Uncut's Best Reissues 2017

Do talk back
Pool Hall Richard

Re: Uncut's Best Reissues 2017

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Nov 2017, 22:23

toomanyhatz wrote:They will probably skip Let it Be, though.

No, plenty of good stuff there, jeez, just let the guys over on hoffmans select the tracklisting. Then add a bluray of the movie with extra's.

It might just happen. Save Apple a hell of a lot of time, expense and research, there's fans over there who'll sort it.

There's too much available that's been bootlegged (especially when you get to the Hard Days Night era,) to resist cashing in on the big box treatment.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Nov 2017, 22:46

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:They will probably skip Let it Be, though.

No, plenty of good stuff there, jeez, just let the guys over on hoffmans select the tracklisting. Then add a bluray of the movie with extra's.

It might just happen. Save Apple a hell of a lot of time, expense and research, there's fans over there who'll sort it.

There's too much available that's been bootlegged (especially when you get to the Hard Days Night era,) to resist cashing in on the big box treatment.

Oh, I'm not denying that makes total sense. But the surviving members and spouses have never shown any interest in showing them in what they (probably rightly) feel is not the best light. I'm just betting that they'll keep that up. I mean, every other film has been re-released and celebrated multiple times. I think they want to pretend LiB never existed.

I could be wrong about any of this stuff, of course, but considering they've had 40+ years already...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Nov 2017, 22:50

Didn’t we just pass the MMT 50th Anniversary or something?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 30 Nov 2017, 06:28

Still Baron wrote:Didn’t we just pass the MMT 50th Anniversary or something?

Yeah Uncut celebrated with a cover feature story about MMT but I guess Sgt Pepper took all the focus this year.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 30 Nov 2017, 07:15

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:

Yeah Uncut celebrated with a cover feature story about MMT but I guess Sgt Pepper took all the focus this year.

You'd think they'd have let Giles Martin do his thing with MMT too for this Christmas.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Nov 2017, 15:16

37 pages of White Album super deluxe speculation.........

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... 71/page-37

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Nov 2017, 15:18

Moleskin wrote:
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:

You'd think they'd have let Giles Martin do his thing with MMT too for this Christmas.

Too much for 1 year, the promotion etc. And Apple only usually do one reissue per year so that might come at some point. White Album SDE is a definite possibility for 2018.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 30 Nov 2017, 15:49

Well, they have managed two this year. Pepper and now the Christmas Fan Club singles.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Nov 2017, 21:59

Moleskin wrote:Well, they have managed two this year. Pepper and now the Christmas Fan Club singles.

True that, very true. Not such a major release, havent seen the usual fanfare, BBC documentaries etc. An easy release. An SDE of any of the albums would be a big deal.

Lets see next year.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Nov 2017, 22:01

Forgot about number 11 - OK Computer. Picked up the triple vinyl of that one, very good.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 03 Dec 2017, 23:32

And this is Mojo's 2017 reissues list

01. Alice Coltrane – The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda
02. Lal & Mike Waterson – Bright Phoebus
03. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
04. Yoko Ono – reissues
05. Neil Young – Hitchhiker
06. David Bowie – A New Career in a New Town
07. Hüsker Dü – Savage Young Dü
08. Brian Eno – half-speed reissues
09. Can – The Singles
10. Bob Dylan – Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13, 1979–1981
11. Various – Cerebral Sounds of Brain Records
12. Gene Clark – The Lost Studio Sessions
13. The Necessaries – Event Horizon
14. Thelonious Monk – Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960
15. Radiohead – OKNOTOK
16. Jackie Shane – Any Other Way
17. The Congos – Heart of the Congos
18. Various – Pop Makossa: The Invasive Dance Beat of Cameroon 1976–1984
19. The Creation – Action Painting
20. The Jam – 1977

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Dec 2017, 23:51

toomanyhatz wrote:
Moleskin wrote:Not sure there'll be a White Album reissue. They haven't done any of the other LPs. :(

There was - sort of - for MMT (movie and original EP in one package).

I'd be VERY surprised if there weren't 50-year anniversary packages for both the White Album and Abbey Road. Just hope they don't botch it. In my imagination, they'll officially release ALL the home demos for the White Album, along with outtakes. Shouldn't have any problem filling up 6 discs. Abbey Road will be a bit harder, but maybe some 'immersion' stuff like they did for Peppers. I agree with PHR that Peppers wasn't all that interesting, but the White Album in theory could be. Those demos are great.

