Uncut's Best Reissues 2017

Do talk back
Ghost of Harry Smith

Uncut's Best Reissues 2017

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 29 Nov 2017, 01:54

Here's Uncut's Top 30 of best archival releases and reissues for 2017. What do we think? Any omissions you'd want to fight for? Any other 2017 reissue lists out there that are better than this? Please post links here if so.

01. Neil Young – Hitchhiker
02. Lal & Mike Waterson – Bright Phoebus
03. Alice Coltrane – The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda
04. David Bowie – A New Career in a New Town (1977–1982)
05. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: Super Deluxe Edition
06. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Lovely Creatures: Best of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds 1984–2014
07. Brian Eno – Before and After Science
08. Prince – Purple Rain Deluxe
09. The Grateful Dead – Cornell 5/8/77
10. Elliott Smith – Either/Or: Expanded Edition
11. Radiohead – OKNOTOK
12. Hüsker Dü – Savage Young Dü
13. Bark Psychosis – Hex
14. Johnny Cash – The Original Sun Albums 1957–64
15. Can – The Singles
16. The Necessaries – Event Horizon
17. Acetone – 1992–2001
18. Beach Boys – 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow
19. Buzzcocks – Buzzcocks (Mk 1) Box
20. Various – Running the Voodoo Down: Explorations in Psychrockfunksouljazz 1967–80
21. Midori Takada – Through the Looking Glass
22. Tony Conrad – Ten Years Alive on the Infinite Plain
23. Various – Soul of a Nation
24. The Smiths – The Queen is Dead deluxe
25. Underworld – Beaucoup Fish
26. Lift To Experience – The Texas–Jerusalem Crossroads
27. Jon Hassell – Fourth World Volume Two: Dream Theory in Malaya
28. Ramones – Leave Home: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
29. The Replacements – For Sale: Live at Maxwell's 1986
30. Super Furry Animals – Radiator

Dayodead

Re: Uncut's Best Reissues 2017

Postby Dayodead » 29 Nov 2017, 02:33

I've got The Purple Rain, Savage Young Du and The Queen is Dead releases and they are quite good....And while I'm happy a good little Slowcore band like Acetone get new exposure, I've heard the set doesn't really choose the correct songs...Might have been better served to have a boxset similar to the one put out for Bedhead (A similar slowcore band), which basically put everything they did in one nice package...

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 29 Nov 2017, 06:38

Yes that Acetone set has 9 unreleased tracks and then 7 songs that are previously-released fan favourites. That's an odd combination. I will get this album eventually but this year have been well served by mp3 copies of their back catalogue of strong LPs and interesting EPs.

I would pick Lal & Mike Waterson over Neil Young for #1, I bought the Bright Phoebus 2LP version this year and it was a revelation.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Nov 2017, 08:58

Not much there that's too interesting to me, though the obvious stand-out is Alice Coltrane featuring so highly. Have to applaud that. Bark Psychosis is a strange one, I don't know if that album's reputation stands through the coinage of post-rock as a term, because I find it very wearying and dull.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 29 Nov 2017, 13:52

Sunshine Tomorrow is the big surprise reissue for me -

it's so far removed from a mere archival thingy.

I am looking forward to more copyright-expiration-related stuff form the band. After all, around the time of Friends, the band recorded much more stuff - as legend has it. Heck, they could deliver such goodies for every year up to 2027 (when Love You will hit 50).
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 29 Nov 2017, 15:13

I've picked up the highlighted ones. They're all good but like all reissues, if you already have the original (e.g. those in italics), it depends how much you need those improved remasters or those scratchy demos (which, in the main, is not really).

01. Neil Young – Hitchhiker
02. Lal & Mike Waterson – Bright Phoebus
03. Alice Coltrane – The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda
04. David Bowie – A New Career in a New Town (1977–1982)
05. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: Super Deluxe Edition
06. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Lovely Creatures: Best of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds 1984–2014

07. Brian Eno – Before and After Science
08. Prince – Purple Rain Deluxe

09. The Grateful Dead – Cornell 5/8/77
10. Elliott Smith – Either/Or: Expanded Edition
11. Radiohead – OKNOTOK

12. Hüsker Dü – Savage Young Dü
13. Bark Psychosis – Hex
14. Johnny Cash – The Original Sun Albums 1957–64
15. Can – The Singles
16. The Necessaries – Event Horizon
17. Acetone – 1992–2001
18. Beach Boys – 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow
19. Buzzcocks – Buzzcocks (Mk 1) Box
20. Various – Running the Voodoo Down: Explorations in Psychrockfunksouljazz 1967–80
21. Midori Takada – Through the Looking Glass
22. Tony Conrad – Ten Years Alive on the Infinite Plain
23. Various – Soul of a Nation
24. The Smiths – The Queen is Dead deluxe
25. Underworld – Beaucoup Fish
26. Lift To Experience – The Texas–Jerusalem Crossroads
27. Jon Hassell – Fourth World Volume Two: Dream Theory in Malaya
28. Ramones – Leave Home: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
29. The Replacements – For Sale: Live at Maxwell's 1986
30. Super Furry Animals – Radiator

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 29 Nov 2017, 15:25

Any list that puts an album of Neil Young demos at #1 is worthless.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Nov 2017, 15:58

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:After all, around the time of Friends, the band recorded much more stuff - as legend has it.

