Do talk back

Paul McCartney says "Wings were terrible"

he is absolutely right!
30%
he is absolutely wrong!
18%
he is both right and wrong!
52%
Paul McCartney? Wings? Drop Dead, GRANDPAW!!!
No votes

Total votes: 33

Sneelock

"Wings Were Terrible"

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 16:28

everybody is entitled to an opinion.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/p ... -terrible/
uggy poopy doody.

Bent Fabric

Re: "Wings Were Terrible"

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Nov 2017, 16:35

I don't like many things more than my favorite Wings music, but...a fair bit of it falls quite short of being "my favorite Wings music".

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Nov 2017, 16:36

One of my first shows, so hard to be unbiased. I thought Denny Laine was good complement and Jimmy McCulloch was a hell of a guitar player.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Nov 2017, 16:46

I'm a bit confused. The video clip at the start is from an interview that the BBC conducted a couple of years ago. The same interview is also referenced later in the article. And nowhere in that interview does he say that 'Wings were terrible'.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 16:46

shit, both those guys were good players. it always made me shudder when they were replaced and Linda McCartney bragged that the band sounded "professional" as a result. imagine! Linda McCartney saying you didn't sound professional! ack. a lot of how slick Wings were was because of those guys.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 16:49

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:I'm a bit confused. The video clip at the start is from an interview that the BBC conducted a couple of years ago. The same interview is also referenced later in the article. And nowhere in that interview does he say that 'Wings were terrible'.

ha! you know, I've been reading he said it and grabbed what looked like the first "legit" clip I could find.
maybe he didn't say it. hell, it took me all of two minutes to make the poll. can we just PRETEND he said it?
uggy poopy doody.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Nov 2017, 16:51

Sneelock wrote:imagine! Linda McCartney saying you didn't sound professional!

Yeah, and Joe English (drums, backing vocals) was pretty quick to spill the beans after he left ("It wasn't me or Paul or Denny who spent hours fixing our vocals on Wings Over America.").

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Nov 2017, 16:52

Last edited by Bent Fabric on 03 Nov 2017, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Nov 2017, 16:52

Sneelock wrote:
Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:I'm a bit confused. The video clip at the start is from an interview that the BBC conducted a couple of years ago. The same interview is also referenced later in the article. And nowhere in that interview does he say that 'Wings were terrible'.

ha! you know, I've been reading he said it and grabbed what looked like the first "legit" clip I could find.
maybe he didn't say it. hell, it took me all of two minutes to make the poll. can we just PRETEND he said it?

It's genuinely a strange thing to say. I can't imagine he really said those words.

Then again, who knows? He IS a bit addled these days.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 16:59

I'm finding similar articles with similar deficiencies from over a year ago.
he says all the stuff about having to teach Linda to play and not being very good.
I'm not changing the poll to "not very good" I NEED Paul McCartney to say "wings were terrible" so that my poll (and by extension my life) has meaning.

indulge me.
"wings were terrible"
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Nov 2017, 17:13

Sneelock wrote:

You're the last person I'd expect to condone and perpetuate clickbait.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 17:27

You caught me red handed. If they get a thousand clicks on that page, I get a free digital copy of “London Town”
uggy poopy doody.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Nov 2017, 17:42

Reading the whole thing, I get what he's saying... that he didn't want to put together a band of the hottest session musos that could be had, which would have been easy to do. He wanted to do a band that was comfortable and fun with his wife, that was the primary objective. And he was happy with the result.

Good for him. Tha's kinda punk.

He has that muso band now, and they play his stuff really, really well including the Wings stuff. They keep it simple when it needs to be simple.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 03 Nov 2017, 17:44

The article is a year and a half old; I got fooled into posting it on Facebook where someone busted me on that (of course I picked it up from someone else, etc. etc.) I just put it down to humble-bragging from a guy who (as Bobzilla just said) could have hired any musicians he cared to. Now if he was talking about the material...well, it wasn't Beatles quality, much of it not even Beatle Paul quality. But what is?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Nov 2017, 17:46

Yeah, it's a misleading headline, and anyway it's clear he's talking about Wings as they first formed rather than it being a judgement on their whole career.

As for me, I'm always surprised by the love they get on here. Terrible would be too harsh, but they were bad more often than they were good. I'd say generally Macca has been better as a solo artist ( although you could argue he was essentially a solo artist under the banner of Wings).

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Nov 2017, 17:47

Sneelock wrote:You caught me red handed. If they get a thousand clicks on that page, I get a free digital copy of “London Town”

:lol:

You say that like it's a good thing. . .

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 03 Nov 2017, 17:48

There's only one really front-to-back great Wings album, but plenty of good songs dotted across the others. His strike rate since hasn't been that much better.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 03 Nov 2017, 17:51

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sneelock wrote:You caught me red handed. If they get a thousand clicks on that page, I get a free digital copy of “London Town”

:lol:

You say that like it's a good thing. . .

"Don't Let It Bring You Down" is one of my very favourite McCartney songs. The phased acoustic guitars, Jimmy's winding lead guitar. Woozy and terrific.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Nov 2017, 17:56

Moleskin wrote:There's only one really front-to-back great Wings album

That many?

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 03 Nov 2017, 17:58

Charlie O. wrote:
Moleskin wrote:There's only one really front-to-back great Wings album

That many?

Well, it's arguably barely Wings at all. Just Paul, Denny and Linda. So basically Paul doing all the heavy lifting. :D
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Return to “Yakety Yak”