They will probably skip Let it Be, though.

White Album set is in production. Giles mentioned it recently. The fact that the original record comprises approximately half a year's work (several outtakes, re-arrangements, extensive set of demos, "bits and pieces reel", etc.) makes it something of a tantalizing prospect. To whatever extent they may "botch it", that's a lot of previously un-documented/upgraded material.

I was perfectly happy to get two extra discs of new Pepper ephemera (surely two more would have been even better) half a year ago, but...I can't imagine most folks are dying to hear the sausage being made (and, yes - seriously, "Carnival of Light" belongs nowhere if not in that collection).

As for Let it Be, much as it probably isn't their favorite version of themselves, I feel like the opportunity to finally release the film as part of a 50th anniversary package including a repro of the original UK LP box/booklet (never seen one of those fuckers in my life, you know...)...a nice big ticket item for "their base"...not doing it probably looks a lot like leaving money lying on the table.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 04 Dec 2017, 16:10

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Sunshine Tomorrow is the big surprise reissue for me -

it's so far removed from a mere archival thingy.

I am looking forward to more copyright-expiration-related stuff form the band. After all, around the time of Friends, the band recorded much more stuff - as legend has it. Heck, they could deliver such goodies for every year up to 2027 (when Love You will hit 50).

more 1967 stuff being released on Friday it would seem....
a studio release of the Smiley Smile/Lei'd in Hawaii/Wild Honey sessions,
and a live recording release from multiple shows throughout the year.
I approve. :ugeek:

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 05 Dec 2017, 01:47

The choices get a little more left field on this reissues list from Norman Records. What I know of this list I like, including Terry Riley, Grandaddy, Nino Nardini, Maximum Joy, Clipse, Disco Inferno, and the amazing Pastor TL Barrett & the Youth For Christ Choir.

'Hex' by Bark Psychosis takes out number #1...

https://www.normanrecords.com/features/ ... w=reissues

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 05 Dec 2017, 11:52

rorebhoy wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Sunshine Tomorrow is the big surprise reissue for me -

it's so far removed from a mere archival thingy.

I am looking forward to more copyright-expiration-related stuff form the band. After all, around the time of Friends, the band recorded much more stuff - as legend has it. Heck, they could deliver such goodies for every year up to 2027 (when Love You will hit 50).

more 1967 stuff being released on Friday it would seem....
a studio release of the Smiley Smile/Lei'd in Hawaii/Wild Honey sessions,
and a live recording release from multiple shows throughout the year.
I approve. :ugeek:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing. Announced at a very short notice, no Dutch release date so far. Here's info (the poster named Yrplace actually is engineer/producer Mark Linett):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/ ... 48.25.html
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 05 Dec 2017, 11:53

...and thanks, I didn't know about this!

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 05 Dec 2017, 20:00

toomanyhatz wrote:
Moleskin wrote:Not sure there'll be a White Album reissue. They haven't done any of the other LPs. :(

I'd be VERY surprised if there weren't 50-year anniversary packages for both the White Album and Abbey Road. Just hope they don't botch it. In my imagination, they'll officially release ALL the home demos for the White Album, along with outtakes. Shouldn't have any problem filling up 6 discs. Abbey Road will be a bit harder, but maybe some 'immersion' stuff like they did for Peppers. I agree with PHR that Peppers wasn't all that interesting, but the White Album in theory could be. Those demos are great.

The Hoffmen have a long thread about the potential of a White Album 50th anniversary edition if you want to lose the will to live.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 05 Dec 2017, 20:02

John aka Josh wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

The Hoffmen have a long thread about the potential of a White Album 50th anniversary edition if you want to lose the will to live.

:lol:

I never get tired of this type of joke...

...sometimes the Hoffmen's deliberations and internecine warfares read like something the CIA cooked up to torture people.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Dec 2017, 21:34

All of the lists linked so far omit the mono One Nation Underground by Pearls Before Swine and Nick Lowe’s Pinker And Prouder Than Previous, so the hell with ‘em.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 05 Dec 2017, 22:19

Charlie O. wrote:All of the lists linked so far omit the mono One Nation Underground by Pearls Before Swine and Nick Lowe’s Pinker And Prouder Than Previous, so the hell with ‘em.

The voice of the older, working gent.

I like that!

Return to “Yakety Yak”