Yet they couldn't even scrape together half an hour's worth of material for the album proper?

I don't know - I'll listen to anything from that era, but I'm not getting my hopes up!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Nov 2017, 16:25

Dayodead wrote:And while I'm happy a good little Slowcore band like Acetone get new exposure, I've heard the set doesn't really choose the correct songs...Might have been better served to have a boxset similar to the one put out for Bedhead (A similar slowcore band), which basically put everything they did in one nice package...

I’m pretty sure the Acetone discography is spread out over more than one record label, so it may be difficult to license it all at the same time.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 29 Nov 2017, 16:34

Still Baron wrote:
Dayodead wrote:And while I'm happy a good little Slowcore band like Acetone get new exposure, I've heard the set doesn't really choose the correct songs...Might have been better served to have a boxset similar to the one put out for Bedhead (A similar slowcore band), which basically put everything they did in one nice package...

I’m pretty sure the Acetone discography is spread out over more than one record label, so it may be difficult to license it all at the same time.

Their first four releases are on Vernon Yard / Virgin Records...The last two albums are on Neil Young's label, Vapor Records..Sure something could be arranged between the two entities...

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 29 Nov 2017, 16:36

Snarfyguy wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:After all, around the time of Friends, the band recorded much more stuff - as legend has it.

Yet they couldn't even scrape together half an hour's worth of material for the album proper?

I don't know - I'll listen to anything from that era, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

Haha, yes, Friends clocks in at less than half an hour, IIRC.

But then, Wild Honey wasn't long either. Its mono version never appealed to me. Now it sounds different in my brain, and that is something few other re-issues achieved.

I hope the current team of Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Howie Edelman will be on board. Going by the track lists of the famous Unsurpassed Masters boxes, there's still a lot that we haven't heard officially.

(These sets were simply beyond my financial means, way back whey they appeared at record fairs.)
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Nov 2017, 17:28

Still haven't bothered to get the Peppers reissue.

Never heard of the Buzzcocks box, or the Husker Du one, for that matter.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Nov 2017, 17:54

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Haha, yes, Friends clocks in at less than half an hour, IIRC.

But then, Wild Honey wasn't long either. Its mono version never appealed to me. Now it sounds different in my brain, and that is something few other re-issues achieved.

I hope the current team of Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Howie Edelman will be on board. Going by the track lists of the famous Unsurpassed Masters boxes, there's still a lot that we haven't heard officially.

(These sets were simply beyond my financial means, way back whey they appeared at record fairs.)

Same. Shame I never got my hands on more than one or two of those sets.

Agreed - the re-issue under discussion is monumental. It always sounded kind of weak and thin; the new version sounds amazing!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Nov 2017, 18:43

For me the best reissues are the 3 China Crisis albums - Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms, Working with Fire & Steel, Flaunt the Imperfection. All are great reissues, 2 and 3 disc affairs. Proper quality.

I got the Neil Young vinyl but its only 33 minutes long, music very good but that's too short.

Can The Singles I really like but regret buying the triple vinyl then finding out its less than one single cd in length. Tenner for the cd would've done me well.

I guess the best is probably Trouble No More but 8cd is too bloody expensive and the 2cd is only live material. Quality but ultimately frustrating release. I am still trying to get hold of an MP3 copy to satisfy me for now, one day when the 8cd goes cheap ill grab it, I have all the other bootleg series releases.

Pepper 50th anniversary, not my fave album, did get the 2cd reissue, waiting for the big box white album, that will me more up my street.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Nov 2017, 18:47

Have Watersons, Peppers and the Beach Boys. Want Smith (Eliot, that is) and Neil. Some of the others look good too, but those are the biggies.

Certainly a better year for reissues than for new releases.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 29 Nov 2017, 18:47

Not sure there'll be a White Album reissue. They haven't done any of the other LPs. :(
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Nov 2017, 20:33

I'm guessing the best reissues this year will have been the Das ist DAF box set. Which I'm kinda hoping Santa will be depositing down my chimney.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Nov 2017, 20:53

Moleskin wrote:Not sure there'll be a White Album reissue. They haven't done any of the other LPs. :(

Start in '67 - 50th anniversary, i know its not a given but next year is White Albums 50th. Kind of makes sense, once Apple have started going down this big box reissue route to follow it up with 50th anniversary editions for the likes of White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Maybe, maybe not. My point is for THAT album id more likely get the big box, Abbey Road too. Not so hot on Peppers myself. 2cd sufficed on that reissue.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Nov 2017, 20:58

Moleskin wrote:Not sure there'll be a White Album reissue. They haven't done any of the other LPs. :(

There was - sort of - for MMT (movie and original EP in one package).

I'd be VERY surprised if there weren't 50-year anniversary packages for both the White Album and Abbey Road. Just hope they don't botch it. In my imagination, they'll officially release ALL the home demos for the White Album, along with outtakes. Shouldn't have any problem filling up 6 discs. Abbey Road will be a bit harder, but maybe some 'immersion' stuff like they did for Peppers. I agree with PHR that Peppers wasn't all that interesting, but the White Album in theory could be. Those demos are great.

They will probably skip Let it Be, though.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 29 Nov 2017, 21:07

Darkness_Fish wrote:I'm guessing the best reissues this year will have been the Das ist DAF box set. Which I'm kinda hoping Santa will be depositing down my chimney.

I want that too.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Return to “Yakety Yak”