The Wire's Top 15 of 2017

Do talk back
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: The Wire's Top 15 of 2017

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Dec 2017, 22:31

Anybody wanna sweat together?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 05 Dec 2017, 22:35

PENK wrote:. Both publications are aimed towards underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music and its listeners. That stuff isn't for everyone and Lord knows there's a lot of it I think is crap or that isn't to my taste, but I'm glad people are out there trying to do new things and not just rehashing records we already know and love.

Yessirree bob. I cast a lazy eye over The Quietus and Wire lists each year, knowing I'll only dig into a fraction of it but glad that der kids are exploring new weirder stuff and not just buying a thirty buck copy of Rumours vinyls (sic). I have the same opinion of metal...it's mostly not for me but good on those who dig deep into it.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Dec 2017, 22:35

The thing that puts me off in that Quietus list are the number of indie twats of the past (I Ludicrous, Thurston, Vega, Bug, Godflesh.....) that infest the thing and suggest what the rest of it might be like. I find it a bit Sounds gone sour.

Having said that I’m glad people are carving their own paths, right? Even if you’re all treading in shit!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Dec 2017, 22:36

That Thurston Moore record got a lot of good reviews. I listened to a bit of it and it just sounded like filler from one of the more recent SY records (which I quite like).
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Dec 2017, 22:37

kewl klive wrote:The thing that puts me off in that Quietus list are the number of indie twats of the past (I Ludicrous, Thurston, Vega, Bug, Godflesh.....) that infest the thing and suggest what the rest of it might be like. I find it a bit Sounds gone sour.

They're also overly fond of turgid aggro things with "post-" in the genre name.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 05 Dec 2017, 22:38

PENK wrote:That Thurston Moore record got a lot of good reviews. I listened to a bit of it and it just sounded like filler from one of the more recent SY records (which I quite like).

Agreed. I'm not sold on that last Alan Vega record either. Love the guy's work but lets not let hero worship get in the way of an accurate review.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Dec 2017, 22:40

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 05 Dec 2017, 22:41

PENK wrote:
kewl klive wrote:The thing that puts me off in that Quietus list are the number of indie twats of the past (I Ludicrous, Thurston, Vega, Bug, Godflesh.....) that infest the thing and suggest what the rest of it might be like. I find it a bit Sounds gone sour.

They're also overly fond of turgid aggro things with "post-" in the genre name.

"Sounds Gone Sour" is not a bad description. I think the music they're choosing fits with their political outlook too, which is obviously fairly dark these days. I do like their commitment to featuring bands from regional areas and not just the usual capital cities.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Dec 2017, 22:46

Goat Boy wrote:

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Dec 2017, 00:32

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Oooo Industrial hip hop and steelyard techno!

Put the Chi-Lites on ffs

Totally agree. I have this weird sense that none of the "winners" listed here produced anything of value that actually has referents in the real. outside, physical and emotional world at large.

This stuff is for people trying hard to define their particular and unique identity, that makes them irreplaceable. Thing is: they were and are and will be irreplaceable, from the day they were conceived up to the day that they will die, and thereafter. Question is: do they see that themselves?

I see sadness, numbness, and isolation, with, it must be said, a deep need to be human.

It's not surprising that this stuff is held dear in a world where all social structures seem to have been successfully destroyed.

My reply:

put on a Atlantic Records album with all the hits and ballads. Dance your collective asses off. Sweat, sweat, until your dodgy Axe deos have stopped working. Lay off your asanine docile daily attitude. Find a boy or girl that you like. Make more sweat. Decide to skip work tomorrow, whatever the cost. Go somewhere together, as a pair. Have wonderful sex. Smell each other, the bodily odours. Shower together.

In two words: be human.

Were you born this patronising or did you have to work on? Jesus fucking christ, no wonder I don't visit this place much.

PENK wrote:I've heard a few things off both lists. Liked a handful (I actually rated the Jlin that driftin slags off above, and quite liked the Actress too though it's not his best work), not liked others (the Wire number one was a mess of annoying, dated or plain boring sounds). I might check out a few more.

I think it's fine that they are putting these lists there. Both publications are aimed towards underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music and its listeners. That stuff isn't for everyone and Lord knows there's a lot of it I think is crap or that isn't to my taste, but I'm glad people are out there trying to do new things and not just rehashing records we already know and love.

