funniest of these

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

ha ha

small, far away
3
14%
Biggus Dickus
11
50%
the dance
2
9%
Flashheart
3
14%
Murray
3
14%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19153
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: funniest of these

Postby Earl E. Eel » 13 Oct 2017, 10:52

Putting 'clever' into comedy is like putting 'craftsmanship' into music. Suffocating.
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32699
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: funniest of these

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Oct 2017, 10:58

It can be a pain sometimes. Like when the point of the joke is to actually impress people rather than make them laugh.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23193
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: funniest of these

Postby Deebank » 13 Oct 2017, 11:04

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:Putting 'clever' into comedy is like putting 'craftsmanship' into music. Suffocating.


It's public school boy humour and if it wasn't John Cleese doing the irate latin master routine it wouldn't stand up at all.

Perhaps I heard it too many times on the LP to find it really funny now.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19153
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: funniest of these

Postby Earl E. Eel » 13 Oct 2017, 11:04

Goat Boy wrote:It can be a pain sometimes. Like when the point of the joke is to actually impress people rather than make them laugh.


Yeah.

There's a great tradition going back to Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde, but I much prefer to see people smacking each other over the head. And the interesting thing is, the stupidest stuff is often made by the sharpest minds.
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67038
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: funniest of these

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Oct 2017, 12:21

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:Putting 'clever' into comedy is like putting 'craftsmanship' into music. Suffocating.


That's really some kind of utter bollocks, isn't it?

Comedy has to be dumb, is that it?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 939
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: funniest of these

Postby hippopotamus » 13 Oct 2017, 12:27

Diamond Dog wrote:
ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:Putting 'clever' into comedy is like putting 'craftsmanship' into music. Suffocating.


That's really some kind of utter bollocks, isn't it?

Comedy has to be dumb, is that it?



I think comedy has to appeal to something basic, but there are lots of ways to be ridiculous.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12668
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: funniest of these

Postby The Modernist » 13 Oct 2017, 12:28

Not dumb necessarily, but I think it needs to be instinctive. Comedy that has been overly 'worked on' rarely tends to be funny, that's the main reason most sitcoms fail I think.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67038
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: funniest of these

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Oct 2017, 12:28

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:but I much prefer to see people smacking each other over the head. And the interesting thing is, the stupidest stuff is often made by the sharpest minds.


Like the repeated slaps of Chapman's head by Cleese's character, you mean?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19153
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: funniest of these

Postby Earl E. Eel » 13 Oct 2017, 12:31

The Fish-Slapping Dance, you mean?

Or Basil smacking Manuel?
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23410
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: funniest of these

Postby Toby » 13 Oct 2017, 13:03

The Modernist wrote:Not dumb necessarily, but I think it needs to be instinctive. Comedy that has been overly 'worked on' rarely tends to be funny, that's the main reason most sitcoms fail I think.


This is plain poppycock. There are no rules to this sort of thing.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23410
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: funniest of these

Postby Toby » 13 Oct 2017, 13:05

I mean, if it's instinctive comedy that we're talking about, then that sketch in Only Fools in Horses where Del falls through the gap in the bar would be heralded by all as the best thing ever. It's not, it's funny for about 5 seconds and that's it.

The Romans go home sketch is very public school in the way Cleese acts as the classic Latin teacher, but the central premise of the joke is universal.

User avatar
gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16987
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: funniest of these

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 13 Oct 2017, 13:11

Last edited by gash’s trollish obsession on 13 Oct 2017, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19153
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: funniest of these

Postby Earl E. Eel » 13 Oct 2017, 13:12

Toby wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Not dumb necessarily, but I think it needs to be instinctive. Comedy that has been overly 'worked on' rarely tends to be funny, that's the main reason most sitcoms fail I think.


This is plain poppycock. There are no rules to this sort of thing.


No, I think G's right.

Of course there are exceptions, but as laughter is such a basic impulse, surely it makes sense that the best way to elicit it is through something spontaneous.
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

User avatar
gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16987
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: funniest of these

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 13 Oct 2017, 13:17

Or more accurately something that appears spontaneous because of the writing/performing.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32699
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: funniest of these

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Oct 2017, 13:25

neville from norwich wrote:Or more accurately something that appears spontaneous because of the writing/performing.



The AJA approach.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16987
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: funniest of these

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 13 Oct 2017, 13:31

Shush, G is watching.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19153
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: funniest of these

Postby Earl E. Eel » 13 Oct 2017, 13:42

neville from norwich wrote:Or more accurately something that appears spontaneous because of the writing/performing.


Aye
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23410
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: funniest of these

Postby Toby » 13 Oct 2017, 14:09

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:Of course there are exceptions, but as laughter is such a basic impulse, surely it makes sense that the best way to elicit it is through something spontaneous.


Much of the best TV/film comedy of the last 50 years has been through the creation of social archetypes that we observe in mostly realistic scenarios. Slapstick comedy has its moments, but it belongs to a different age I feel. I mean, I still love Hulot and Chaplin and sometimes they do seem like utter giants compared to others, but that's because they were in the cinema and as such attracted in the main, a universal audience. Everyone loved Chaplin.

But pure, scripted slapstick today just appears dated to me. We've evolved to a situation where genuine error appears funnier (that US show where people do stupid stuff for laughs but I can't remember what it's called) or countless youtube compilations where people or cats do stupid, unscripted stuff. That's not comedy in the strict sense but it makes me laugh, because yes, as you say, it's spontaneous.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63495
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: funniest of these

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 16:39

The Modernist wrote:Not dumb necessarily, but I think it needs to be instinctive. Comedy that has been overly 'worked on' rarely tends to be funny, that's the main reason most sitcoms fail I think.


Comedians will take months or years to get a joke perfect or make it sound "natural.'

There's a new show out called Jerry before Seinfeld where he does all his original jokes and bits in front of a crowd - the ones he wrote before Seinfeld.

He has kept every joke he's ever written, 10,000 or so he says, which is laid out on a street in the show's opening and ending. Joan Rivers did the same thing. She had a huge file cabinet full of her "instinctive" humor, always honing it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12668
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: funniest of these

Postby The Modernist » 13 Oct 2017, 16:58

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Not dumb necessarily, but I think it needs to be instinctive. Comedy that has been overly 'worked on' rarely tends to be funny, that's the main reason most sitcoms fail I think.


Comedians will take months or years to get a joke perfect or make it sound "natural.'
.


Sometimes changing the odd word can really make a difference in the delivery, but a lot humour is about unpredictability and spontaneity and overworking it kills all that.