Dylan - Trouble No More - Bootleg Series Vol 13

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Dylan - Trouble No More - Bootleg Series Vol 13

Postby naughty boy » 19 Oct 2017, 23:58

Out next Tuesday:

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 20 Oct 2017, 22:15

R. Swipe wrote:Out next Tuesday:

I subscribe so hoping mine arrives in the morning.

Really like this:

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 21 Oct 2017, 08:52

I love the Bootleg Series, but this is the first one I'm giving a miss. Simply put, there's not enough music in this era that interests me, and all the nice packaging can't disguise the fact that his muse was largely running dry around this point. I'm surprised they haven't yet done a Bootleg Series on the original New York sessions for Blood On The Tracks- now that would be worth my money. Actually we should do a poll as to posters' favourites in the Bootleg Series. I imagine the Live "At the Royal Albert Hall"1966 disc will come out tops though.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 21 Oct 2017, 12:35

The Write Profile wrote: I'm surprised they haven't yet done a Bootleg Series on the original New York sessions for Blood On The Tracks- now that would be worth my money.

Did he not do some low-key acoustic shows around the time of BOTT? I definitely remember reading something in Mojo about it years ago but just realised I've never heard them. I'd pay money for that. The New York sessions are a bit more intimate and less "albumy" and all the better for it.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 21 Oct 2017, 21:48

I'd like the Supper Club stuff released too. And the full Billy the Kid stuff, and the David Bromberg LP.

One positive thing about this issue is I'd given up on seeing any more post 1970 Dylan in this series. Though I can't see this changing the mind of anyone at Sony about the commercial viability of that stuff.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 21 Oct 2017, 22:01

The Blood on the Tracks bootleg keeps getting mentioned. I don't personally see how that album and the New York sessions alone would be enough - seeing that these are now more than 2cd sets. I suspect there maybe more weight in a 1974-1976 studio set that covers Planet Waves through Desire. Plenty of outtakes there, would be a great set. Surprised the 79/81 era is pushing ahead of that but it is suggested that BOTT will be vol.14.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Oct 2017, 17:52

Darryl Strawberry wrote:...Shit of Love...

Nary a stinker among them.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Oct 2017, 13:57

Concerto/Plato website from Holland has the 8cd/dvd box for 85 € at the moment.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 27 Oct 2017, 03:23

What I want, what I really really want is an affordable, relatively set of Dylan with the Heartbreakers.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 28 Oct 2017, 20:41

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Oct 2017, 20:25

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Oct 2017, 20:26

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Oct 2017, 20:28

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Oct 2017, 20:33

I think thats 6 tracks available now on youtube and of course the online samplers, which is doing the trick, does make me want the whole bloody set but i'll stick with my plan of getting the 2cd on Christmas day from the kids and i'm sure someone will post the MP3 of the rest online at some point. Maybe, maybe not. I've heard its slipped below £100 in some placed. Would need to be a £60 jobby for me to be seriously tempted in the full set,

Problem is, the live and rehearsal stuff sounds pretty damn good. But i cant see this being as essential as Another Self Portrait, Complete Basement Tapes and Cutting Edge.........................doesnt stop me wanting it though.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Oct 2017, 20:34

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 03 Nov 2017, 21:52

I want it, these bloody videos dont help.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 07 Nov 2017, 05:05

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Bit disappointing.......only live, no studio recordings? Thats the issue for me.I bought the 6cd versions of the last 3, all were superb but this is not so essential. I may still get pulled in to getting the big set but if not 2cd will do and will get a download of the rest later on.

The consensus seems to be that his live band at this time with Jim Keltner etc. regularly played much better, more muscular versions of tracks that didn't always get their due in the studio so it's probably the most logical way to approach a Bootleg Series edition of this period. Not saying I'd listen to the lot myself, I'd much rather have a complete Blood on the Tracks and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 08 Nov 2017, 13:23

Got the full 6cd version for my birthday and enjoying it immensely. I do have a fairly strong antipathy towards religious sentiment, but can always enjoy impassioned gospel, soul and country music, so this set is not a problem for me. Have always loved 'Slow Train Coming' in Bob's discography (the other 2 'christian' albums a bit less so) so hearing these powerful live performances really enhances my appreciation of that whole period. The live material is excellent and the band is superb across all the shows and tours. Great gospel backing singers and Dylan sounds really fired up vocally. A lot of the songs change markedly from version to version across the gigs with Dylan reworking the lyrics and melodies to great effect. The material from 'Saved' and 'Shot Of Love' is very strongly presented here and easily outshines the rather pallid studio versions. The boxed set is very listenable as you go from disc to disc and you do not feel fatigue from hearing the same songs done over and over on each cd. Bob and his band(s) seem to find new and fascinating ways to realise these songs across these tours and shows. For all the Christian sentiment supposedly on show, it is pretty sour stuff all in, with a lot of fire and brimstone and finger pointing from the main man. He does not sound like a man finding comfort in the arms of religion and a higher power; he sounds like a bitter preacher raining fury down on his congregation, warning them of their impending damnation. Blood and Fire!
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 Nov 2017, 16:09

HarryIrene wrote:Got the full 6cd version for my birthday and enjoying it immensely. I do have a fairly strong antipathy towards religious sentiment, but can always enjoy impassioned gospel, soul and country music, so this set is not a problem for me. Have always loved 'Slow Train Coming' in Bob's discography (the other 2 'christian' albums a bit less so) so hearing these powerful live performances really enhances my appreciation of that whole period. The live material is excellent and the band is superb across all the shows and tours. Great gospel backing singers and Dylan sounds really fired up vocally. A lot of the songs change markedly from version to version across the gigs with Dylan reworking the lyrics and melodies to great effect. The material from 'Saved' and 'Shot Of Love' is very strongly presented here and easily outshines the rather pallid studio versions. The boxed set is very listenable as you go from disc to disc and you do not feel fatigue from hearing the same songs done over and over on each cd. Bob and his band(s) seem to find new and fascinating ways to realise these songs across these tours and shows. For all the Christian sentiment supposedly on show, it is pretty sour stuff all in, with a lot of fire and brimstone and finger pointing from the main man. He does not sound like a man finding comfort in the arms of religion and a higher power; he sounds like a bitter preacher raining fury down on his congregation, warning them of their impending damnation. Blood and Fire!

Surely you mean the 8cd/1dvd version?

I'll make do with the 2cd version for the moment as the big box is on order since it's sold out everywhere.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Nov 2017, 16:57

It's not sold out.

Return to “Yakety Yak”