BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - FULL RESULTS ARE UP!!

..and why not?
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-16 UP

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 Nov 2017, 20:42

Few things in life are better than Vertigo.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-16 UP

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2017, 00:13

I think we're waiting to find out ;)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

algroth

Re: BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-8 UP

Postby algroth » 16 Nov 2017, 02:17

Uploaded the latest batch. I'll be uploading the ones remaining over the weekend.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 05:10

This last bunch is kind of rough going for me.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Nov 2017, 06:28

Rough going? How so?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Nov 2017, 08:49

They're the films I'd expect to see up there really. People may quibble about Spinal Tap, but it's one of the funniest films I've seen so I have no problems with its high position. Plus as a music film it's going to have its own BCB appeal. My own personal "overrated" film is Brazil, I've never quite got the popularity of that one, but it's always done well in BCB polls, and indeed in wider critics polls, so again not a surprise.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Nov 2017, 08:50

I know Davey doesn't care for Blue Velvet, we've had that discussion in the past.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2017, 09:15

Holy Grail, Spinal Tap, Blue Velvet, Aguirre - some of my least favourite films. In fact I (re-)watched three of them over the last 12 months and still couldn't see the fuss. Maybe Davey has similar feelings.

Looking forward very much to the top 8 now.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 09:25

Weird.

All of them are great. Two of them are amongst my favourite films ever.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Nov 2017, 09:31

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Holy Grail, Spinal Tap, Blue Velvet, Aguirre - some of my least favourite films. In fact I (re-)watched three of them over the last 12 months and still couldn't see the fuss. Maybe Davey has similar feelings.

I'm surprised to see you say that about Grail given you're a huge Python fan. My own memory (and I haven't seen either for a long time) is that Grail was always a funnier film than LoB, but not as deep, ambitious or cinematic (it was made on a real shoestring budget - something they built into the comedy of the script with the non-existent horses etc.). I've always felt the Python films were a little overrated on BCB, but at the same time have a lot of warmth towards them myself, so am happy to see them do well.
Aguirre - I need to rewatch this actually, and have a Herzog boxset somewhere, so will do this soon. I have seen it once before, back in the 80s, and it didn't make much impression on me, but I want to give it a rewatch before deciding what I think of it.

Darkness_Fish

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll - 2017 edition

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Nov 2017, 09:37

algroth wrote:One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Directed by Miloš Forman

A few decades after the destruction of the Inca empire, a Spanish expedition leaves the mountains of Peru and goes down the Amazon river in search of gold and wealth. Soon, they come across great difficulties and Don Aguirres, a ruthless man who cares only about riches, becomes their leader. But will his quest lead them to "the golden city", or to certain destruction? --Chris Makrozahopoulos (IMDb.com)

It's weird how people get different things from different films. I must admit, I love this film, but I never saw it as an allegory for the Spanish ransacking of South America. Is Aguirres Nurse Ratchet or McMurphy?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 09:40

The Modernist wrote:
Dr. E. PLATE wrote:Holy Grail, Spinal Tap, Blue Velvet, Aguirre - some of my least favourite films. In fact I (re-)watched three of them over the last 12 months and still couldn't see the fuss. Maybe Davey has similar feelings.

I'm surprised to see you say that about Grail given you're a huge Python fan. My own memory (and I haven't seen either for a long time) is that Grail was always a funnier film than LoB, but not as deep, ambitious or cinematic (it was made on a real shoestring budget - something they built into the comedy of the script with the non-existent horses etc.). I've always felt the Python films were a little overrated on BCB, but at the same time have a lot of warmth towards them myself, so am happy to see them do well.
Aguirre - I need to rewatch this actually, and have a Herzog boxset somewhere, so will do this soon. I have seen it once before, back in the 80s, and it didn't make much impression on me, but I want to give it a rewatch before deciding what I think of it.

That's how I see it. Life of Brian is the stronger film but Grail is funnier even if they don't know how to end it.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2017, 09:45

I don't really have much to add to what I've said already - I didn't find Holy Grail funny in the slightest. It's difficult to pinpoint what it is. It relies way too much on a side of Python I don't care for. I'd say a 'silly' side, but of course that doesn't really say much 'cos they're always silly! A lot of the supposedly funniest scenes/lines didn't even bring a smile (the Knights of Ni, Cleese as a Frenchman insulting the invaders, Palin talking about being oppressed or whatever it is - strikes me this is kind of lazy comedy).

