Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2017, 14:30

Yeah it's full of those little details. Neither of the two leads had acted before, but they have such a chemistry together.
It's so cleverly filmed too - the way the lead character keeps getting engulfed by crowds like he's losing his identity.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Oct 2017, 02:57

Barry Lyndon

OMG, this has never looked so good. I'm pleased as punch.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Oct 2017, 12:13

I watched Parkland last weekend: I didn't know there was to be the release of documents this week. A stunning and poignant film as expected, with so many affecting scenes such as the difficulties of moving Kennedy's coffin into the AirForce One plane for flight back to Washington to the pitiful scenes at Oswald's burial*.
I hope I'm not causing offence to any American BCBers by saying that* and I apologise sincerely should that be the case.

(It's hard for me to imagine any historic British comparison except say, the assassination of Winston Churchill after the conclusion of WW2.)

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 01:17

Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection

Hell yeah... Perfect films for October. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man & Bride of Frankenstein are classics. The Mummy is great, and The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera & Creature from the Black Lagoon are all worthy. Had they included the original 1925 version of Phantom instead of the one from the 40s, they could have had one more great one. Essential Halloween movies.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Oct 2017, 18:18

Took David and Cameron to see Thor 3. Great fun, ideal Friday night movie.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 28 Oct 2017, 19:30

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Barry Lyndon

Fantastic film , every moment of the movie is magical , what's not to love?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 19:42

jimboo wrote:
Barry Lyndon

It's great, but there are always things to nitpick about. It's slow, for one thing, and I don't care about any of the characters. And all Kubrick really cares about is the photography and getting the details right.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 29 Oct 2017, 07:21

Matt Wilson wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Barry Lyndon

It's great, but there are always things to nitpick about. It's slow, for one thing, and I don't care about any of the characters. And all Kubrick really cares about is the photography and getting the details right.

I love how slow it is. It’s a film that allows you luxuriate in it (as opposed to most of today’s films that act like a restaurant that wants its booth back as fast as possible). As for Kubrick not caring about the characters - that’s largely the point of the film. I love how it builds to one masterful existential joke.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 29 Oct 2017, 11:52

jimboo wrote:
Barry Lyndon

I hate it. I've never tried so hard with anything so tedious.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 31 Oct 2017, 16:05

Recent views:

War of the Worlds (1953)

Nosferatu (1922)

Scarface (1983)

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Nov 2017, 00:36

Image Image Image

Monty Python & The Holy Grail
A classic. Life of Brian may be the most revered now, but when I was a kid people memorized practically every line of dialogue from Holy Grail. We'd never seen anything like it. Endlessly clever.

Scarecrow
Pretty good but little known film from Pacino and Hackman in the early '70s. A downbeat ending, but the acting doesn't disappoint.

Sabrina
One of Billy Wilder's biggest successes. It still works, though I can't help but think it would be better if Cary Grant and not Bogart, would have accepted the role.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 04 Nov 2017, 15:28

Scarecrow has Gene Pacino at tbe top of their game.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Nov 2017, 14:39

Junior Bonner

Wonderful, little known Peckinpah film which never made any money but is admired now. A bit slow, but it's a character study and very well made. Major upgrade onto blu as the DVD was awful - it wasn't even anamorphic.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Nov 2017, 17:41

hippopotamus wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Barry Lyndon

I'm glad someone wrote it. I've tried to watch it several times without success.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Nov 2017, 05:47

I spent the day at the cinema, watching Goodbye Christopher Robin, Loving Vincent, and a Hitchcock I'd never seen before, Suspicion.

To my surprise I enjoyed both new movies more than the Hitchcock, which while not exactly a waste of my time was ultimately unsatisfying on a number of levels.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Nov 2017, 11:56

Belle De Jour

I remember watching this as a teenager, mostly for Catherine Deneuve I have to say. I was very naughty that night but enough about my perversions. Strangely for a film with its reputation there is nothing actually sexually explicit about it at all. The eroticism is one of the imagination and of anticipation.

The psychology of Belle is hinted at so we get a couple of flashback scenes that strongly suggest sexual abuse as a child but that’s it. Her fantasies involve her being debased and humiliated. Is this rooted in the sexual abuse? Perhaps but we don’t know for sure. Belle is largely unknowable, her sexual fantasies her own and her reasons for going into prostitution seem rooted in her desire to be debased and defiled. Maybe her class and social standing plays a part too. She wears gorgeous Haute couture dresses that make the other prostitutes swoon. Her husband is a doctor and she lives in a huge apartment in the centre of Paris. On the surface everything seems perfect but she cannot sleep with her husband who despite a year of marriage is dutifully patient and respectful which is maybe part of the problem of course. There are some obvious dream sequences and some not so obvious as fantasy and reality begin to gently blur.

Things go wrong as her second life catches up with her leading to a cryptic ending which could well be another dream or maybe symbolic of something else. By removing her virtuousness is her husbands awakening from the coma symbolic of a new physical relationship between the two? Or is just another fantasy?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Nov 2017, 18:59

This is a very good, pulpy, tactile thriller. Good Time is a good time. If you want a good time watching a film, watch Good Time.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Nov 2017, 19:35

sloopjohnc wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:
jimboo wrote:

I'm glad someone wrote it. I've tried to watch it several times without success.

Yeah, I paid to see the restored version this summer and was hugely disappointed. It's all about surface, and I didn't find much of interest there anyway, really.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Nov 2017, 19:51

I guess that depends on what you're interested in.
it's my favorite Kubrick film and I love me a lot of Kubrick films.
Barry Lyndon learns not to be a schmuck. yeah, it takes him a few hours to do this but rarely have I found a few hours of movie-watching so textured. detailed and involving.

I think it's a masterpiece. a masterpiece like Belle De Jour? sure, why not!
uggy poopy doody.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Nov 2017, 20:17

You go to the cinema to see pretty pictures. There are few prettier than Barry Lyndon.

Several years after seeing it I couldn't begin to tell you what the fuck happened, who any of the characters were (there was a duel early on and he got into playing cards). But I remember so many gorgeous visual details. Wonderful stuff.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Screenadelica”