MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 21:46

yomptepi wrote:Thoroughly irritated today. I have been trying to get a plumber to fit a new boiler in my house for about three years. The first one wanted nearly six grand, and thought it perfectly normal to pay his operatives over a thousand pounds a day each for the job, which he said would take two days. I disagreed. Eventually another plumber did responded to my email, and quoted me two grand for the job. ( Boiler is about £800.00.) They also were to move a radiator and fix the upstairs toilet. They arrived this morning, brimming with confidence, on time, and sure of their brief.

When I came home , the boiler has been installed in the wrong place. ( far too low and way over to the left). The radiator in the bedroom has been replaced like for like, so the new bed still does not fit. Why would you do that? I explained the whole reason for replacing the radiator was so the bed fitted, and the new one is even more intrusive on the beds space. For Fuck's sake. As for the boiler, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

Anyway, they will have to do all of the work again. Which is more stress on an already threadbare bear. I am shaking with irritation.

On the up side, they have fixed the loo...

:lol:

One out of three ain't bad.

I'd be angry too - one seems like common sense and the other you told them the reason.

Oy Vey.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 Oct 2017, 22:17

I have a new supervisor who e-mailed me today to put a date in my diary for December 2019.
This is awful.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

NMB

Postby NMB » 11 Oct 2017, 22:37

yomptepi wrote:Thoroughly irritated today. I have been trying to get a plumber to fit a new boiler in my house for about three years. The first one wanted nearly six grand, and thought it perfectly normal to pay his operatives over a thousand pounds a day each for the job, which he said would take two days. I disagreed. Eventually another plumber did responded to my email, and quoted me two grand for the job. ( Boiler is about £800.00.) They also were to move a radiator and fix the upstairs toilet. They arrived this morning, brimming with confidence, on time, and sure of their brief.

When I came home , the boiler has been installed in the wrong place. ( far too low and way over to the left). The radiator in the bedroom has been replaced like for like, so the new bed still does not fit. Why would you do that? I explained the whole reason for replacing the radiator was so the bed fitted, and the new one is even more intrusive on the beds space. For Fuck's sake. As for the boiler, I cannot imagine what they were thinking.

Anyway, they will have to do all of the work again. Which is more stress on an already threadbare bear. I am shaking with irritation.

On the up side, they have fixed the loo...

I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.
turn on, tune in, nod off

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Oct 2017, 23:40

NMB wrote:
I was expecting a builder today to give me a quote for damp repairs. He didn’t turn up.

I am a builder, and even I couldn't find a bloody plumber!!! I have asked all of our regular tradesmen to carry out the work, but for some reason it never seems to be convenient, even though I always stress that I am happy to pay the going rate and don't expect favours. This plumber is a friend of the next door neighbours, and has cancelled the installation three times already. The only upside is that my wife now appreciates how hard it is to get people to do any work for you these days.
You don't like me...do you?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 11 Oct 2017, 23:44

yomptepi wrote:
NMB wrote:

I am a builder, and even I couldn't find a bloody plumber!!! I have asked all of our regular tradesmen to carry out the work, but for some reason it never seems to be convenient, even though I always stress that I am happy to pay the going rate and don't expect favours. This plumber is a friend of the next door neighbours, and has cancelled the installation three times already. The only upside is that my wife now appreciates how hard it is to get people to do any work for you these days.

My parents had a flood from an old pipe bursting (or something) in their kitchen in May. She had no running water, or usuable kitchen surface until last week. For about 4 months she's been having to wash the dishes in the little sink in the downstairs toilet with the help of a bucket.
All for want of trying to find people who will finish the job, and not make the situation worse.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Oct 2017, 23:49

hippopotamus wrote:
My parents had a flood from an old pipe bursting (or something) in their kitchen in May. She had no running water, or usuable kitchen surface until last week. For about 4 months she's been having to wash the dishes in the little sink in the downstairs toilet with the help of a bucket.
All for want of trying to find people who will finish the job, and not make the situation worse.

