Stranger Things

..and why not?

Stranger Things

Postby ... » 17 Jul 2016, 14:56

Sat down and went through the first 5 (of 8) episodes of this Netflix original series yesterday. Damn good it was, too...

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Stranger Things

Postby yomptepi » 17 Jul 2016, 19:38

watching this now. very good. Nice to see Wynona Ryder working again.
You don't like me...do you?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 18 Jul 2016, 00:05

I watched it and it's deadly dull, with a capital D.

It seems to be attempting to position itself midway between a sub-Stephen King knock off (as if the the real thing wasn't crap enough anyway) and one of the more tedious X-Files episodes. All stretched out to a series.

Memo to Netflix: if you're going to advertise something as "Original Programming", at least try and make sure it is original, not a tired, crap pastiche.
:roll:

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 18 Jul 2016, 17:04

we are eally enjoying it. Four episodes in, and I think it has real charm and suspense. And I love the whole Upside Down thing.

If you want dull, try the truly stultifying dusk til Dawn series. An hour felt like a week...

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Jul 2016, 12:49

We're about 4-5 episodes in. I definitely don't find it dull. At most, I found it pushing the boundaries of believability (well...) once the cop goes rogue and breaks into the science centre. As with so many programmes set in the modern past, however, it's sometimes a bit too in your face with it's cultural touchpoints...and it's a bit too obvious in its reverence for King, Carpenter, Spielberg etc (although I absolutely love the opening titles and some of the theme music, however much of a pastiche they may be). Every scene feels like it needs to make sure that it's clear the viewer is watching something set in 1983...and I'm pretty sure the actor who plays Nancy Wheeler was only chosen because of her striking resemblance to Ferris Bueller's girlfriend.

Otherwise, I like the set-up, the mix between teen horror, children's adventure, and adult murder mystery. It's nice to see teens playing teens, or at least allowing the teens to have acne, bad skin and bad dress sense. It is nice to see Winona back - but she's not given much room to do except cry and scream which gets a bit tiring. Still, I like it - never thought something like this would ever be (re)created.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Aug 2016, 11:02

Loved the entire thing from beginning to end. Despite the genuinely creepy moments and strange atmosphere it’s such a comforting show for me. It’s like putting on my favourite jumper. An 80s mystery full of Spielbergian tropes, a John Carpenter-esque synth score, everything shot from a low angle, moody lighting, awesome characters, great storytelling, excellent acting (the girl who played El was especially brilliant). It wears its influences on its sleeve and it’s all the better for it! The whole thing reminds me of being a kid and falling in love with cinema.

The only thing I disliked was the CGI [redacted for spoilers] towards the end. At one point a couple of the characters are watching John Carpenter's The Thing (imo the greatest horror film ever made) and one of them comments about how disgusting and realistic the prosthetics are. This show could've used some of that old school practical effects for certain things, not only because it'd keep it in line with the 80s influences it loves so much but simply because it does look better anyway.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 12 Aug 2016, 16:31

It's soundtrack seems to be getting rave reviews too.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Aug 2016, 21:04

Halfway through and very much enjoying it. The soundtrack is definitely part of the appeal.

One slight issue with a couple of plot points regarding Jonathan, the weirdy older brother:
'Should I Stay Or Should I Go' is a strange song to have as an example of outsider music. Was it not a hit in the USA? The Clash definitely had some hits - would they not be comparatively familiar to teenagers by 1983?
And plotwise, let's face it, the girl who's dating the cool guy at school is not going to feel sympathetic and get chatty with the pervy guy who she finds was hanging out in the woods taking photos of her through her boyfriend's bedroom window. She's going to want said boyfriend to kill the douche.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 13 Aug 2016, 15:59

I think the Clash song was a hit quite a while after it was released. (on the back of a Jeans commercial in 1991). So at the time it might have been an unusual record to like.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Aug 2016, 22:31

PENK wrote:'Should I Stay Or Should I Go' is a strange song to have as an example of outsider music. Was it not a hit in the USA? The Clash definitely had some hits - would they not be comparatively familiar to teenagers by 1983?

