Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Sep 2017, 11:59

Let’s Scare Jessica To Death

Ignore the cheap exploitation title. This is one of those strange, unclassifiable horror films that fuses various elements (ghost story, vampire, zombie, psychological horror) into a singular whole but with enough ambiguity to make you question whether the whole thing is in the protagonists head. The soundtrack is great (an odd mix of acoustic and 70s synths) and it has a wonderful atmosphere that effortlessly manages to blur the lines between reality and nightmare to startling effect. Zohra Lampert is terrific as well plus it’s one of those rare horror films that succeeds in being scary whilst being almost entirely shot in daylight. One scene where somebody emerges from a lake is particularly memorable and haunting.

Apparently it’s become a cult item and it’s easy to see why. This movie should really be more widely seen.

Fantastic stuff.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Sep 2017, 16:07

Jeemo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Not all the actors are Scottish though, right? I read that Johnny Lee Miller (who was once married to Angelina Jolie) is English. I was also surprised to learn that he's related to Bernard Lee, who played M in the Bond films.

only Ewan Bremner/Spud is from Edinburgh. The rest all had to learn the Edinburgh dialect. I'm from near Glasgow so can't comment on how successful they were.

They don't sound like Leithers but I thought Millers generic Scottish accent was really good
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 27 Sep 2017, 13:29

Based on the great French graphic novel Le Transperceneige, I expected the worst, but this post-apocalyptic Corean-Czech production was actually rather good.

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Sep 2017, 04:18

For starters, I feel as though I may have bet on the wrong horse when I arbitrarily decided to like Vin Diesel, who seems like kind of a tool, over The Rock, who's a douche, but who can exude a speck of humanity. Plus which they appear to have actual beef with each other, unless it was just a publicity stunt, and I bet I know which one's the bitch.

As if there were ever a limit to the preposterousness of these movies, this one comes along to remind you that's not the case. This has people jumping out of fast cars without getting a scratch, surviving explosions intact, driving onto cargo holds of airplanes on the tarmac at 200 mph and coming to a perfect stop instantly, and so on, as well as the most base, naked sentimentality you would shun in any normal kind of movie.* So it's fundamentally unsatisfying, yet you'll want to find how it resolves anyway (well, if you're me). And of course the resolution is completely stupid and just what you'd expect, except maybe a little worse.

The parts filmed in New York, which I was particularly interested in seeing, are a total letdown: the editing of those chases, if it even needs to be said, is such that you can't tell -- you can only intuit -- that there's no continuity in terms of location, whatsoever. Compare with something like the masterful sequence in 1973's The Seven-Ups, which actually tracks the cars through a real sequence of places. The (I *guess*) real sets, which you can only see for about a quarter of a second at a time, only underscore how much more like a video game than a cinematic experience this stuff calls to mind.

* This is coming from someone who actually wept at the revelation that the character of Paul whatsisname, the actor who later died, and his girl were going to have a baby in episode 5 (or 6 or 4 or something). To be fair, we were going to have a baby then too, so that may have had something to so with it.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 28 Sep 2017, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Sep 2017, 04:42

Saboteur

Not a classic, but pretty good Hitchcock suspense thriller designed to scare up some patriotism during WWII. He didn't get to choose his leading players, and that's why he's saddled with Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane. A great sequence atop the Statue of Liberty stands out, but not too much else.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Sep 2017, 10:50

Snarfyguy wrote:For starters, I feel as though I may have bet on the wrong horse when I arbitrarily decided to like Vin Diesel, who seems like kind of a tool, over The Rock, who's a douche, but who appears to exude a tiny amount of humanity.

As if there were ever a limit to the preposterousness of these movies, this one comes along to remind you that's not the case. This has people jumping out of fast cars without a scratch, surviving explosions intact, driving onto cargo holds of airplanes on the tarmac at 200 mph and coming to a perfect stop instantly, and so on, as well as the most base, naked sentimentality you would shun in any normal kind of movie.* So it's fundamentally unsatisfying, yet you'll want to find how it resolves anyway (well, if you're me). And of course the resolution is completely stupid and just what you'd expect, except maybe a little worse.

