Dylan - Trouble No More - Bootleg Series Vol 13

Do talk back
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Re: Dylan - Trouble No More - Bootleg Series Vol 13

Postby andymacandy » 08 Nov 2017, 16:58

I like it.The message gets a bit wearing, but the performances are strong.
Bless the weather.......Image

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 Nov 2017, 19:27

Matt Wilson wrote:It's not sold out.

Maybe in the US it isn't.

I now placed an order with Amazon Germany and they should've sent it two days ago.

But it still isn't on the way.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Nov 2017, 19:32

Well, when you say "everywhere..."

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Nov 2017, 20:08

There's an encouraging piece here, featuring excerpts from Penn Jillette's liner notes: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/mu ... 13-review/
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Nov 2017, 21:00

well, anything that makes Penn Jillette admit a mistake is worth a look.
Me, my problem isn't so much with the religion as the presentation. one of my favorites in the series. so far, is the Rolling Thunder Review stuff. I like this style - like what Willie Nelson does - the crowds get the songs they want and the band gets to show off how good they can play.

this period of Bob's live stuff seems, in more ways than I'd like, an extension of that "Budokan" approach. I find the arrangements very schlocky and "Vegas" in a bad way.

well, if the scales fell from Jilette's eyes then maybe they'll fall from mine. I always liked "slow train coming" even though I thought some critics went a little overboard. Now I realize critics going overboard on Dylan is just part of their job.
uggy poopy doody.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 08 Nov 2017, 21:42

I downloaded the bootleg, basically someone recorded and split the 80mins of music / 15 tracks that was streaming online, mainly as it features some of the studio tracks not on the 2cd version. Just to give it a listen and then decide which version to get. Being honest it will still be the 2cd version for now as price too high but if and when the 8cd version price drops next year, i'll spring for it. This'll do for now.

The rehearsal version of Every Grain of Sand is lovely, also like the Caribbean Wind with pedal steel. A great band and Bob on top form vocally as well.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 08 Nov 2017, 22:40

That sounds interesting! Bootleg???

I’ve always thought Street Legal is Dylan’s best God album as he’s kind of searching/asking questions rather than giving answers like he does in his “official” religious phase.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Nov 2017, 23:55

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:I'd much rather have a complete Blood on the Tracks and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

Me too. I’m sure Columbia will get around to these. I’m also looking forward to “the Bootleg Series: Bob Dylan’s Outgoing Answering Machine Messages”
Last edited by Sneelock on 09 Nov 2017, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Nov 2017, 00:05

During what we now refer to as "the answering machine era", I can only imagine how efficient Dylan's message skipping technique was.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 09 Nov 2017, 22:23

echolalia wrote:That sounds interesting! Bootleg???

I’ve always thought Street Legal is Dylan’s best God album as he’s kind of searching/asking questions rather than giving answers like he does in his “official” religious phase.

Google "Bob Dylan – Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 1979-1981 (Sampler)"

Its the cd compilation of the main set they streamed online as a promo for the album a few weeks back. An enterprising fan must've recorded and uploaded the files.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 09 Nov 2017, 22:40

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Google "Bob Dylan – Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 1979-1981 (Sampler)"

Its the cd compilation of the main set they streamed online as a promo for the album a few weeks back. An enterprising fan must've recorded and uploaded the files.

Thanks!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 10 Nov 2017, 23:02

This (and not just the quote) made me rethink the whole investment.

The apparent objective of the boxed set’s editorial maneuver is to represent Dylan’s brand of Christianity in a benign, benevolent light, by removing the music from the larger and highly problematic context of his apocalyptic beliefs. Nowhere is this strategy of decontextualization more obvious than in LeBeau’s film.

Anyone who has ever seen an uncut version of the 1980 Massey Hall show will almost certainly recall a nearly 10-minute Dylan spiel in which he surmised that Russia’s 1979 invasion of Afghanistan was a prefiguring of the final conflict between Christ and Satan at Armageddon. It is slightly demented, and you will not hear it here. (You can find it on YouTube, though.)
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 14 Nov 2017, 00:15

It sounds good in places (the sampler). Gotta Serve Somebody is much better than the album version and has a kind of Ann Peebles thing going on – it’s great. In fact there are bits where he should shut the … no there aren’t. Making a Liar Out of Me sounds like Where Are You Tonight mixed up with You Can’t Always Get What You Want. Caribbean Wind is fab! But then I’d rather hear Dylan sing about the weather than about God. There’s a nastiness in the words and there’s an unpleasant catch in his voice sometimes, as if he’s getting high on his own sanctimonious supply. Urgh.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Dec 2017, 23:45

As part of the huge Amazon credit I had thanks to Christmas gifts, I went for the 2-disc set. I got it mainly 'cause I get all of these, but I have to say some of the music's pretty great. The end of disc 2 has Caribbean Wind, The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar, and Every Grain of Sand in a row - brings home the fact that he didn't lose his muse at all during that time - just thought he was supposed to preach the gospel. The second he stopped pointing his finger, he wrote some of his most inspired songs ever.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Return to “Yakety Yak”