18%
"Find the River" – 3:50
14%

Total votes: 103

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Automatic For The People

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Nov 2017, 18:44

Released 25 years ago last month. A big album for me at the time but one that faded over the years along with the WB albums in general. I've returned to it a bit recently and think it's actually very good mostly and occasionally great.

When it was released it seemed to be universally declared their masterpiece although on BCB and other places I see the earlier stuff being lauded more these days. It's certainly vastly superior to Green and Out of Time.

There is some lovely stuff on here though. I'm particularly fond of Try Not To Breathe.

What do you think about it now anyway?

I've added a poll as well.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Automatic For The People

Postby Moleskin » 14 Nov 2017, 18:49

It's probably the best of the WB years, but I'll always prefer the run from Fables to Document (including Dead Letter Office) because that's when I discovered them.

I selected Drive, because it sounds so little like a single, Try Not To Breathe and Nightswimming.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Nov 2017, 18:58

Their last really good 'un. Hardly a duff track.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Nov 2017, 19:08

Shite
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 14 Nov 2017, 19:16

Goat Boy wrote:I'm particularly fond of Try Not To Breathe.

Me too.

I don't like the album much overall.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 14 Nov 2017, 19:17

I used to rate it really highly but... I was young and didn't know better.

I think the songwriting is strong and inventive, and it has more depth than their earlier work (I am very "happy with the best of" when it comes to their indie days), but something about it... Stipe, you know?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Nov 2017, 19:36

It has suffered from over-familiarity but it is definitely one of their best, in terms of song strength and accessibility.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 14 Nov 2017, 19:50

Find The River has become the stand out track for me.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 14 Nov 2017, 21:12

It’s a special record, I think, worthy of its status. Agreed it’s their best WB album. While the mysteries of their IRS records still attract and beguile more - and therefore are where I’ll go for an R.E.M. fix - it’s no reflection on the qualities of this one. As for tracks, I’ll go for Try..., Man... and Find...

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Nov 2017, 21:58

Still prefer their 80s stuff, but this is a good record. Mostly the singles were the best tracks, with the mysterious atmospheres of Drive the crowning glory.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 14 Nov 2017, 22:48

A few songs are a little much when I hear it at times, probably my mood, but overall it's grand.
I chose Sweetness Follows, Find the River and Nightswimming.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 15 Nov 2017, 00:36

Amazing and risky album...they could have gone in a more pop direction after the chart success of the previous album, but chose to make a somewhat darker, more somber record..Not their best of the WB era (That would be New Adventures in H-Fi), but still stands up to the IRS years nicely...

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 15 Nov 2017, 02:52

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch from Murmur/Reckoning to Automatic: the difference is their first two LPs are focused on their own little circle of friends whereas Automatic...is about reaching out to the wider world. I still love parts of Automatic, particularly the moody, circular "Drive", the mournful "Find the River", the yearning "Try Not To Breathe" and the cinematic "Monty Got A Raw Deal". The arrangements make the record in many ways too: I think Stipe found something quite unique in his vocals on this record: they're forceful without being strident or hectoring, and lyrically he had never been more direct.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 15 Nov 2017, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Nov 2017, 02:56

I can’t believe so many of you like “Drive” enough to mention it. One of their worst singles and one of the duds on what is otherwise one of their best records.

Find The River
Sweetness Follows
Nightswimming

Had you asked me before everything blew up, I’m sure Man on the Moon or one of the other hits would’ve been in there, but by god I never need to hear some of those songs again.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Nov 2017, 09:46

I like the funereal trio of Try Not To Breathe, Sweetness Follows and Find The River, but I'm not a massive fan. I prefer Out Of Time to this but for me it's really all about their first three or four LPs.

Wasn't there a theory at the time that Stipe had HIV? Whatever, there's a real sense of doomed acceptance on these three songs especially. They do it very well.
'Leave the road and memorise this life that flashed before your eyes'

Gives me shivers.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Nov 2017, 10:48

Deebank wrote:I like the funereal trio of Try Not To Breathe, Sweetness Follows and Find The River, but I'm not a massive fan. I prefer Out Of Time to this but for me it's really all about their first three or four LPs.

Wasn't there a theory at the time that Stipe had HIV? Whatever, there's a real sense of doomed acceptance on these three songs especially. They do it very well.
'Leave the road and memorise this life that flashed before your eyes'

Gives me shivers.

There were rumours at the time of general poor health and I do recall AIDS being mentioned. I’m not sure how aware people were of Stipes sexuality back then?

I voted for Drive, Try Not To Breathe and Find The River.

The singles do suffer from being overplayed but then I listened to Sidewinder last night and really enjoyed it. It might be a few years before I can enjoy Man On The Moon again though.

Find The River is one of their greatest songs. I remember playing it to a mate whilst he was on pills and he ended up listening to it about dozen times in a row.

I know people criticise Stipes lyrics but I think he managed to capture something universal on this album with a degree of elegance.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Nov 2017, 18:56

I voted Drive, Sidewinder and Swimming, but I love Try Not To Breathe, and nothing is duff; I guess I’ve been put off Everybody Hurts because- inevitably- it’s been hijacked for endless mawkish things.

Sidewinder is just ebullient nonsense which perks up what is otherwise a pretty sombre tone. Drive is a great opener.

Nightswimming - well, it makes my scary no nonsense Yorkshire friend cry, so I’ve got no fucking chance. It’s beautiful.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Nov 2017, 04:05

As I recall, it's one R.E.M. album I can listen to without vomiting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 18 Nov 2017, 06:24

It was the first R.E.M. album I bought. I was 13. I am now 38. Fuck.

Completely agree with all the love for "Find the River" - a glorious song.

Also voted for "Nightswimming" & "Monty Got a Raw Deal".
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Nov 2017, 20:32

I ran this on spotify for awhile this morning. One of the striking things about this record and Out of Time is how totally improbable the hits were, and how massive they actually were. I have to think the videos get some credit or something, it's just so weird to think they had actual hits from these records.

I also was reminded that I don't particularly care for "Sidewinder Sleeps." I guess there has to be a really dopey song on every record.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”