Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Samoan

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Samoan » 17 Jun 2017, 19:29

Mercy Street on the Drama channel is 3 episodes in and it's compelling, fascinating viewing, especially for me knowing almost nothing about the American Civil War.
It follows two volunteer nurses from opposing sides working in a once grand hotel in Virginia which has been converted into a makeshift hospital.

The above makes for a pretty picture but there are some more uncomfortable scenes such as a civilian doctor undertaking a previously unperformed operation on his own injured brother: stoical New England Abolitionist nurse reads out the anatomical instructions to him from a book whilst timid, but toughening-up Southern Belle Confederate nurse copes well with the chloroform anaesthetic.

Absorbing, brilliantly acted drama.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jul 2017, 17:23

Watched "Get Smart" season 2 and now watching "The Man from UNCLE" season 1 on dvd.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Jul 2017, 13:33

How have I only just found out about Detectorists.
It's an absolute joy and a fest of gentle English eccentrism.
Mackenzie Crook, who also wrote & directed, and Toby Jones are cast to perfection...

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Jul 2017, 16:27

Samoan wrote:How have I only just found out about Detectorists.
It's an absolute joy and a fest of gentle English eccentrism.
Mackenzie Crook, who also wrote & directed, and Toby Jones are cast to perfection...

I could sit happily through a weekend just watching episode after episode, and somehow feel like I was becoming a better person in doing so.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Jul 2017, 16:45

I like this kind of Danny McBride vehicle, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone who wasn't already interested. It's a bit niche-y, I guess.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Sep 2017, 20:30

Educating Greater Manchester is an absolute joy, as expected.

The highlight so far for me was the kids drawing four-letter words and cock 'n' balls all over the back door of the van.

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 Sep 2017, 15:34

The Great Defector wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I watched the first three episodes of 'Carnivale' last night. Pretty entertaining good vs. evil fantasy.

I really enjoyed that show. Shame it got cancelled after two seasons.

Me too.

Me three
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Sep 2017, 19:27

Yeah, and me... though come to think of it I never watched the second series because after watching the first I felt a bit disillusioned knowing in advance that it would lead nowhere.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Sep 2017, 11:54

The State

Channel 4 drama about four British Muslims who travel to Syria to join ISIS. This was uncomfortably compelling, scary, and sad.

The most unnerving thing about watching this though has been being redirected to some utterly stupid reviews and comments (most likely from people who have never watched it) who think this is glorifying the death cult. Depiction isn't endorsement. Next they'll be saying Schindler's List is Riefenstahl-like Nazi propaganda. Honestly, these comments are enough to give me an aneurysm and have almost made me forget what a powerful and sad piece of television The State really is because they anger me.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Sep 2017, 18:52

driftin wrote:
The most unnerving thing about watching this though has been being redirected to some utterly stupid reviews and comments (most likely from people who have never watched it) who think this is glorifying the death cult. Depiction isn't endorsement. Next they'll be saying Schindler's List is Riefenstahl-like Nazi propaganda. Honestly, these comments are enough to give me an aneurysm and have almost made me forget what a powerful and sad piece of television The State really is because they anger me.

That reminds me of when trainspotting came out and they said it glorified drug use. I remembering thinking of the scene were renton was so desperate for drugs he stuck his head down a toilet to get some he dropped. If that's glorifying then............ :?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Sep 2017, 19:34

Watched the repeat of the premiere episode of "The Orville" last night, following the hurricane relief special.

I thought it was pretty bad. Not even a proper Star Trek parody, it basically is Star Trek, with light comedic touches and a maudlin love story between the only two characters that have any depth at all. And when I say it is Star Trek, I mean down to the orchestral incidental music and long, boring docking scenes. I only thought a few bits were funny; most of the gags seemed terribly obvious attempts at humor. Could be a short voyage for the Orville if this show doesn't get the ratings the network was hoping for, since this seems like it would be a terribly expensive show to produce.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Sep 2017, 12:18

pcqgod wrote:Watched the repeat of the premiere episode of "The Orville" last night, following the hurricane relief special.

I thought it was pretty bad. Not even a proper Star Trek parody, it basically is Star Trek, with light comedic touches and a maudlin love story between the only two characters that have any depth at all. And when I say it is Star Trek, I mean down to the orchestral incidental music and long, boring docking scenes. I only thought a few bits were funny; most of the gags seemed terribly obvious attempts at humor. Could be a short voyage for the Orville if this show doesn't get the ratings the network was hoping for, since this seems like it would be a terribly expensive show to produce.

Yeah but Adrianne Palicki is in it, Hellooooo!
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Sep 2017, 11:36

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Sep 2017, 15:31

I watched it. It was disappointing.
It only lasted two minutes, not enough time to address the Vietnam War.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Sep 2017, 15:49

I was astonished not to hear "The End" or "Run Through the Jungle" so turned it off after twelve seconds.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Sep 2017, 01:40

"Battlestar Galactica" marathon on Syfy.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 Sep 2017, 12:08

Question Time is back!

and The Undateables is wonderful. The skinny kid with the specs who kept saying 'exactly' was a real sweetheart. I hope he finds someone.

and Educating Greater Manchester continues to be great. DOESN'T IT FOLKS?!? :roll:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 23 Sep 2017, 12:27

Stranger Things, finally.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Sep 2017, 20:58

Caught the first episode of 'Star Trek: Discovery' last night, which unexpectedly aired on CBS, presumably to drum up subscriptions to their streaming platform. I was pretty bored through the first 45 or so minutes of it. It seemed to confirm my suspicion that Trek has basically been done to death in the 80's/90's, and seemed to make all the same mistakes those post TOS series made -- particularly how all the aliens are basically just humans with superfluous bumps on their head. And they somehow made the Klingons even uglier than before. I'll admit it did take a while to feel comfortable with the fact that the two main leads were going to be female, and Michelle Yeoh's wise, benevolent captain character who responds to every crisis by smiling wisely and benevolently got pretty old quickly for me, but my main complaint in the long run was that the only major male character was a simpering, bumpy-head alien. BUT, the last 10 minutes or so suddenly got very interesting, and seems to be setting up what might be the "Game of Thrones" of Star Trek series, which might not be very 'Star Trek' but sure as heck seems more interesting than what I thought we were going to get.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Sep 2017, 10:25

neville from norwich wrote:Stranger Things, finally.

Ditched after the first four.

Now watching - Fargo Season 2. Quite fantastic.

Return to “Screenadelica”