dean, Everlys, Spector, Leiber-Stoller, girl groups, early (real ;) ) soul; album tracks by Love, Country Joe and the Fish and the Airplane, early Motown. I thought of a couple of dozen while I was writing that
17. Hipster Dawg - Dawg-related singles: first up How Much is that Doggie? by Baby Jane and the Rockabyes. Later, Old Tige
18. Dead Doris - up to the mid-50s, Frenesi, My Prayer, Jo Stafford's You Belong to Me, Ravens' White Christmas. And of course death records, Dead Man's Curve, I Can Never Go Home Any More, Last Kiss and worse.

Oh, and definitely one thread per song, then, if it catches on, collect in a sub-forum.
Last edited by Rayge on 13 Dec 2017, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Dec 2017, 15:32

Bent Fabric wrote:I think chaos is likely if we confine the various entries to a single thread.

Sure, but that's not a bad thing is it (within the context of a music forum, rather than say a book of essays)? it'll be lively and generate interest. You can always re-edit the main title to let people know the latest updates. You could also use the first post as an index to take people to the individual song entries.
There are many threads where you get multiple conversations going on. I just worry that with the suggested format they'll become like yer average YY thread -something you ignore if it doesn't fit with your own particular music tastes. But anyway that's my argument -obviously I'm happy to go with whatever John decides.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Dec 2017, 15:35

p.s. re: Rayge
I don't think the sub forums work. They just become graveyards that no one visits. Be honest when was the last time you visited or saw or posted in the BCB 100 artists or Film Club sub-forums?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 13 Dec 2017, 15:44

Maybe not make it a sub-forum but instead a separate section of the board like NDL, Screenadelica etc? Near the top like those and people would be sure to keep an eye on it.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 13 Dec 2017, 15:45

The Modernist wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:I think chaos is likely if we confine the various entries to a single thread.

Sure, but that's not a bad thing is it (within the context of a music forum, rather than say a book of essays)? it'll be lively and generate interest. You can always re-edit the main title to let people know the latest updates. You could also use the first post as an index to take people to the individual song entries.
There are many threads where you get multiple conversations going on. I just worry that with the suggested format they'll become like yer average YY thread -something you ignore if it doesn't fit with your own particular music tastes. But anyway that's my argument -obviously I'm happy to go with whatever John decides.

I get what you're saying, G - I think you're probably right that interest might wear off after the first few threads. But it'd be great if each threadstarter encourages dissent - people who dislike the song need to contribute with their reasons too. That way, momentum is kept up and the threads will be more interesting to read. It's not going to be much fun if people just agree with the OP. There'd be no point to this thing at all, in fact!

I don't see how this could work if everything's in one thread and someone wants to chime in with a point about a song that was mentioned earlier - they'd have to remind people which song they're referring to, which is kind of a pain.

Twang

Postby Twang » 13 Dec 2017, 15:46

I'll contribute one

Everybody's Got Something to Hide, Except Me and my Monkey.
2. K-Tel
8. fange
9. tmm
13. Bent Fabric
15. Gash - Egyptian Tomb[/quote]
16. Rayge - the sort of US late 50s and 60s singles I like depending on how I feel at the time (nominations accepted): Jan & Dean, Everlys, Spector, Leiber-Stoller, girl groups, early (real ;) ) soul; album tracks by Love, Country Joe and the Fish and the Airplane, early Motown. I thought of a couple of dozen while I was writing that
17. Hipster Dawg - Dawg-related singles: first up How Much is that Doggie? by Baby Jane and the Rockabyes. Later, Old Tige
18. Dead Doris - up to the mid-50s, Frenesi, My Prayer, Jo Stafford's You Belong to Me, Ravens' White Christmas. And of course death records, Dead Man's Curve, I Can Never Go Home Any More, Last Kiss and worse.
19. Twang

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Dec 2017, 15:48

The Modernist wrote:p.s. re: Rayge
I don't think the sub forums work. They just become graveyards that no one visits. Be honest when was the last time you visited or saw or posted in the BCB 100 artists or Film Club sub-forums?

The latter never, because I'm not interested, the BCB 100 when I was sort of dealing with the Beyond the 130 that eventually fell apart because, despite several admittedly rather diffident and tangential requests, no admin would make a sub-forum so they could be found.

And this project, like that one, is one to which I'd like to return on an irregular basis, and finding individual threads in YY, even for one such as I who has mastered the search function, is a tedious business.

I take some of your points about putting everything together in one thread to stimulate discussion and indeed obfuscation, but I see this idea primarily as a means of showing off my madskillz as a writer, and seeing if I can get a few people to hear what I do in old (often very old) favourites, rather than 'debating' with tasteless gobshites :)
;)
:|

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Dec 2017, 15:52

Okay -some good arguments have been put forward. Let's roll with it (I nominate that song for Penk btw, you can start with the Oasis soup joke)). I'm happy to create a subforum.
I'll kick off with a post later then John if that's okay with you.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Dec 2017, 15:59

I also think we should actively pm some people to get them involved. It could be a great way of reinvigorating YY.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 13 Dec 2017, 16:28

The Modernist wrote:Okay -some good arguments have been put forward. Let's roll with it (I nominate that song for Penk btw, you can start with the Oasis soup joke)). I'm happy to create a subforum.
I'll kick off with a post later then John if that's okay with you.

Yes - I'm looking forward to it!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Dec 2017, 01:06

REALLY looking forward to it! ;)

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 14 Dec 2017, 01:12

Picked a song for me, JC?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Yakety Yak”