Huge star - pity about the films

..and why not?
Ranking Ted

Re: Huge star - pity about the films

Postby Ranking Ted » 24 Nov 2017, 21:42

For me, there’s loads of current big stars - Ryan Reynolds, Adam Sandler, Vin Diesel, Gerard Butler, Chris Tucker, yada yada - that I could tell you absolutely nothing about.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Nov 2017, 21:57

Is Denis Quaid considered a big star?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Nov 2017, 21:59

I wouldn't have thought so.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Nov 2017, 22:00

Ranking Ted wrote:For me, there’s loads of current big stars - Ryan Reynolds, Adam Sandler, Vin Diesel, Gerard Butler, Chris Tucker, yada yada - that I could tell you absolutely nothing about.

Me neither. I don't watch new Hollywood films at all these days.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 25 Nov 2017, 00:57

Ranking Ted wrote:For me, there’s loads of current big stars - Ryan Reynolds, Adam Sandler, Vin Diesel, Gerard Butler, Chris Tucker, yada yada - that I could tell you absolutely nothing about.

Gerard Butler went to school with my cousin.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 25 Nov 2017, 04:26

The Modernist wrote:You're insane if you don't rate Zulu.

I love it too, but it's hardly a performance that would be seen as "typical" Caine, as he's playing someone in the "upper-class stiff upper lip" mode. Which works fine for the film and the role in general, but in many ways, seems a bit of an outlier. As for his performances in the 21st Century, the Quiet American is one that seems to be ignored a bit, but he really captures the spirit of the character really well. The sense of jaded ennui and distrust of new arrivals. It's borderline slept-on at times, but also very affecting. Caine made lots of bad commercial and artistic choices in the late 70s to late 80s (but even during that era there was still stuff like Hannah and Her Sisters), but he seems to be slightly more discerning these days, give or take a couple of clunkers.

As for actors who haven't made a bad movie, Daniel Day Lewis comes pretty close: There Will Be Blood and Gangs of New York were flawed, but both had really pulverising and exciting moments, especially There Will Be Blood. Both however did suffer from not knowing how to end the film. Yet in some ways, he's a difficult actor to warm to, the sense of craft is all too apparent in all his performances: I mean, his Lincoln is objectively flawless, for instance, yet it's also somewhat stagey. He's an interesting actor in that his pursuit of "prestige" roles (for lack of a better term) means he's lost some of the energy he brought to films like My Beautiful Launderette and My Left Foot . But maybe that's nitpicking.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Nov 2017, 04:51

Ben Affleck

How has no one mentioned Ben Affleck?

I do not like Ben Affleck.

I do not like the movies Ben Affleck has directed.

I do not like the movies Ben Affleck has acted in.

I understand the appeal of Ben Affleck.

I just think Ben Affleck is not any good.

Thank you for reading.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 25 Nov 2017, 11:17

Affleck is a good director, his first two were excellent
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Nov 2017, 05:07

Close the thread, the correct answer is Burt Reynolds. The number one box office draw in North America according to the Quigley publications polls of theater owners from 1978 - 1982. No other actor alive or dead can make that claim except for Bing Crosby from '44 - '48, look it up. Other actors, such as Tom Cruise for instance, can claim to have been number one during different years, but only Crosby and Reynolds can claim five years in a row. And did Burt do a decent film during the late '70s to early '80s? Fuck no, Hooper, anyone? His best pictures, Deliverance, and Boogie Nights, fall outside of that time frame.

Sean Connery is a marvel of consistency compared to Mr. Reynolds.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Nov 2017, 07:51

Jeemo wrote:Affleck is a good director, his first two were excellent

The best thing I can say about him is that he's competent, but in order for something to attain my affection in the arts it must be more than merely competent.

Affleck is smart enough, and has been around enough movie sets to have picked up a very basic formula for success. I feel that his films are made for an educated middle class audience that enjoys cinema, but perhaps doesn't have time for bold statements or any sort of risky behavior in their lives, or in the art the choose to surround themselves.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Nov 2017, 11:15

Matt Wilson wrote:Close the thread, the correct answer is Burt Reynolds. The number one box office draw in North America according to the Quigley publications polls of theater owners from 1978 - 1982. No other actor alive or dead can make that claim except for Bing Crosby from '44 - '48, look it up.

Shirley Temple (see page 1) had four years in a row and every one of those pictures was an execrable piece of shit. I'm sure Mr Reynolds had one or two which were passably entertaining, although I can't say I remember ever seeing him on the big screen.

And as a general point, how can any film actors in the past 20 years claim to be 'huge stars' when Hollywood cinema has been taken over by franchises and star directors. I mean, how many people go to see a movie these days because it has a particular actor in it, and for no other reason?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 Nov 2017, 09:03

Brad Pitt is the correct answer of course. And the worst with someone like him is that his mere presence makes potentially very good movies like 12 Monkeys die a horrible death. I'd generally agree with Johnny Depp and Ben Affleck as well - but I do think there are at least a couple of good movies in their back catalogue. There is nothing redeemable in Brad Pitt's.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Nov 2017, 10:19

Seven
12 Monkeys
Fight Club
Oceans 11
The Assasination of Jesse James…

Not much but he has been in some good movies
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 28 Nov 2017, 11:17

More than MICHAEL CAINE
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 Nov 2017, 11:36

Goat Boy wrote:Seven
12 Monkeys
Fight Club
Oceans 11
The Assasination of Jesse James…

Not much but he has been in some good movies

Awful movies every one - and indeed all of them would probably have been pretty good (especially Jesse James) without him. Oceans11 is the only one I may give a pass as probably vaguely amusing entertainment - but mainly I just really can't remember it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 28 Nov 2017, 12:13

The only Pitt film I'll make time for these days is Kalifornia. I've always liked that one despite the utterly uncharismatic David Duchovny.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Nov 2017, 15:53

Connery, Caine and Pitt all have good/great films to their credit.

No, I still maintain it's Reynolds.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Nov 2017, 17:26

Matt Wilson wrote:No, I still maintain it's Reynolds.

He gave credible performances in Deliverance and Boogie Nights. Apart from those, was his whole career just Smokey and the Bandit-type nonsense or what? His filmography at Wikipedia shows him having done a lot of work, but I really only recognize the shlocky 70s/early 80s stuff.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 28 Nov 2017, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 28 Nov 2017, 17:48

Adam Sandler
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Nov 2017, 18:30

Velvis
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Screenadelica”