The parts filmed in New York, which I was particularly interested in seeing, are a total letdown: the editing of those chases, if it even needs to be said, is such that you can't tell -- you can only intuit -- that there's no continuity in terms of location, whatsoever. Compare with something like the masterful sequence in The Seven-Ups, which actually tracks the cars through a real sequence of places. The (I guess) real sets, which you can only see for about a quarter of a second at a time, only underscore how much more like video games than movie scenes this stuff calls to mind.

* This is coming from someone who actually wept at the revelation that the character of Paul whatsisname, the actor who died, and his girl were going to have a baby in episode 5 (or 6 or 4 or something). To be fair, we were going to have a baby then too, so that may have had something to so with it.

i loved it. the sheer utter stupidity of the whole thing was staggering. plus it had scenes filmed in Havana and I had just been on holiday so that was good. great movie to see with the wee guy.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Sep 2017, 21:31

I like all the Fast n Furious movies.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Sep 2017, 22:29

Atomic Blonde (2017)

I'm sure there are a bunch of under-30 reviewers who called this a clever tribute/twist on the classic Bond/spy film, though I'd sooner characterize it as a slavish exercise in revisiting every cliche from the series/genre. Also, it seems to suffer a bit from not knowing what it wants to be: most of it is super-stylized, slick 3rd generation "Matrix" action, but then there is a long sequence featuring a truly brutal fight wherein the main character and a couple of assailants just beat the hell out of each other which almost seems like it should belong in a completely different movie. That, and a fairly tense car chase immediately afterward do somewhat redeem the problems I had with the movie. Besides the cliches, it is ridiculously easy to spot the villain, and there is a gratuitous twist at the end that doesn't seem to really make that much difference in the story. Also, the movie is set in Berlin immediately prior to the fall of the Wall, and yet the music you hear in the movie is all early 80's techno-pop. Not especially clever choices either. The first two songs you hear being played are "Major Tom Coming Home" and "99 Luftballons" and then later "Der Kommissar." I mean, if it had been set in Mexico, would they have used "La Cucaracha" or the Mexican Hat Dance?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Sep 2017, 04:36

Carlito's Way

I'm not really that much of a De Palma fan to be honest, but he has made some top notch films, and this is one of them. Pacino was about my age when he made this and he still looked great. Penn was good enough to earn an oscar nomination, but he didn't get one (neither did Al). I read the book After Hours from which this movie was based on, but I don't really remember it. Is it as good as The Godfathers, or even Scarface? No, I can't say that it is; but it's good enough.

driftin

Postby driftin » 30 Sep 2017, 15:49

The plot is incredibly stupid and the acting is spectacularly hammy (Samuel L Jackson is basically a pantomime villain) but it's so well made and cine-literate that I couldn't help but enjoy it. For a $185M genre film it's surprisingly quirky. There's references to Cannibal Holocaust and Predator in its grisly violence, the monster battles are blocked and choreographed like WWE wrestling matches , the visual storytelling through its editing and cinematography is thoughtful so you can actually see what the hell is going on, the soundtrack is a playful Vietnam war film jukebox with Black Sabbath, Jefferson Airplane etc. it's basically Apocalypse Now meets Predator via Pacific Rim. It's dumb as hell but if you're going to make a film out of a very stupid script you might as well run with it and do it well.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Oct 2017, 20:54

Serviceable entry into the ever expanding canon of cheaply made zombie comedy-horrors. This one produced by, and starring, Elijah Wood, is very much The Faculty meets Shaun of the Dead, but doesn't really compare favourably to either.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

driftin

Postby driftin » 02 Oct 2017, 07:03

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Serviceable entry into the ever expanding canon of cheaply made zombie comedy-horrors. This one produced by, and starring, Elijah Wood, is very much The Faculty meets Shaun of the Dead, but doesn't really compare favourably to either.

