Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2017, 17:43

My favorite video of last 24 hours

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Samoan

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 26 Oct 2017, 17:46

sloopjohnc wrote:
Samoan wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Home prices in the San Francisco Bay Area. And you wonder why I bought in Oregon. . .

I live in Alameda Co. and grew up in San Mateo Co.

If I told you the current prices of houses in the specific neighbourhood where I grew up (and where Mum and Dad lived till 1996), you'd faint.

The thing is, except for some affluent enclaves, the Peninsula or San Mateo County was where firefighters, cops, blue collar/skilled trade employees and folks who worked in Aerospace or nascent Silicon Valley with families had modest houses. Sure, there was Hillsborough and Atherton, two of the most affluent communities in the US here, but by and large, it was working class. My mom and dad went a year to community college before getting jobs. One person in my family had ever gone to college before us kids came.

Our neighbours also had a wide range of jobs, livelihoods and educational backgrounds. The area got fashionable once inner city Victorian and Edwardian property became desirable to renovate. Dad had moved there in the early fifties well before that.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Oct 2017, 10:54

Last day at work today. Moving to Bristol on Monday.
Woohoo!
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Oct 2017, 13:03

WG Kaspar wrote:Last day at work today. Moving to Bristol on Monday.
Woohoo!

Congrats on the last day, unlucky with the move. ;)
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 18:24

Woohoo!

Make sure you're upwind from Jumper K's place.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 18:49

Before work and school today, my son and I watched the Sponge Bob episode, Doodle Bob. One of the funniest.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Oct 2017, 23:53

I sometimes forget how old I am when making jokes at the office. We had our fiscal year presentation and our CEO, who considers himself a bit of a comedian, told a couple jokes during it. On the walk back to our cubicles, I said to my younger co-worker, "Iain reminds me of the opening comic on a Bob Hope USO Tour."

She said, "Who, what?"

The same woman, Alex, wore checkered vans today and I said, "Going full-on Spicolli today with your shoes, huh?" as a reference to the character Jeff Spiccolli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Again, nothing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Oct 2017, 00:08

Whatever, Grampa.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Oct 2017, 09:52

Woohoo!

Good luck, Theo x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Oct 2017, 09:58

Just off to see my mum , who has moved to a nursing home in Midhurst for some recuperative care. She is much better, and hopefully will be going home soon. Which is whole new set of challenges. Still. Think of the experience I am gaining.
You don't like me...do you?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Oct 2017, 10:25

That at least is good news. Hope she stays strong and you have some quality time ahead.

I'm taking a week of work, recharging the batteries ahead of the busy Christmas retail season. Been pondering on having a few medical tests taken- I am not ill at all, I actually feel as strong as ever, but I recently took part in a bowel cancer test of which i expect results in the next few weeks and am wondering if it is worthwhile to do a few more checks....after all, my parents both dies of cancer and there always is an elevated risk in these things when you get to be middle aged (or, as, Dutch comedian Kees van Kooten would say, an 'elderly youth'. )
Anyway, going to the city and enjoy the Robert Mapplethorpe-exhibit at the Art Museum of Sydney tomorrow.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Oct 2017, 11:13

never/ever wrote: am wondering if it is worthwhile to do a few more checks

Yes yes and yes.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Oct 2017, 16:28

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Whatever, Grampa.

:lol:
:cry:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Oct 2017, 00:32

yomptepi wrote:Just off to see my mum , who has moved to a nursing home in Midhurst for some recuperative care. She is much better, and hopefully will be going home soon. Which is whole new set of challenges. Still. Think of the experience I am gaining.

Hope all goes well x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Oct 2017, 00:11

It seems that recently when friends are having trouble with their marriages, they contact me and want to have lunch. A friend I've known since elementary school emailed me last week and we had lunch at a local place near his house. A couple weeks ago it was another old friend.

It seems his 14 year-old daughter has become dismissive and contemptuous of him and his wife sides with her. He feels alone, doesn't like that his immediate family are treating him like crap and doesn't know what to do. But his family are the most important thing to him and doesn't want to lose them. He cried a few times at lunch over his situation and I felt badly he was in so much pain.

