Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

..and why not?
Rayge

Re: Directors that didn't fulfil their potential

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2017, 18:38

Positive Passion wrote:Yes - surely Bogdanovich had done all he needed to with the last picture show.

With Targets, as far as I'm concerned. One of the great directorial debuts.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

algroth

Postby algroth » 16 Sep 2017, 19:27

Jeemo wrote:
algroth wrote:For both Singer and the Wachowskis I prefer their X-Men and post-Matrix work respectively, actually. For the latter case in particular, Speed Racer is highly creative and heads and shoulders above anything they'd done til that point or since.

Spèed Racer is headache inducing. All flash and nothing underneath.

Sure, but it's interesting flash at least, opposite to The Matrix.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 16 Sep 2017, 19:52

algroth wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
algroth wrote:For both Singer and the Wachowskis I prefer their X-Men and post-Matrix work respectively, actually. For the latter case in particular, Speed Racer is highly creative and heads and shoulders above anything they'd done til that point or since.

i liked The Matrix. The sequels were bobbins though.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Sep 2017, 20:18

I like the "Too Many Hugo Weavings" scene. Makes my head spin! Spectacular stuff.
uggy poopy doody.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Sep 2017, 22:36

Jeemo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Some great shouts so far.

Donald Cammell of Performance fame seems an obvious example.
Also I'd add Mathieu Kassovitz who hasn't done anything of note since La Haine.

How much of Performance was down to Roeg, any idea?

Most things I've read (for example the McCabe book) and seen tend to credit Cammell as the "author" of the film. He'd been working on the themes in previous scripts, wrote the script, assembled much of the cast ( Jagger, Pallenburg, Fox and Breton were all part of his social circle) and storyboarded it. Roeg was brought in for his technical knowhow and was more like the dp. The film's distinctive non-linear, fragmented editing style was developed by Cammell and Frank Mazzola, partly to overcome censorship problems. Ironically (given the editing style of some of his own films) Roeg favoured a more conventional edit, but was overruled.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Sep 2017, 23:27

I'm a fan of both directors. This seems like a pretty fair assessment. Cammell wrrote "Duffy" and "Performance" seems set in the same world. Roeg had a very strong hand on movies he shot. You look at Richard Lester's "Petulia" and you'd never guess it was a Richard Lester film.

Cammell's "Demon Seed" and that weird little blood-bath movie with David Keith (white of the eye, I think) both feature visual things you'd associate with Roeg (artsy-fartsy lighting, the long slow zooms.) maybe this was self conscious on Cammell's part but I guess we'll never be sure where one style starts and the other ends.

"Demon Seed" is pretty damned unpleasant but I think it's a VERY well put together film. Sure, it's no "Don't Look Back" but when you consider that the villain of the film is basically some Radio Shack toggle switches and stuff, it's very well done. Christie is amazing in it.
uggy poopy doody.

driftin

Postby driftin » 17 Sep 2017, 08:59

joels344 wrote:Bernardo Bertolucci. While he's directed some impressive films with great popularity i.e., Last Tango in Paris, and The Last Emperor, I feel The Conformist was his last and only masterpiece. That film showed much potential for him as a filmmaker. After that and some scattered success, he was sadly designated to making big budget flops, mediocre art films, one convoluted epic, and largely forgettable affairs. He could've been what followed for Italian cinema after Fellini and Antonioni, but that wasn't the case.

That does seem to be the general consensus about his filmography and I can get on board with it but in my opinion his best film isn't The Conformist, Last Tango, or The Last Emperor (although all 3 are great), it's The Dreamers. I know it's not as well regarded by critics or viewers but to me it's brilliant.

driftin

Postby driftin » 17 Sep 2017, 09:03

algroth wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

There's a decent video about Speed Racer that goes into this. It talks about realism, formalism, verisimilitude, and the use of colours in comic book movies. I think you might find it interesting. Even if you disagree with his opinions about the films I think you can agree with the argument.

