R.E.M.

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

Re: R.E.M.

Postby Deebank » 08 Oct 2017, 12:01

yes
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Feb 2018, 21:45

Yeah. I’ve really come around to them again
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 08 Feb 2018, 21:51

OCT wrote:Yeah. I’ve really come around to them again

They’re one of those bands you need a real break from, I think. I got so fucked off with the middlebrow politeness and Q mag gurning of the later years that they completely spoiled themselves for me. Forward x years, hearing Reckoning cold, all their magic and mystery comes flooding back. They were a special band for a long time and we should be grateful. No one judges the Stones on Bridges To Babylon after all.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Feb 2018, 22:05

From Murmur to Monster, most of it is excellent.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 08 Feb 2018, 22:15

Ranking Ted wrote:

They’re one of those bands you need a real break from, I think. I got so fucked off with the middlebrow politeness and Q mag gurning of the later years that they completely spoiled themselves for me. Forward x years, hearing Reckoning cold, all their magic and mystery comes flooding back. They were a special band for a long time and we should be grateful. No one judges the Stones on Bridges To Babylon after all.

They are aging well ain't they?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Feb 2018, 22:20

I've been enjoying Automatic recently again. The Warner brothers years are weaker but they were still hitting highs until the mid 90s.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 09 Feb 2018, 07:19

Wish more people would actually listen to their later albums (Rather than merely gripe about the good ol' days).. and realize 'New Adventures...' (Top 3) 'Up' 'Accelerate' and 'Collapse into Now' are excellent albums...Hell, even 'Reveal' and 'Around the Sun' have moments...

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Feb 2018, 09:23

Dayodead wrote:Wish more people would actually listen to their later albums (Rather than merely gripe about the good ol' days).. and realize 'New Adventures...' (Top 3) 'Up' 'Accelerate' and 'Collapse into Now' are excellent albums...Hell, even 'Reveal' and 'Around the Sun' have moments...

I agree to an extent - although, for me, New Adventures is where the run ends (others claim Monster, others Up). After that, it’s patchy stuff, no wholly convincing album although the last two in particular had their moments. Reveal and ATS are pretty awful, in the main.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 12:00

The first track on Reveal is pretty good - can't remember the name. Actually I think the first four things there are fine.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 12:06

You're always starting threads on them! :)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 12:44

The Modernist wrote:

You're always starting threads on them! :)

They interest me and what people say about them interests me - they tend to rate some of their most horrible flag-waving monstrosities or dreary, endless 'ballads' highly.

They've put out some dreadful shit and some songs for the ages. They sort of straddle that kind of old-fashioned approach to being a band/writing songs and a more modern post-punk thing - which is probably their undoing. They're catastrophically fucking clueless, half the time.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 12:45

and yet...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 12:47

I don't find them that exciting, to talk about or listen to really. They're just a decent guitar band, but they seldom hit the heights. I did enjoy some of the earlier albums though.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 12:50

oh G

Robert

Postby Robert » 09 Feb 2018, 12:57

I guess I am inbetween G & J here. There's maybe about 15-20 songs that I really love and the rest I don't really care about all that much. But, even
my top 5 REM I wouldn't exactly call 'exciting'.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 13:01

They're never exciting. Where did that word come from?

They're occasionally beautiful, however.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 13:07

'Don't Go Back to Rockville' kind of typifies them. It's good, if you play it you'll invariably enjoy it. You may even sing along. But is it a song that will ever obsess you, do you ever feel a desperation to hear it, does it it transform you to another world...? Well not really.
I don't mean to damn them with faint praise necessarily, but that's how I feel about them.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Feb 2018, 13:09

They always seemed up their own arse to me.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 13:12

The Modernist wrote:'Don't Go Back to Rockville' kind of typifies them. It's good, if you play it you'll invariably enjoy it. You may even sing along. But is it a song that will ever obsess you, do you ever feel a desperation to hear it, does it it transform you to another world...? Well not really.

I'd say it does transport me, absolutely. It's a wonderful song and a bit of a tearjerker in my dotage. But it's a rare example.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Feb 2018, 13:17

Oh I think Rockville is wonderful and it sorta aches with a particular kind of adolescent heartbreak. Mills had such a lovely voice

I can also play it on the guitar. Which is nice
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”