The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Do talk back
Six String

Re: The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Postby Six String » 02 Oct 2017, 05:29

I already bought the complete set. I won't be buying another one.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Oct 2017, 09:24

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Mick Rickenbacker wrote:Ah, shit.

Thanks anyway C. I'll just have to hope Criterion UK release a European version.

ps3 and ps4 will play any region DVD 's and bluray.

:?
I don't think that's correct, J. I'm 99% sure it has the same region lock and quick google back me up on that, eg, this post
Fun fact: the PS4 is NOT region free

It is not region free for DVD/Blu-rays and it is not region free for games. It's the games themselves that are region free. The PS4 would still honor region locks for both games and movies if it's intended to be region locked.

And yes, Sony has said that region locking for games CAN exist and it's up to the publisher/developer.

thanks for that. I must have imagined playing US dvds and blurays on the ps3 in my house. just checked, no I didn't imagine it. Bluray of Dr Strangelove and DVD set of Monterey Pop ( both kindly supplied by the very generous Matt Wilson) both play on the ps3 and my son plays movies bought on holiday in the States on his ps4.

We'll meet again don't know wh.......
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Oct 2017, 13:08

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Though Dr Strangelove seems to be region free... (Or at least the first version I found was)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Strangelove ... B0036VCJ36

this isnt one Matt sent me.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Oct 2017, 13:35

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Well colour me confused. Everything I have read other than your posts points to a region lock. You have no reason to lie... I'd just want to read it officially before buying a region 2 disc, for example.

"you have no reason to lie". Thanks for the ringing endorsement

region 2 is the UK.

region 1 is usa.

let's leave it here.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 02 Oct 2017, 17:29

Back to the bonus material... it's possible that they may take whatever stray footage they have and add it to a fully-recorded song that was missing a few filmed moments. The Byrds' Chimes Of Freedom is like this: a nighttime performance that begins with 10 seconds of daytime footage on the campgrounds. And maybe they'll sharpen some of the editing they hoped no one would notice (there are very few moments of sloppy editing, but I caught a few, notably on the Who outtakes.) So maybe they decided to raid the vaults and get it all out while people still care.

But then there's the claim of "just about two hours" of outtakes when there are 112 minutes already available, so who knows what's left. We have only three Jefferson Airplane songs and three by Simon & Garfunkel, nothing else? No more backstage or hotel footage? Not only was there a lot of jamming going on in the hotels over the weekend, but there were plenty of people who stuck around for a few days and kept it going. Pictures Of Lily was filmed, so that will probably be added. We all thought Happy Jack wasn't filmed, but if Adler himself didn't remember that the Grape were filmed at all, there may be some surprises. I'll be interested in seeing what pans out.

"Quite."

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2017, 23:12

If it does have Moby Grape, and one or two additional Who performances, I will buy this one. I still consider it a "hole" in my Who collection. I have really enjoyed the complete Jimi and Otis sets too.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Oct 2017, 01:37

For UK customers, very good deal here
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 11 Nov 2017, 13:02

Just ordered.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 11 Nov 2017, 19:07

As mentioned above, I have written TWICE to Criterion, asking for details of the differences (if any) between the two sets. It's been weeks since the last time, and still no answer.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Nov 2017, 19:25

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Just ordered.

Did you ever get a blu ray player, or are you sticking with DVD?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 11 Nov 2017, 19:30

I've had a Blu-ray player for a year now, Matt.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Nov 2017, 23:11

Oh, that's right - it was a region free player you were asking about. Ever get one?

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 10 Dec 2017, 19:30

Finally -- after two unanswered missives to Criterion, I asked professional reviewer Glenn Erickson to ask them how the hell the new edition is different from the old. He got an answer. No new performances, but a separate and unrelated short is included to further encourage us to throw out out earlier Blu-rays.

Criterion surprised us a few months back with a marvelous disc of Festival: Folk Music at Newport 1963-1966, a wonderful vintage concert film. Now they’ve doubled back to their previous The Complete Monterey Pop Festival. Their original DVD hails from 2002, and an earlier Blu-ray arrived in 2009. Given a complete remaster, it’s surfaced again looking and sounding better than ever.
Last edited by Muskrat on 10 Dec 2017, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Dec 2017, 19:32

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 11 Dec 2017, 08:54

The guy in that clip mentions the Dead, the Grape and Steve Miller when he flips open up the booklet, but I think it's more that he just saw some random notes in the booklet, or maybe a listing of all the bands that played. Because the box doesn't mention them, and on the Amazon page all three acts are left out of the list (and at least one customer review mentions that they're not included). And yes, Todd, I saw your post. :D So I guess that someone at Criterion needs to update their website, because this is just the same music that came out on the previous set. I like the outtakes disc better than the original film!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Dec 2017, 15:50

Yep, the only things which are different are the inclusion of a film which was shown with Monterey Pop, and the update of picture quality/sound. Some new interviews too, I think.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 11 Dec 2017, 17:48

zoomboogity wrote: I like the outtakes disc better than the original film!

Why Concert for George is my favorite concert documentary: you can watch the film, or -- on another disc -- you can watch the damned show, sans interruption (and, credit where due, context).

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 11 Dec 2017, 20:34

Another review of the new set; more complete than the one i originally posted.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 12 Dec 2017, 21:04

I want to know what Coan thought of the film!

I bought the first Criterion release a couple years ago (minus the complete Otis and Jimi sets) and watched it for the first time then. I thought half of it was some of the most dreadfully boring shit I have ever seen, and I like a lot of Pennebaker's stuff!

Granted, I think the Mamas and the Papas are pretty much the worst.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 12 Dec 2017, 21:47

nathan wrote:Granted, I think the Mamas and the Papas are pretty much the worst.

Their set was released as an album, too. Excruciating, and I'm a major fan. I realize that John Phillips was a co-founder of the Festival, but I'd have thought he'd have had more respect for the group's reputation.

Return to “Yakety Yak”