Plumbers really are the worst. :(
You don't like me...do you?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Oct 2017, 12:48

sloopjohnc wrote:The SF Bay Area dropped down two markets as a TV market. I would bet it's because way fewer people watch stuff on TV in this area.

:idea:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

NMB

Postby NMB » 12 Oct 2017, 13:25

yomptepi wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:

Plumbers really are the worst. :(

My builder turned up unexpectedly today instead so he's forgiven (sort of).

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Oct 2017, 13:55

hippopotamus wrote:
NMB wrote:

Way back when I was a jobbing gardener, once I was established and my name got around (plus adverts initially) my phone was very very busy, except in Jan and Feb naturally enough, to the extent that I had to decline work. But having a gardener in is a Luxury not an emergency or necessity, (except if say, you're an elderly widow with a 10 foot high privet fence screening the front and side of her home which needs to come down a lot lower, for security reasons.)

On one occasion I heard my telephone number was a bit of a bartering tool - "If I give you the number of my trusted and reliable handyman, will you give me the number of C, your gardener, who I've heard good things about" - kinda thing.
I was a bit took aback by the number of customers who entrusted me with their keys, back and front and to lock up and I had one lady who left me with a signed and dated blank cheque on the kitchen table, said for me to fill it out for myself for the hours worked and to leave my receipt there once I was finished.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Oct 2017, 17:14

yomptepi wrote:
NMB wrote:

I am a builder, and even I couldn't find a bloody plumber!!! I have asked all of our regular tradesmen to carry out the work, but for some reason it never seems to be convenient.

Well, that's what I was thinking - you couldn't find one of your own subs that would do it?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 16:32

I forwarded my son's grades to my ex and she mentioned how good they are.

I emailed back that it's his current nurturing living environment that is so conducive to educational focus.

Our son lives with me now.

NMB

Postby NMB » 13 Oct 2017, 17:03

I've got a weekend away in a town I don't know (Bradford on Avon) so I've just been checking out the things to do list on the tourism website. The top item on the list is the local dental practice. It could be a fun weekend.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 17:42

NMB wrote:I've got a weekend away in a town I don't know (Bradford on Avon) so I've just been checking out the things to do list on the tourism website. The top item on the list is the local dental practice. It could be a fun weekend.

:lol:

I dunno, getting a cavity filled might be a good time depending on the anesthesia.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Oct 2017, 22:06

NMB wrote:I've got a weekend away in a town I don't know (Bradford on Avon) so I've just been checking out the things to do list on the tourism website. The top item on the list is the local dental practice. It could be a fun weekend.

The stone-built Saxon church is a blast if you like that kind of thing, and the mediaeval barn, ditto, and there's Bath, Westonbirt Arboretum (lots of maples with autumn colour) and some pretty country and villages nearby. Things may have changed in the 7 or 8 years since I left the area, but Bradford was best known in our household for traffic snarls and pollution (it's in a hole, basically, and fumes get trapped in there: if you or anyone going with you has a tendency to asthma, take extra inhalers.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Oct 2017, 10:10

It has the only cigar lounge west of London.

NMB

Postby NMB » 16 Oct 2017, 07:43

Well I thought it was rather nice! Good for a couple of hours stroll admiring the Saxon architecture, river and autumn colours anyway and then back to our accommodation for Strictly and an early night. No cigars smoked but no trips to the dentist either and I didn’t notice the pollution. The main purpose of the trip was the spa in Bath the next day so it was well positioned for a cheaper stay outside the city.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 16 Oct 2017, 17:54

Isabella has...a Big Girl Bed.

:D / :cry:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Oct 2017, 19:28

Ooh!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Oct 2017, 21:33

Well I don't have a valid passport because my photo was rejected, and I have to wait 3 months to get another appointment. Just as I was getting relaxed about sorting out my move to Bristol. I really want to break something right now.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Oct 2017, 22:54

WG Kaspar wrote:Well I don't have a valid passport because my photo was rejected.

You're no George Clooney, but you're not that bad.

Return to “Nextdoorland”