Jimi

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Jimi

Postby naughty boy » 22 Nov 2017, 20:59

Maybe it's something I've eaten today but right now these two performances seem like the greatest things ever ever:

idiot cameraman misses the start of the teeth solo at 1:38!

it's kind of touching to see them looking at him (3:04)

Noel had it easy...

Jimi was the coolest motherfucker ever to stand behind a microphone, wasn't he?

You really think that studio-processed shit on Ladyland is better than this? I'll send my dog round to eat your shoes!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

sloopjohnc

Re: Jimi

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Nov 2017, 21:03

He was shitty. He couldn't read music.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Nov 2017, 21:03

Tony Visconti's book (which I always seem to be citing) maintains that Jimi's records all failed to capture the absolute devastating heaviness of the man in concert.

You find this sort of testimony a lot from people who were there at his peak - McCartney, Townshend, folks like that: you should have seen him.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 22 Nov 2017, 21:09

*fun and open field* wrote:You really think that studio-processed shit on Ladyland is better than this? I'll send my dog round to eat your shoes!

let your dog sleep. I won't say "better" but I think, what's good about those clips - that there's plenty of that on EL.
twiddling the knobs didn't diminish his gifts for playing & singing.
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Nov 2017, 01:43

Electric Ladyland may be my favorite, but that doesn't mean Are You Experienced and Axis aren't classic.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Nov 2017, 04:25

I never did listen to surf music again.
Question authority.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 24 Nov 2017, 06:26

The thing to remember about Jimi and how he played like that is the size of his hands. They are HUGE. When you see footage of his hands on the guitar, it looks almost like a toy. So stretching to reach a certain difficult fret wasn't a problem for him.

I remember Quaco on some long-forgotten (and Godforsaken, one might assume, perhaps in error) thread that out of most of the Stratocasters he'd ever encountered, most of them were pretty lousy. I can see that, I've known a few people whose Strats couldn't stay in tune, sounded bad in every setting, etc. But when someone gets hold of a great Strat and knows how to operate it - Jimi, Gilmour and Zappa, for starters - that's when you get that extra creamy buttery goodness. I got lucky - I used to make music with a friend who owned a great one, and the more music we did, the more he noticed that I was the one playing it most, so he just offered to sell it. Playing one of those things with the right effects set-up and amp, you feel like you're driving a sports car. Rhythm, lead, no matter, it's all a good time. A guitar that great ends up doing half the work for you - no matter what you do, it's going to sound fantastic, so just follow the sound, don't make any dumb mistakes, and you get there.

"Quite."

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 24 Nov 2017, 08:52

Listening to ‘First Rays...’ at the mo.

Brilliant. Inventive. Could be my fave.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Nov 2017, 09:00

When I hear Purple Haze it's Mitch's drumming that does it for me.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Nov 2017, 09:34

Toby wrote:When I hear Purple Haze it's Mitch's drumming that does it for me.

Yeah. But I'm shocked by how useless Noel is - in that clip at least. I think his bass is turned down, too.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Nov 2017, 09:45

Didn't Hendrix play a lot of the bass parts himself on record?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 24 Nov 2017, 10:11

*fun and open field* wrote:Maybe it's something I've eaten today but right now these two performances seem like the greatest things ever ever:

idiot cameraman misses the start of the teeth solo at 1:38!

it's kind of touching to see them looking at him (3:04)

Noel had it easy...

Jimi was the coolest motherfucker ever to stand behind a microphone, wasn't he?

You really think that studio-processed shit on Ladyland is better than this? I'll send my dog round to eat your shoes!

Can't hear the bass, I know that isn't strictly the point but a bit more bottom end would be nice
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 25 Nov 2017, 11:56

Bent Fabric wrote:Tony Visconti's book (which I always seem to be citing) maintains that Jimi's records all failed to capture the absolute devastating heaviness of the man in concert. You find this sort of testimony a lot from people who were there at his peak - McCartney, Townshend, folks like that: you should have seen him.

I'd say it was bloody loud. I doubt venues had yet caught up to Hendrix in 1966/7 -- using fuzz, wah-wah, Marshalls, Noel drowned out and Mitch hitting a dozen things in between keeping the beat. What would that sound like in a venue thats kitted out for beat groups. I'm sure it was heavy, but was it good? I think the best album to capture the JHE might be Axis. The bookend albums are flights of fancy, Axis is more grounded. Less overdubs and maybe closer to a live band in the studio.

Love the clips above, I watch them about once a year

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 Nov 2017, 15:00

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:Tony Visconti's book (which I always seem to be citing) maintains that Jimi's records all failed to capture the absolute devastating heaviness of the man in concert. You find this sort of testimony a lot from people who were there at his peak - McCartney, Townshend, folks like that: you should have seen him.

I'd say it was bloody loud. I doubt venues had yet caught up to Hendrix in 1966/7 -- using fuzz, wah-wah, Marshalls, Noel drowned out and Mitch hitting a dozen things in between keeping the beat. What would that sound like in a venue thats kitted out for beat groups. I'm sure it was heavy, but was it good? I think the best album to capture the JHE might be Axis. The bookend albums are flights of fancy, Axis is more grounded. Less overdubs and maybe closer to a live band in the studio.

Love the clips above, I watch them about once a year.

The BBC live album captured him best IMO.
Question authority.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 25 Nov 2017, 19:12

Absolutely! Some of those recordings outdo the studio ones. His rhythm playing on Wait Until Tomorrow is a masterclass.

Return to “Yakety Yak”