Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Geezee

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Geezee » 27 Sep 2017, 09:23

Geezee wrote:
Samoan wrote:I'm very impressed by the follow-on series to The Good Wife, called The Good Fight.

Enticing opening sequence of shots by Ridley Scott and then straight into a whole new legal show featuring a Ponzi scheme as both the showcase legal and life(s)-changing event. The series continues to star Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhart) and also from TGW, is young lawyer Cush Jumbo (Luca Quinn) and Eli Gold's delightful daughter, Marissa reappears.

Do watch it, it's great.

I don't know if The Good Wife has been discussed here before, but it is surprisingly good. It loses its way completely sometime around season 6 but the way it weaves in social media, political debate and courtroom drama is pretty effective.

The apparently explosive friction between two of the leads Margulies and Panjabi is pretty funny as well as the producers try as many ingenious ways as possible not to have them in the same room together even when the plot demands that they talk to each other.

Didn't realise there was a sequel, will check it out, thanks for the heads-up (I didn't like Eli Gold's daughter though :x ).

Started very promising, this series - I love the opening shot of Diane staring forlornly at the screen as Trump is being sworn in, and the core cast is fantastic - Diane, Lucca, Maia, and Adrian - but ultimately I feel the series fell off the rails pretty badly pretty quickly. Lucca's love interest (the guy from the Hangover) doesn't follow on well from previous, similar, conflicted-but-well-meaning AUSA characters (just comes across as pure sleaze) and their relationship doesn't seem believable at all. Most of the cases involve the same set of clients/antagonists from The Good Wife and it feels like they really should have moved on from all that - particularly since they move the setting to an all-black law firm, why are all the cases the same vanilla white millionaires as in The Good Wife? And I find Maia's role particularly difficult - she's a really interesting actress, but she completely overdoes the weakness/uncertainty/stumbling thing, and the way she is handling the investigation into her parents makes no sense. Plus, it seems to me that the eventual FBI interview is fully justified, while they are portraying it as a sneaky, politically motivated campaign against her. When she is let off trhough a technicality, you are meant to feel relieved, but all I felt was fcking typical - she is getting away with (and OK, fine, the season ends with her being arrested - but only because he dad doesn't protect her...and what, are we meant to feel sorry for her? fck off!)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 05 Oct 2017, 21:16

Meanwhile, my new commute poison bought for next to nothing at a charity shop is this:

I was ready to hate it, but the dialogues are really sharp and I'm starting to like the characters (including Matthew Perry, much better acting than expected from him, and I'm developing a crush on Sarah Paulson, actually). Sting with a lute in episode 5 and 6 was almost a dealbreaker, though. :lol:

Anyway, I understand now what the fuss is about Sorkin.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 05 Oct 2017, 21:21

Oh, and Simon Helberg's Nicolas Cage impersonations are a hoot!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Oct 2017, 22:26

Marvel's Inhumans

I was worried about this series, since the introduction of the Inhuman race in "Agents of SHIELD" wasn't particularly inspiring; they just seemed to be ordinary mutated humans. However in this series, you have pretty much the full Lee/Kirby mythology: Attilan, the Inhuman Royal family, Black Bolt, Medusa, etc. and Maximus played by Game of Thrones' Iwan Rheon, possibly because ABC is trying to sell this as the "Game of Thrones" of the extended Marvel Universe ("Two Brothers, One Throne"). Unfortunately, it's just not especially good. Marvel has done a fairly remarkable job into adapting its various characters onto the big and small screens, but this one could only appeal to the staunchest Marvel nerds. Iwan plays Maximus as a half-assed Ramsay Bolton and the "strangers in a strange land" formula remains a stale t.v. cliche. I read that it was already "not renewed" for a second season even before the first episode aired. A shame, because I love these characters, and the actress who plays Crystal (Isabelle Cornish) is a real looker.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 06 Oct 2017, 23:31

Neige wrote:Meanwhile, my new commute poison bought for next to nothing at a charity shop is this:

Sting with a lute in episode 5 and 6 was almost a dealbreaker, though. :lol:

In the meantime, I've seen episode 7 and 8 and the glorious appearance of John Goodman as a Nevada judge really made up for it.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Oct 2017, 15:51

I finished the second season of "Carnivale" on Sunday. Very worthwhile. The final episode introduces what was obviously going to be a major story for future seasons, but otherwise you get a mainly satisfactory end to the story.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Oct 2017, 19:40

First episode of Season 1 - pretty good!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 Nov 2017, 11:00

The Australian-made Deadline Gallipoliwas a recent 2 part drama rather unusually (to me) featuring the intense involvement and viewpoint of war correspondents in the Gallipoli Campaign alongside the soldiers. The top military British Colonel Blimps were doing their utmost to censor both their reports and photography and to keep Kitchener in the dark about the ongoing havoc but were ultimately foiled.
It was something to see crimson poppies growing wild in the sandy Turkish soil under the blazing sun amongst the odd olive tree.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 11:27

Neige wrote:
Neige wrote:Meanwhile, my new commute poison bought for next to nothing at a charity shop is this:

Sting with a lute in episode 5 and 6 was almost a dealbreaker, though. :lol:

In the meantime, I've seen episode 7 and 8 and the glorious appearance of John Goodman as a Nevada judge really made up for it.

I watched it when broadcast and really enjoyed it. Shame it was cancelled.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Nov 2017, 20:30

Honestly is there anything better than a BBC series about nature with David Attenborough's narration? There really is no equal.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Nov 2017, 12:37

It's fantastic, yeah.

There's some great stuff on TV right now - I often think autumn is the best time. The new four-parter on Trump is very good, Exodus continues to be enthralling and saddening, Sky Arts has had excellent docus on Belushi, The Clash, Rolling Stone and the continuing History of Comedy.

And Curb Your Enthusiasm is still hilarious.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 12 Nov 2017, 11:11

I am enjoying mindhunter on netflix , it is rather good.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

driftin

Postby driftin » 13 Nov 2017, 03:35

jimboo wrote:I am enjoying mindhunter on netflix , it is rather good.

I binged that in a couple of days. I thought it was decent. Great acting, good dialogue, nice visuals, but aside from the bloke who talks eloquently about shagging a decapitated head, I honestly can't remember much about it. There wasn't much of a plot to it.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Nov 2017, 20:10

Very good.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Nov 2017, 20:12

Him?

Really?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Nov 2017, 21:35

Your mileage may vary, but the show works for me.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Nov 2017, 22:59

*fun and open field* wrote:It's fantastic, yeah.

It's beautifully shot. But often really boring. I can't get interested in grubs and crabs and that kind of thing.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Nov 2017, 23:03

Great episode of Peaky Blinders the other night.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Nov 2017, 17:38

Catching up with Season Three, in which we say goodbye to Elliott Gould and hello to Ian MacShane. This thing's basically a soap opera, but I suppose all these "prestige" shows are.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Nov 2017, 19:27

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

First episode of Season 1 - pretty good!

oh man, I love that show. stick with it. the episode where Peter Gregory becomes obsessed with Burger King is classic!
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Screenadelica”