NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
driftin

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby driftin » 03 Oct 2017, 14:35

Nice textures and all but this lacks the punch and dynamism of their first three albums, even when the songs themselves are about a quarter of the length. They're definitely getting old. Only the final song here manages to reach the heights of what they were doing 15 years ago.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Oct 2017, 21:05

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Oct 2017, 15:15

Breaking out the crazy obscurities.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Oct 2017, 15:28

just the ligeti
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 Oct 2017, 15:33

Oof!

I’ll join you

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Oct 2017, 15:36

Good man.
I reckon your Boulez trumps my Pintscher (although I've seen him in concert here!)
I swear I hear a Dukas quote in the first movement of the piano joint
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 Oct 2017, 15:41

Almost House-y piano stabs

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Oct 2017, 15:49

Feels like the orchestra is trying to help the piano to say something...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 Oct 2017, 17:27

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 Oct 2017, 23:34

A long kept secret of lost classics, John Wonderling’s debut LP was ill fated from the start, despite boasting a deep bench of session players. Wonderling made his mark as the writer of “Midway Down,” a song made famous by The Creation. Though, The Creation don’t always find themselves in constant conversation these days either (see their much needed retrospective on Numero this year) they raised Wonderling’s profile at the time and he released a single version of “Midway Down” backed with “Man Of Straw”. What truly halted Wonderling’s momentum was taking the next five years to craft Day Breaks, an album of subtle beauty, but slightly faded psychedelic pop for its release in 1973.

The single was the last independent release on Loma Records, which was then absorbed into Warner Brothers. His album would wind up on Paramount. The shift to major label should have seemed like a blessing, but the label simply didn’t know what to do with Wonderling. He’d languish and most of the records printed would disappear, with as few as 10 copies being reportedly making their way to distribution. As such this has become a pricey collector’s property. The record shouldn’t have been as hard a sell as it’s often described. Though songs like “Man Of Straw” seem a bit past the mark, the rest of the album delves into the kind of wistful ballads that wound up making legends (albeit not always in their time) of artists from Nick Drake to Gene Clark.

Wonderling, too should be higher up the ranks of lost songwriters and it seems that this reissue from Flashback is aiming to make that so. Though only on CD for now, the new issue rounds up the entirety of Day Breaks along with the A and B-side versions of “Midway Down” and “Man Of Straw” with a couple of unreleased demos. This is an all too brief, but truly wonderful album finding a new life.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Oct 2017, 14:34

NOW!!! That's What I Call Instrumental Carnatic Music Vol. 1

https://open.spotify.com/user/122953106 ... GW6vw1hdCi

I thought I wouldn't miss the singers but I kinda do :?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Oct 2017, 14:35

neville from norwich wrote:

A long kept secret of lost classics, John Wonderling’s debut LP was ill fated from the start, despite boasting a deep bench of session players. Wonderling made his mark as the writer of “Midway Down,” a song made famous by The Creation. Though, The Creation don’t always find themselves in constant conversation these days either (see their much needed retrospective on Numero this year) they raised Wonderling’s profile at the time and he released a single version of “Midway Down” backed with “Man Of Straw”. What truly halted Wonderling’s momentum was taking the next five years to craft Day Breaks, an album of subtle beauty, but slightly faded psychedelic pop for its release in 1973.

The single was the last independent release on Loma Records, which was then absorbed into Warner Brothers. His album would wind up on Paramount. The shift to major label should have seemed like a blessing, but the label simply didn’t know what to do with Wonderling. He’d languish and most of the records printed would disappear, with as few as 10 copies being reportedly making their way to distribution. As such this has become a pricey collector’s property. The record shouldn’t have been as hard a sell as it’s often described. Though songs like “Man Of Straw” seem a bit past the mark, the rest of the album delves into the kind of wistful ballads that wound up making legends (albeit not always in their time) of artists from Nick Drake to Gene Clark.

Wonderling, too should be higher up the ranks of lost songwriters and it seems that this reissue from Flashback is aiming to make that so. Though only on CD for now, the new issue rounds up the entirety of Day Breaks along with the A and B-side versions of “Midway Down” and “Man Of Straw” with a couple of unreleased demos. This is an all too brief, but truly wonderful album finding a new life.

Yeah, I'm a Creation fan and I've never heard of him nor do I remember the song he wrote for them.
I'll look into this one.
Worth a damn?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Oct 2017, 14:44

Yeah it’s lovely.

driftin

Postby driftin » 05 Oct 2017, 15:45

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2017, 12:08

Robert Plant live at Maida Vale Studios!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 06 Oct 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Oct 2017, 12:41

One of the albums of the year. Let's not pretend this is part of some new electronic movement called PC music or wobbly or anything like that, it's early 00s ultra-fast squeaky and bleepy IDM but with modern techniques. This is Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Prefuse 73, Venetian Snares, Kid606, and all those Tigerbeat6 artists that were going mad in the early 00s all jammed into a high-speed blender. A proper sugar rush. Utterly lovely.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Oct 2017, 17:17

(It's really a CD anthology on Youtube, but I did actually seek out and buy the 10" and whichever singles I could find.)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Oct 2017, 17:54

neville from norwich wrote:

Just listening to man of straw on spotify , groovy.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2017, 18:11

Besides the regrettable cover of Nirvana's "Lithium" this is quite beautiful.

Off to see them in London in January - it will be wonderful.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Oct 2017, 01:57

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”