The tagline is a PlayStation fighting game combo.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Oct 2017, 03:50

Lethal Weapon Collection

What a shit day. Last night Las Vegas, today Tom Petty, and my oldest daughter seems to want nothing to do with me and never wants to stay at home. This is why I drink, folks. I've been watching these movies all weekend. Kind've like comfort food. The first Lethal Weapon is the best and it's the law of diminishing returns after as each film is slightly less good than the previous - with the fourth being at most average. Remember when we didn't know Mel Gibson was a racist asshole? These films take you back.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Oct 2017, 15:02

Sorry, but LOL
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Oct 2017, 20:18

Ingrid Goes West (2017)

Ingrid, a young woman who is somewhat pathologically obsessed with internet celebrities turns her attention to Instagram queen Taylor (Elizabeth Olsen), going so far as to kidnap her pooch to get inside her door. Later, as Ingrid develops a real-life friendship with Taylor, she cynically manipulates her landlord into posing as her boyfriend to lend an aura of normalcy to her life. But things start to sour when Taylor's reprobate brother becomes suspicious of Ingrid's motives. This exploration of obsession, stalking and the desire for internet fame can be laugh-out-loud funny, but also goes to some very dark and uncomfortably familiar places.

Ruby Sparks (2012)

A nebbishy writer starts writing about his (literal) dream girl, and to his surprise, she appears in flesh and blood. As she starts to develop as a real person and begins to drift away from him, he takes to his typewriter to recreate her, only to make things progressively worse. An enjoyable fantasy with interesting things to say about fantasy versus real-life relationships.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Oct 2017, 20:44

The Dylan documentary 'Don't Look Back' which was enormous fun.
At some point when we want to get miserable I suppose we will have to finish the Vietnam documentary.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Oct 2017, 19:25

Superb. Realism gives way to horror almost imperceptibly in this Iranian production set in Tehran in the 1980s Iran/Iraq war. I won't bother getting into the plot, but it gets points for keeping the audience off-guard, fantastic sound design & visual sensibility and the great sets. Most of it takes place in an apartment and it's reminiscent of Repulsion in the way the interiors reflect the state of mind of its inhabitants. Really effective, even/especially without the usual SFX CGI bunk.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Oct 2017, 00:25

Got up to season 4 ep 1 and it's an ok show without being spectacular if I'm being honest. Sometimes it feels like writers are on a mission for everyone in the main group gets a chance to have a one on one conversation with each other. There are some good themes going through it, heavy lies the crown of leadership, loyalty, survival, preparing people to survive when it seems extreme. The western element to it is fun if slightly drifting as the seasons go on. I'll keep watching to the end probably, but I think I will forget about it as soon as it finishes completely.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Oct 2017, 06:07

An Affair to Remember

Ultra romantic '50s weepie which I enjoyed more this time than when I saw it last. Itself a remake of the director's own Love affair from twenty years earlier, it's also been the subject of numerous movies, notably Sleepless in Seattle. The color on the blu is ravishing. I love Cary Grant.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Oct 2017, 09:57

Zombie 2 aka Zombie Flesh Eaters

I’ve only ever seen one other Lucio Fulci film – The Beyond, which I really rather liked despites its flaws – so I was looking forward to this but it was pretty disappointing. It takes an age to really get going but there are a handful of decent moments throughout and the last half hour has something of the dreamlike quality that elevated the Beyond and the ending gives it a wee kick but poor overall although worth a watch if you’re into this shit perhaps.

I looked it up on rotten tomatoes and amusingly the photo of the actor Ian McCulloch is not the actual actor but, you guessed it, a photo of the Scouse gobshite and Bunnyman singer instead

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zombi_2_1979/

Return to “Screenadelica”