I definitely find Life of Brian funnier, but really it's only the TV series I love - and that's one of my favourite things ever, all in all. There's much more in them, the freeform, unpredictable nature of it appeals much more. Saying 'your mother smells of elderberries' in a high-pitched voice doesn't cut it for me :)

Aguirre - maybe it's not fair to judge, 'cos I only lasted about 20 minutes. But it was comically bad, just atrocious.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 10:16

I think with Aguirre it’s the odd mix of documentary style realism combined with the quality of a detached dream that becomes increasingly stranger and more haunting as the characters mental state disintegrate that gives the film its power.

You can obviously read it as an allegory for western colonialism or the folly and arrogance of man in trying to conquer nature and so on. Nazi Germany casts a shadow over it too: one man’s obsession and madness leading others into disaster.

It’s one of these simple stories that manages to say a lot.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Nov 2017, 10:42

I thought Aguirre was a bit hammy myself. Nice atmosphere but while I liked Kinski's performance at the time my overwhelming memory is of him gurning his way through it all.

These auteur films sometimes come across quite foolishly if they don't get it right.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:16

algroth wrote:Rough going? How so?

It’s a mix of a few films I actively dislike, and a few I’m fine with with a slew of others that I just would never rate as highly as this. I don’t think I voted for any of them after Badlands until you get all the way to Taxi Driver (though I mostly didn’t vote for Vertigo and Seven Samurai because I knew others would).

Having both Brazil and Blue Velvet next to each other in the top 10 is a heaping tray of brussel sprouts.

But it’s a snapshot of BCB’s tastes, not just mine. So it’s all fine.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:40

Dr. E. PLATE wrote:I don't really have much to add to what I've said already - I didn't find Holy Grail funny in the slightest. It's difficult to pinpoint what it is. It relies way too much on a side of Python I don't care for. I'd say a 'silly' side, but of course that doesn't really say much 'cos they're always silly! A lot of the supposedly funniest scenes/lines didn't even bring a smile (the Knights of Ni, Cleese as a Frenchman insulting the invaders, Palin talking about being oppressed or whatever it is - strikes me this is kind of lazy comedy).

Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Bloody peasant.

It's great.

I don't think "lazy" is the right word at all. I struggle to understand how you wouldn't find any of it funny at all. I remember watching it for the first time and I damn near soiled myself throughout the movie.

You know what one of my favourite gags is? The two guards standing at the door and Cleese attacking from miles away. Repeat shot of Cleese miles away. Boom! He's at the front door! :lol:

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 11:43

Holy Grail is fine. But it’s hard to get any meat off off that bone anymore.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Nov 2017, 12:26

Goat Boy wrote:
Dr. E. PLATE wrote:I don't really have much to add to what I've said already - I didn't find Holy Grail funny in the slightest. It's difficult to pinpoint what it is. It relies way too much on a side of Python I don't care for. I'd say a 'silly' side, but of course that doesn't really say much 'cos they're always silly! A lot of the supposedly funniest scenes/lines didn't even bring a smile (the Knights of Ni, Cleese as a Frenchman insulting the invaders, Palin talking about being oppressed or whatever it is - strikes me this is kind of lazy comedy).

Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Bloody peasant.

It's great.

I don't think "lazy" is the right word at all. I struggle to understand how you wouldn't find any of it funny at all. I remember watching it for the first time and I damn near soiled myself throughout the movie.

You know what one of my favourite gags is? The two guards standing at the door and Cleese attacking from miles away. Repeat shot of Cleese miles away. Boom! He's at the front door! :lol:

:|

It's like it was written and performed by a bunch of sixth-formers. A kind of forced, desperate piss-about. 'Give them some money, their revue showed promise!'.

You know they're short of good ideas when the opening gag features fellas clopping coconut shells together.

There's one scene with Cleese that I found funny - in fact the only bit that made me laugh at all - but I can't remember what it was. But it wasn't that bit.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Nov 2017, 12:38

:|

Return to “Screenadelica”