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Sep 2017, 15:56

Seen that, it's a good video and I agree with a lot of what it's saying. I don't necessarily think Speed Racer is a masterpiece as Willems does but I do think it is a creative approach that works for that specific story/property. I mean, it's Speed Racer, if you really want to hold its lack of substance against it be my guest. It's still a fun watch and as far as I'm concerned the best achievement from the directors in great part because it's the only film of theirs that I've seen (or recall at this moment) that doesn't pretend to be more than what it is.

With regards to The Matrix I'm of the weird opinion that Reloaded is the best of the lot, but that's really the definition of "damning with faint praise".

joels344

Postby joels344 » 17 Sep 2017, 19:30

driftin wrote:
joels344 wrote:Bernardo Bertolucci. While he's directed some impressive films with great popularity i.e., Last Tango in Paris, and The Last Emperor, I feel The Conformist was his last and only masterpiece. That film showed much potential for him as a filmmaker. After that and some scattered success, he was sadly designated to making big budget flops, mediocre art films, one convoluted epic, and largely forgettable affairs. He could've been what followed for Italian cinema after Fellini and Antonioni, but that wasn't the case.

That does seem to be the general consensus about his filmography and I can get on board with it but in my opinion his best film isn't The Conformist, Last Tango, or The Last Emperor (although all 3 are great), it's The Dreamers. I know it's not as well regarded by critics or viewers but to me it's brilliant.

That's one I still need to check out. Looks interesting.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Sep 2017, 09:48

Ridley Scott.

Alien, Blade Runner, and a bunch of fair to middling bobbins until The Martian.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

driftin

Postby driftin » 18 Sep 2017, 12:32

Darkness_Fish wrote:Ridley Scott.

And then after The Martian he went back to making fair to middling bobbins with Alien: Covenant.

I'd argue that The Martian could even be part of that mediocrity too. I enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema but the more I think about it the less I like it. I can't back this up with any sort of evidence but I have a gut feeling it won't age well.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 18 Sep 2017, 15:19

driftin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Ridley Scott.

And then after The Martian he went back to making fair to middling bobbins with Alien: Covenant.

I'd argue that The Martian could even be part of that mediocrity too. I enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema but the more I think about it the less I like it. I can't back this up with any sort of evidence but I have a gut feeling it won't age well.

I've never felt any urge to rewatch The Martin. I'll just put it that way. Enjoyable and fun film in the cinema, though.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 18 Sep 2017, 17:54

The Martian*

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Sep 2017, 18:11

joels344 wrote:The Martian*

Shame. A film about Dick Martin getting stranded on Mars might have been fun!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 18 Sep 2017, 18:14

PENK wrote:
joels344 wrote:The Martian*

Shame. A film about Dick Martin getting stranded on Mars might have been fun!

I wouldn't tempt Ridley Scott with a possible sequel.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Sep 2017, 18:15

Scott is a good call though. He did have Gladiator which was a great blockbuster and a massive commercial success, but he's spent the years since trying to redo that or, recently, going back to his earliest, best work with all the Alien prequels and the new Blade Runner sequel (does anyone feel even vaguely optimistic?), though not always as director himself.

The Martian was another big hit, of course, and as you guys say it's an enjoyable Saturday-evening kind of film, but hardly a classic for the ages.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Sep 2017, 21:45

Roberto Rodriguez. Not that he had lofty artistic goals, but how many "Spy Kids" sequels has he churned out by now?

Neil Marshall, though I guess directing "Game of Thrones" and "Westworld" episodes is a good direction for him.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 19 Sep 2017, 00:02

I know scabs.Westworld & Roberto Rodriguez projects are non-union. can you believe that?
uggy poopy doody.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 19 Sep 2017, 03:18

Bruce Robinson. Withnail & I. Surprised he hasn't directed more.
king of the divan

Return to “Screenadelica”