Link (a BCB game!)

Do talk back
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Link (a BCB game!)

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2017, 09:32

Link the following in as fewer moves as possible. Kind of like the Kevin Bacon game.
I don't have answers for these btw, it's just a bit of fun to see how we can do..
Choose as many or as few as you want.

Mike Nesmith - Martin Fry
Linda Ronstadt - Captain Sensible
Abba - Elliot Smith
Neneh Cherry - Neil Young
The Prodigy - The Kinks
Terry Callier- Bon Jovi

Some of these are pretty tough, but have a go!

Darkness_Fish

Re: Link (a BCB game!)

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Dec 2017, 10:41

Ooh, I was thinking about doing this. How close does the link have to be, I mean, is Sheffield a good enough link for Martin Fry to Jarvis Cocker (for example) or do they have to have worked/recorded together?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 06 Dec 2017, 10:44

Yeah, good game - I've been looking at the Linda Ronstadt - Captain Sensible one. Tricky.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Dec 2017, 10:46

Thang-y wrote: I've been looking at the Linda Ronstadt - Captain Sensible one. Tricky.

Is that the link? They both recorded with Tricky? :P
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 06 Dec 2017, 10:58

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Thang-y wrote: I've been looking at the Linda Ronstadt - Captain Sensible one. Tricky.

Is that the link? They both recorded with Tricky? :P

Just wait till I'm familiar enough to give you a cyber clip around the year, that man.

(Actually a Tricky/Ronstadt collaboration is one I'd want to listen to.)

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Dec 2017, 11:49

Nesmith to Fry:
Nesmith played a waiter in Tapeheads, starring John Cusack, who was in Con Air with Nic Cage, who starred in Face/Off, who's Score Producer was Hans Zimmer, who was the second keyboardist in the Buggles video for "Video killed the radio star", written by Trevor Horn, who produced 'The Lexicon of Love' by ABC featuring Martin Fry....

Decided to add an all music one for this...:
Nesmith was in the Monkees, who's Album 'Head' was co-produced by Gerry Goffin, who co-wrote "Theme from Mahogany" sung by Diana Ross, who's band The Supremes had two albums produced by Smokey Robinson, the subject of the song "When Smokey sings" by ABC featuring Martin Fry...
Last edited by Dayodead on 06 Dec 2017, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Dec 2017, 11:50

Cherry to Young:

Neneh Cherry is the step-daughter of Don Cherry, who played on the Album 'The Bells' by Lou Reed, who had a cameo in the film 'Faraway, so close' by Wim Wenders, who directed the film 'Until the end of the world', who's Cinematographer was Robert Muller, who was the DP on Jim Jarmusch film 'Dead Man', who's soundtrack was done by Neil Young...
Last edited by Dayodead on 06 Dec 2017, 12:38, edited 2 times in total.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Dec 2017, 11:51

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2017, 12:03

Dayodead wrote:Nesmith to Fry:
Nesmith played a waiter in Tapeheads, starring John Cusack, who was in Con Air with Nic Cage, who starred in Face/Off, who's Score Producer was Hans Zimmer, who was the second keyboardist in the Buggles video for "Video killed the radio star", written by Trevor Horn, who produced 'The Lexicon of Love' by ABC featuring Martin Fry....

Brilliant. I'm impressed!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Dec 2017, 12:08

Dayodead wrote:Hans Zimmer, who was the second keyboardist in the Buggles video for "Video killed the radio star

Eh? :shock:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Dec 2017, 12:22

The Great Defector wrote:
Dayodead wrote:Hans Zimmer, who was the second keyboardist in the Buggles video for "Video killed the radio star

yup...on imdb he's credited as being the second keyboardist in the video...

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 06 Dec 2017, 12:25

Linda Ronstadt recorded Elvis Costello’s song, Alison. Costello included The Dammed’s Neat, Neat, Neat in early live shows with The Attractions. Captain Sensible played bass on the Damned’s recording of Neat, Neat, Neat.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Dec 2017, 12:50

Dayodead wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

yup...on imdb he's credited as being the second keyboardist in the video...

*In a Billy Connelly voice*

Fuck me.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Dec 2017, 12:56

The Prodigy’s song ’Diesel Power’ featured Kool Keith, who has often worked under his various names with producer Dan the Automator. Dan the A is part of Gorillaz with Damon Albarn, who performed a version of ’Waterloo Sunset’ together with Ray Davies live on Channel 4’s The White Room.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 06 Dec 2017, 12:58

Nenah Cherry’s stepdad, Don Cherry, played on Carla Bley’s Escalator Over The Hill album, which also featured Linda Ronstadt. Linda sang back up on Neil Young’s Heatr Of Gold.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 06 Dec 2017, 13:02

Hugh wrote:Nenah Cherry’s stepdad, Don Cherry, played on Carla Bley’s Escalator Over The Hill album, which also featured Linda Ronstadt. Linda sang back up on Neil Young’s Heatr Of Gold.

Good job...Beat mine soundly....

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Dec 2017, 13:11

The musical Mamma Mia is based around the songs of Abba. The film version starred Stellan Skarsgård, who was also in Good Will Hunting. The soundtrack of that film featured the Oscar-nominated song ’Miss Misery’ - by Elliott Smith.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Dec 2017, 13:11

And, er, Terry Callier was reportedly the inspiration for Tommy in ’Livin’ on a Prayer’.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2017, 14:58

PENK wrote:And, er, Terry Callier was reportedly the inspiration for Tommy in ’Livin’ on a Prayer’.

You're just being silly now. Although it is true the cowboy in "Wanted Dead or Alive" was based on Al Green.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Dec 2017, 17:07

Hugh wrote:Linda Ronstadt recorded Elvis Costello’s song, Alison. Costello included The Dammed’s Neat, Neat, Neat in early live shows with The Attractions. Captain Sensible played bass on the Damned’s recording of Neat, Neat, Neat.

Alternate for the second link: Costello's "Alison" was produced by Nick Lowe, who also produced The Damned's first records.

Return to “Yakety Yak”