Now look at that. Someone who can accept a bit of difference to their own taste without jumping to conclusions.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Dec 2017, 00:49

PENK wrote:Both publications are aimed towards underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music and its listeners. That stuff isn't for everyone and Lord knows there's a lot of it I think is crap or that isn't to my taste, but I'm glad people are out there trying to do new things and not just rehashing records we already know and love.

Of course! I don’t have the taste for this sort of thing I did when I was younger, but I buy a copy or two of the Wire every year and always find something new that I like (but not much more).
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Dec 2017, 00:52

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Oooo Industrial hip hop and steelyard techno!

Put the Chi-Lites on ffs

Totally agree. I have this weird sense that none of the "winners" listed here produced anything of value that actually has referents in the real. outside, physical and emotional world at large.

This stuff is for people trying hard to define their particular and unique identity, that makes them irreplaceable. Thing is: they were and are and will be irreplaceable, from the day they were conceived up to the day that they will die, and thereafter. Question is: do they see that themselves?

I see sadness, numbness, and isolation, with, it must be said, a deep need to be human.

It's not surprising that this stuff is held dear in a world where all social structures seem to have been successfully destroyed.

My reply:

put on a Atlantic Records album with all the hits and ballads. Dance your collective asses off. Sweat, sweat, until your dodgy Axe deos have stopped working. Lay off your asanine docile daily attitude. Find a boy or girl that you like. Make more sweat. Decide to skip work tomorrow, whatever the cost. Go somewhere together, as a pair. Have wonderful sex. Smell each other, the bodily odours. Shower together.

In two words: be human.

Yeah, I'm sure that everyone who isn't like you or isn't into the music you dig is either less of a human or a virgin. How convenient that every listener should be as easily tagged and pigeonholed. That's not an utterly fuckwitted worldview at all.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 06 Dec 2017, 01:15

Giving Chino Amobi a chance and enjoying it thus far. I'm still on the fence with Richard Dawson even though there's some nice melodies there.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Dec 2017, 03:19

PENK wrote:I've heard a few things off both lists. Liked a handful (I actually rated the Jlin that driftin slags off above, and quite liked the Actress too though it's not his best work), not liked others (the Wire number one was a mess of annoying, dated or plain boring sounds). I might check out a few more.

I think it's fine that they are putting these lists there. Both publications are aimed towards underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music and its listeners. That stuff isn't for everyone and Lord knows there's a lot of it I think is crap or that isn't to my taste, but I'm glad people are out there trying to do new things and not just rehashing records we already know and love.

Same here. For me the problem is that in 2017 rehashing underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music is becoming just as commonplace as any other kinds of music.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Dec 2017, 08:25

fange wrote:Same here. For me the problem is that in 2017 rehashing underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music is becoming just as commonplace as any other kinds of music.

That's a good thing though. Most of that Wire list isn't trying to be particularly boundary pushing, it's largely just people doing something slightly different to the mainstream. The music exists largely for the same purpose as the music everyone else listens to. To dance, think about, raise emotions, and smell bodily odour to.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Dec 2017, 09:00

Darkness_Fish wrote:
fange wrote:Same here. For me the problem is that in 2017 rehashing underground, boundary-pushing, experimental or avant-garde music is becoming just as commonplace as any other kinds of music.

That's a good thing though. Most of that Wire list isn't trying to be particularly boundary pushing, it's largely just people doing something slightly different to the mainstream. The music exists largely for the same purpose as the music everyone else listens to. To dance, think about, raise emotions, and smell bodily odour to.

You first, D_F. :)

Is it a good thing? Sure; any new music which you can enjoy will always be a good thing. It's the 'you can enjoy' part which is key though - i've tried out a dozen or so of the records on the Quietus list, none of which i've enjoyed as much as the new Curtis Harding or Thundercat albums. Different strokes and all that.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2017, 12:34

I started on the Wire list this morning. The Bill Orcutt album didn't do anything for me - a sort of rageful John Fahey without any of the fragility.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Dec 2017, 13:19

The Jane Weaver record is BCB friendly.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Dec 2017, 12:37

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 10 Dec 2017, 10:41

I'm really enjoying the Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith record. Bubbly and psychedelic.

Return to “Yakety Yak”