The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Postby naughty boy » 28 Sep 2017, 18:18

Criterion are releasing this box on Blu-Ray in December. It looks like a beautiful thing and I want it.

Can I order it with confidence from the US, are Blu-Rays playable on European machines?

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/326-t ... p-festival

Oh, and this question: it was better than Woodstock, wasn't it?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Charlie O.

Re: The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Sep 2017, 18:33

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:Can I order it with confidence from the US, are Blu-Rays playable on European machines?

BluRays are typically region-encoded like DVDs, and I would not expect this to be an exception. :(

This does look amazing and I want it, too.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Sep 2017, 18:36

Actually, on closer inspection I'm not clear on how much more "complete" this is than the previous Criterion set...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Sep 2017, 18:36

Ah, shit.

Thanks anyway C. I'll just have to hope Criterion UK release a European version.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 28 Sep 2017, 18:37

I don't know why you should expect an all-region edition. They've already released two Monterey discs: one of the film and the other of Jimi/Otis. What I'd like to know is why I should toss the current editions and spring for the new one (evidently, it includes all of the acts Pennebaker got permission to film).

Well, the facility and audience were much smaller and it didn't rain. As for the acts, Woodstock wins on sheer volume. But I'd rather have been at Monterey (which I wasn't).
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 28 Sep 2017, 18:41

I bought the criterion box a few years ago. It's good, apart from the Jimi and Otis classic sets you get Laura nyro, Mike Broomfield, Simon and Garfunkel... I must watch it again

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 28 Sep 2017, 18:44

No mention of Moby Grape, so it's definitely not "complete" - and yes, they were filmed, I've seen some of it. And despite the common lore, they didn't just play four songs, they played eight. Not every song by every band was recorded, and the audio and video recording set-ups were separate (the camera didn't have microphones, it was the '60s), so some songs were recorded but not filmed, and vice versa. As the event went on and they weren't as concerned with running out of film, more footage was shot, which is why there's so much of The Who and Hendrix. But Steve Miller, The Paupers, Group With No Name... probably nothing (and probably just as well). My guess is that the outtakes are just what got released in the last "complete" set. Unless they dug up new footage, or at least added a CD of music that got recorded but not filmed, the last set will do for me.

"Quite."

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Sep 2017, 19:02

Group With No Name... probably nothing (and probably just as well).

Sounds like one hell of a waste of space, that group.
:cry:
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Sep 2017, 19:03

I want to see film of the Beefheart and Beach Boys sets that never happened. Wouldn't that be amazing?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 28 Sep 2017, 19:36

And Love. Maybe when hologram technology starts catching on...

Group With No Name only did this one gig. Cyrus Faryar of Modern Folk Quartet was a member. I think they were just asked to fill time before Buffalo Springfield was ready.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Sep 2017, 19:44

No name, no reputation, no recording of their one and only show... they should have called it Fuhgeddaboutit.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 28 Sep 2017, 19:50

They might have asked to be billed as "Who?" but it was taken.

I don't think they were even a group, it was just a last-minute fill. Faryar has said that he actually likes being "the ghost of Monterey" - being a part of history but being completely forgotten. There are a few photos, but that's it. All he remembers was no rehearsal (of course), not thinking they were very good, and "breaking up" immediately after their set.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Sep 2017, 20:57

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:Ah, shit.

Thanks anyway C. I'll just have to hope Criterion UK release a European version.

ps3 and ps4 will play any region DVD 's and bluray.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Sep 2017, 21:01

Thanks, J. I haven't got a PS of any kind.

I'll keep looking out for this. I don't even think it's even been televised in the UK - certainly not for the last 20 years.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Sep 2017, 21:30

You could always just buy a region-free player, John. This is the same blu ray set Criterion has already released, just with a new 4K scan and better audio. There's a different cover too. Bluray.com is listing this release as region A only so far.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Compl ... ay/189159/

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Sep 2017, 21:37

Can any UK posters recommend a decent multi region blu ray player for around 60 quid if possible?

I never realised that unlike dvd players which are easy and therefore free to hack it's not as simple with blu ray players.

I've also read comments online that state that not every American dvd will necessary work on a multi region player over here. is this true?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Sep 2017, 21:39

I'm just looking at some Sony players that are quite reasonably-priced but I can't say for sure they're region-free. It's a bit confusing.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 28 Sep 2017, 21:44

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:Oh, and this question: it was better than Woodstock, wasn't it?

In terms of the actual performances, particularly those from the big acts (Hendrix and the Who for example), then yeah, I would go along with that- there was also a lot more variety in terms of the lineup. But as a film, Woodstock tells a more interesting story. I guess the difference is that the former is a (very well shot and edited) film about a music festival, the latter is about a moment in time. Both are absolutely essential for different reasons.

I hate to sound shallow, but I should also add that in both films it's as if they only allowed gorgeous women to attend the festivals. The audiences are so pretty. And yeah, I think I'll put this DVD on my Xmas wish-list.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Sep 2017, 21:47

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:I'm just looking at some Sony players that are quite reasonably-priced but I can't say for sure they're region-free. It's a bit confusing.

It has to say it's region-free. Like this:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=stri ... 8dBC4C1iIY

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Sep 2017, 21:55

Ah - OK. Thanks, Matt.

I might just get the DVD. I have to say I was attracted by the packaging as much as anything. I'm like a kid....

Return to “Yakety Yak”