62%
O
38%

Total votes: 13

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Stan vs Ollie

Postby naughty boy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:15

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rayge

Re: Stan vs Ollie

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 13:19

This shall not stand
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 02 Nov 2017, 13:21

Impossible choice -

yet I voted for Ollie, because I tend to identify more with him. A man of elegance and grandeur, even in the direst of circumstances. And he could sign a contract or cheque with unparalleled virtuosity.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Nov 2017, 13:38

Ollie.
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 13:48

Jimbo wrote:Ollie.

He would disagree with you. He readily acknowledged Stan's role as the writer, director and leading role in the partnership. As far as ONH was concerned, he was a hired hand, and Stan was a genius. While he was unduly modest about his own abilities, his view of Stan pretty much lines up with mine.
As for liking one more than the other, and putting them against one another like this in a way they never were in real life, well, it's a disgrace. As a son of Cumbria, Coan should know this. I suspect mischief.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:51

Can’t have one without the other...
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:54

Yeah, yeah.

I just find Ollie much funnier on-screen. In fact - despite his huge talents - I never thought Stan Laurel was an especially gifted comic actor.

Love them both, mind.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Nov 2017, 14:26

Gods, borh of them.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 14:30

I was thinking about this the other day funnily enough.

Of course Davey is right and you can't have one without the other, they were both comic genius' etc. but still I've always loved Ollie that bit more.

It's not true to say Ollie was the straight man and Stan the funny one, but I can understand how this generalisation arises because their comedy was structured in a particular way. Basically Stan was the innocent clown and would do something (usually unintentionally, though not always) to thwart/ exasperaste/or even physically hurt Ollie, who would then look to the camera in disgust or defeat.
I think I love Ollie because I've always been attracted to pathos and Ollie could register it with just a look in a hundred different ways. Just look at various photos of him...https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=olive ... 80&bih=918. He had so many ways of conveying a profound disappointment with the world and his place in it. I find that very poignant as well as funny. He always cracked me up when he did that flirting thing with a women, fiddling with his tie in that silly way and trying to put an angelic expression on his face. It's such a bizarre thing to do, I love it.

So Ollie then..but I love Stan too!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 14:33

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
And he could sign a contract or cheque with unparalleled virtuosity.

:lol: Yes! He'd do it with a real flourish and make great show of dotting it!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 14:37

Has anyone ever done being scared more humorously than Stan and Ollie..I always love their scenes when they're terrified and trying to hide.
I could talk about them all day.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Nov 2017, 14:42

The Modernist wrote:He had so many ways of conveying a profound disappointment with the world and his place in it. I find that very poignant as well as funny. He always cracked me up when he did that flirting thing with a women, fiddling with his tie in that silly way and trying to put an angelic expression on his face. It's such a bizarre thing to do, I love it.

Yes, I agree completely.

I love the raging Ollie too - the one you see yelling ‘will you do something to HELP me?!?’ from under a pile of broken wood. Just beautiful.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 02 Nov 2017, 14:54

The Modernist wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
And he could sign a contract or cheque with unparalleled virtuosity.

:lol: Yes! He'd do it with a real flourish and make great show of dotting it!

:D

Thank you! Ollie's signing reminds of of what a hairdresser used to do: to hold his scissors up in the empty air, and make cutting movements in that void, to 'introduce', or 'signify' what he would be actually doing in a few seconds. Ollie did that with the pen: making impressive circles with his fountain pen, before really touching the paper.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Nov 2017, 16:10

nice to see Ollie singled out. he was an exceptional straight man. still "can't have one without the other" has GOT to be the right answer. Stan's beautiful stupidity and Ollie's visible frustration work their magic on me time and time again. I just love those guys.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Nov 2017, 16:21

my daugher walked in on me watching "way out west" when she was maybe 5. she is in her twenties now & still loves it to this day.
uggy poopy doody.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 19:00

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Obviously it's both. They transcend time. I'm considering the complete box set as my children need to experience these giants.

I recommend it, but it's not quite complete, it's missing the features. Several of those are missable, but to this day I've only seen Babes in Toyland once, as a boy.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 02 Nov 2017, 19:14

Sneelock wrote:my daugher walked in on me watching "way out west" when she was maybe 5. she is in her twenties now & still loves it to this day.

Great story.

A friend of mine is fan too. Long ago he and his wife adopted two small children (orphans) from China. I'll never forget the evening, years later, when he told me that the two little girls had become fans too, young as they were. At the dining table, one of them grasped what we were talking about, and she immediately started mimicking: Eyesy-Earsy-Kneesy-Winkie (I hope I got this right), Stan's routine. My friend then told me that at that time, "A Chump At Oxford" was her favourite.

It's so great: warm good humour that transcends time and space.

(The father of that friend of mine had suffered from moodiness and depression, when my friend himself was a kid. There were few things that could cheer him up - watching Stan & Ollie was one of these.)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Nov 2017, 19:30

The Modernist wrote:Has anyone ever done being scared more humorously than Stan and Ollie..I always love their scenes when they're terrified and trying to hide.

..accompanied by 'wooaaaahhh' noises, yes! (I always do this whenever I cross a busy road)

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 20:42

Sneelock wrote:nice to see Ollie singled out. he was an exceptional straight man.

Except I wouldn't call him a straight man.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Nov 2017, 20:50

Ok, you tell me why you wouldn’t call him a straight man & I’ll tell you why I would.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Nextdoorland”