His daughter goes to a prestigious prep school on scholarship and both my buddy and his wife are really smart. He's a freelance writer who writes mainly for Stanford's departments of education and his wife is a digital media producer for a regional metro newspaper. He used to be the rock reviewer and tech columnist for the San Jose Mercury.

He's going over his situation with four best friends, which I didn't know I was even one, to get their take. The guy he consulted with before me was Joel Selvin, longtime rock critic for the SF Chronicle. I'm like the only regular guy of his friends - there's the retired rock critic and author, a media analyst and Harvard Business School guy, a famous food editor and author and me, who's known him the longest.

He tends to be a pretty intense guy and I told him to ease off the pedal. He is putting a lot of pressure on his daughter and talks about "wins," which makes me think he needs to have his way in some of these things. I told him he has to let his daughter, although she's really smart, fuck up. With such an expensive education for his daughter, he's kinda loathe to do that. I had to remind him if he would've listened to his dad and he laughed and said, "No." I feel for the guy.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Oct 2017, 06:16

14- a shit age to be a parent to. Brats that don't listen to anyone. Don't think she needs to fuck up, just a chance to prove herself. Ease off seems the best advice indeed.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Oct 2017, 15:27

never/ever wrote:14- a shit age to be a parent to. Brats that don't listen to anyone. Don't think she needs to fuck up, just a chance to prove herself. Ease off seems the best advice indeed.

That's what I gently tried telling him.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Oct 2017, 19:21

Stomach says pizza but my heart/mind says nope, got to cut down on that shit.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 01 Nov 2017, 11:10

sloopjohnc wrote:It seems that recently when friends are having trouble with their marriages, they contact me and want to have lunch. A friend I've known since elementary school emailed me last week and we had lunch at a local place near his house. A couple weeks ago it was another old friend.

It seems his 14 year-old daughter has become dismissive and contemptuous of him and his wife sides with her. He feels alone, doesn't like that his immediate family are treating him like crap and doesn't know what to do. But his family are the most important thing to him and doesn't want to lose them. He cried a few times at lunch over his situation and I felt badly he was in so much pain.

His daughter goes to a prestigious prep school on scholarship and both my buddy and his wife are really smart. He's a freelance writer who writes mainly for Stanford's departments of education and his wife is a digital media producer for a regional metro newspaper. He used to be the rock reviewer and tech columnist for the San Jose Mercury.

He's going over his situation with four best friends, which I didn't know I was even one, to get their take. The guy he consulted with before me was Joel Selvin, longtime rock critic for the SF Chronicle. I'm like the only regular guy of his friends - there's the retired rock critic and author, a media analyst and Harvard Business School guy, a famous food editor and author and me, who's known him the longest.

He tends to be a pretty intense guy and I told him to ease off the pedal. He is putting a lot of pressure on his daughter and talks about "wins," which makes me think he needs to have his way in some of these things. I told him he has to let his daughter, although she's really smart, fuck up. With such an expensive education for his daughter, he's kinda loathe to do that. I had to remind him if he would've listened to his dad and he laughed and said, "No." I feel for the guy.

My friends and I are all hitting our 40s, and this kind of stuff is happening all over the place.

Marriages are becoming tougher and tougher, and many people I know are extremely torn over whether to stay together primarily for the sake of the kids/family, or make a break. Most of them are sticking with it, but with a huge degree of sadness and regret.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Nov 2017, 16:04

Geezee wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:It seems that recently when friends are having trouble with their marriages, they contact me and want to have lunch. A friend I've known since elementary school emailed me last week and we had lunch at a local place near his house. A couple weeks ago it was another old friend.

My friends and I are all hitting our 40s, and this kind of stuff is happening all over the place.

Marriages are becoming tougher and tougher, and many people I know are extremely torn over whether to stay together primarily for the sake of the kids/family, or make a break. Most of them are sticking with it, but with a huge degree of sadness and regret.

I only found out a couple years later that my daughter was very relieved when my wife and I divorced. Because both of our parents had stayed together, I think my wife and I had this fealty towards marriage, thinking it was better for the kids if we were together. I put the kibosh on the marriage because I didn't want the kids to think marriage was a bad thing.

My ex and I get along, but we both try and get along - some couples don't really try and use the kids as bargaining chips. I think that is terrible.

Return to “Nextdoorland”