Speaking as an American who was a teenager in 1983, I can say yes, that was a familiar song at the time.

According to Wikipedia, it just missed the top 40, but hot on the heels of the top 10 "Rock the Casbah," The Clash were pretty widely well known over here.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Aug 2016, 00:06

also, the song was used in a TV Advertising campaign for Bob's Big Boy. They were having an "election" on whether they should get rid of the Bob at Bob's Big Boy. that song was in all the commercials but He instead of I. cute?
uggy poopy doody.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Aug 2016, 15:58

Quite a nice overview...and that Benguiat is still alive to enjoy the renaissance!

http://collider.com/stranger-things-fon ... idersocial
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Aug 2016, 16:07

Snarfyguy wrote:
PENK wrote:'Should I Stay Or Should I Go' is a strange song to have as an example of outsider music. Was it not a hit in the USA? The Clash definitely had some hits - would they not be comparatively familiar to teenagers by 1983?

Speaking as an American who was a teenager in 1983, I can say yes, that was a familiar song at the time.

According to Wikipedia, it just missed the top 40, but hot on the heels of the top 10 "Rock the Casbah," The Clash were pretty widely well known over here.

Not sure it's very strange - firstly I would expect an older brother would probably try to give a younger brother more palatable/poppy music to ease his way into proper outsider/independent music. Secondly, I think it makes more realistic to have music like that - which ultimately hit the charts - than some forced hipster-curated obscurity.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Aug 2016, 21:42

Well, the other kids also refer to it as "that weird song he likes" and so on...

Small matter, though! I enjoyed the series a lot. Interesting given that a lot of its appeal is based on nostalgia that the Duffer Brothers, like me, were actually born in 1984, a year after the series is set.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Aug 2016, 09:50

PENK wrote:Well, the other kids also refer to it as "that weird song he likes" and so on...

Small matter, though! I enjoyed the series a lot. Interesting given that a lot of its appeal is based on nostalgia that the Duffer Brothers, like me, were actually born in 1984, a year after the series is set.

I didn't realise that - interesting. (and didn't realise you were so young!)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 22 Aug 2016, 19:58

PENK wrote:Interesting given that a lot of its appeal is based on nostalgia that the Duffer Brothers, like me, were actually born in 1984, a year after the series is set.

It clearly shows. There is very little chance a kid in rural bumfuck wherever in 1983 would have been able to see The Evil Dead, much less be able to find a pristine movie poster to hang in their room. As a film nerd kid during the early 90's in bumfuck Minnesota, I can attest that it was hard to find movie posters then. I remember searching frantically for years for an Escape From New York or Halloween III poster to no success.

When I saw that Evil Dead poster on the wall I rolled my eyes so hard. :roll:

If you are going to hang your hat on nostalgia, at least make it believable. And some of the music cues are pretty lame too. That use of Joy Division's Atmosphere was pretty awful. I blurted out loud "Go Fuck Yourself" as soon as that started playing. I almost stopped watching at that point.

But the story is pulpy enough to kind of keep me somewhat interested. When the kids endlessly fight with each other though.... that really tests my patience. I may finish the last two episodes tonight.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Feb 2017, 09:44

I'm enjoying it 4 episodes in, even if it's basically the netflix equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Feb 2017, 20:45

I really want to see this but I don't have Netflix.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 09:20

I’ve finished the first season.

I like it, it’s good but it’s some way off being great.

It’s all a bit clichéd and easy to predict but it’s likeable and the kids are good. You do have to suspend your disbelief quite a bit though.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2017, 15:59

yomptepi wrote:I think the Clash song was a hit quite a while after it was released. (on the back of a Jeans commercial in 1991). So at the time it might have been an unusual record to like.

No it wasn't. All the singles from Sandinista were really popular from the git-go. Remember, the Clash played Shea on the back of that album's popularity.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Screenadelica”