Bands With the Wrong Politics

Do talk back
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Bands With the Wrong Politics

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Oct 2017, 04:55

Terrible, aren't they? Utter bastards.
Yet why must some of their music be great?

YOU KNOW who I'm talking about. Let's talk about them here, the ignorant bastards.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Bands With the Wrong Politics

Postby Deebank » 08 Oct 2017, 12:00

Is it Rush? :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

joybringer

Postby joybringer » 08 Oct 2017, 12:09

its got to be Billy Bragg the twat.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Oct 2017, 13:10

Among others.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Oct 2017, 14:26

It's difficult to think of examples. It's very rare to find conservative or right wing views openly espoused in lyrics. I suspect it may be a bit more commonplace in country music, but that's not my area.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Oct 2017, 14:38

The Modernist wrote:It's difficult to think of examples. It's very rare to find conservative or right wing views openly espoused in lyrics.

The only things that come to mind (after a minute's thought) are the original dodgy lyrics of 'Get Back', and some of Morrissey's stuff ('Sweet And Tender Hooligan' has a vaguely Mail-like 'lock 'em up' sentiment).

The Modernist wrote:I suspect it may be a bit more commonplace in country music, but that's not my area.

The stereotypical country artist has right-wing views, but expressed in song?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Oct 2017, 14:47

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I suspect it may be a bit more commonplace in country music, but that's not my area.

The stereotypical country artist has right-wing views, but expressed in song?

Why is that so surprising? Of course there are loads of them. Or are you, for example, dismissing nationalism, patriotism and militarism as basically right wing concerns? I have a big box set of music associated with the Vietnam War, for instance, and that splits approximately 3:2 Kill the Gooks: Hanoi Jane for ever/bring the boys home. America is essentially a right-wing country. after all.
And if you want specific examples, try Jan Berry's Universal Coward, or Staff Sgt Barry Sadler's Green Beret.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Oct 2017, 14:55

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:
The Modernist wrote:It's difficult to think of examples. It's very rare to find conservative or right wing views openly espoused in lyrics.

The only things that come to mind (after a minute's thought) are the original dodgy lyrics of 'Get Back', and some of Morrissey's stuff ('Sweet And Tender Hooligan' has a vaguely Mail-like 'lock 'em up' sentiment).

Metal, especially Norwegian death metal, is full of extreme imagery. Reg is full of conservative ideas in the music rather than the lyrics, although they are often inspired by Tolkienistic drivel, right wing in itself. Alt folk types are known for it too. Death in June anyone? Current 93 (although to be fair all the magickal stuff isn't so much left or right as out there)? All of Christian rock? All those New Romantic materialist ditties about getting ahead and being fabulous? What's particuylarly left-wing about gangsta rap and ll that bling shit?
And so on
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Oct 2017, 15:17

It's true that country music, being mostly made by white southerners for white southerners, comes from an essentially conservative viewpoint. And that bubbles up into the lyrics from time to time. And lots of bluegrass, though fairly radical musically, is based on really mawkish and maudlin "dear old dead mother waiting for me in heaven" sentimentality. There are a fair few examples that could certainly complicate that view, but it's not really wrong.

In my own hell, they'll be playing this, which I find deeply objectionable:

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Oct 2017, 15:34

Robert Wyatt
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Oct 2017, 16:06

ooooooohhhhh yeah wrote:

The only things that come to mind (after a minute's thought) are the original dodgy lyrics of 'Get Back'

I wouldn't give that as an example because, however misjudged it may have been, it was intended as a satire; a mockery of racist views in the same way Alf Garnett was.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Oct 2017, 16:12

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Oct 2017, 16:27

Bent Fabric wrote:

It's got a great beat though!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Oct 2017, 17:35

neville from norwich wrote:Robert Wyatt

You think he regrets Stalin Wasn't Stallin?

He should - I mean, Stalin did stall for one thing.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Oct 2017, 23:43

MC5! No fucking in the streets until you clean your room!
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Yakety Yak”